Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #21
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Circled E2

I took the time to chat with Discount tire about what the circled E2 really means. Here is that chat:
Quote:
Info
at 7:00, Jun 15:
Thank you for choosing Discount Tire Chat. Our goal is simple: To provide YOU with an outstanding experience.
Info
at 7:00, Jun 15:
Hello! My name is Phillip, how may I help you today?
Bob
at 7:01, Jun 15:
can you explain to me what a circled E2 means on the sidewall of a tire
Phillip
at 7:02, Jun 15:
Hi Bob! I would be happy to explain and thank you for connecting today...
Phillip
at 7:03, Jun 15:
The E2 on the sidewall represents the construction of the tire, an E load rating refers to a 10 ply rated tire.. The "E2" specifically, is the same as a standard E, those tires just run on a different psi scale.
Phillip
at 7:04, Jun 15:
For example, an E1 or just E will reach their max load carrying capacity at 80 psi where an E2 reaches max load carry capacity at 65 psi.. It can still hold the same weight, just at a lower psi
Bob
at 7:06, Jun 15:
wow, that is completely different than what some other web site say. They are saying it is where the tire was made
Phillip
at 7:08, Jun 15:
Hm, that is odd.. Not to my knowledge, it should say somewhere on the sidewall where the tire was made, but it is not represented by the E2.
Bob
at 7:10, Jun 15:
can you go to this link and explain
Bob
at 7:10, Jun 15:
http://www.tyrespeedrating.co.uk/tyre-e-mark/
Phillip
at 7:13, Jun 15:
Ah I see, looks like I misunderstood you.. Looks like that refers to where it is made, I was more looking at this, click HERE .. This will link you to a tire with the "E2" ply construction..
Phillip
at 7:14, Jun 15:
Underneath the name of the tire you will see the size followed by the "127 Q E2"
Bob
at 7:20, Jun 15:
yes, i see that but it is not a circled E2. The reason for this is there is an argument going on on the Airstream forum about what exactly this means. There is one member who keeps saying the Michelin tire with a cicled E2 has the rating you first said. This is miss leading and has some thinking it has more load capacity than what ir really has.
Bob
at 7:22, Jun 15:
are you willing to say now that a circled E2 means where the tire was manufactured?
Phillip
at 7:25, Jun 15:
I do understand the confusion.. Now from reading up on this a bit more, it doesn't look like this is where the tire was manufactured.. The first paragraph on the link mentions the E mark... "certifies that the tyre has been approved for use in Europe.It also signals that the tyre has met certain sizing, performance and marking requirements."
Phillip
at 7:27, Jun 15:
Then the number next to the E refers to the country the tire has been approved for.. In this case, an E2 would be approved to be driven in France.
Bob
at 7:31, Jun 15:
so you are saying a circle E2 has a 10 ply E rating at 65psi? and not the other? This is very important to us who use these tires on our travel trailers.
Phillip
at 7:36, Jun 15:
No sir, sorry for the confusion.. The E2 , when referring to ply construction, is only found on wider truck tires, not trailer tires.
Phillip
at 7:39, Jun 15:
What you guys are referring to with the circled "E2" or a more common "E4" simply tells you where the tire was approved for.
Bob
at 7:40, Jun 15:
Great! that is what I needed to know. Do you mind me quoting you on what a circled E2 means?
Phillip
at 7:41, Jun 15:
Not at all, Bob!
Hopefully this will stop the miss leading on what a circled E2 means.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote