Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

I was always taught to place fresh grease inside the hub. Too much grease in either place (the hub or bearing) is bad . According to the training I have received and have followed is the heat of the driving melts the grease and it turns more to a oil , not like oil You can pour but less solid than the grease consistency. As this cycle happens the grease breaks down (that is in actual contact with the bearing) and by having extra grease in the hub it is a place for extra , some of the oils released as it heats migrate towards the bearings and help. Now all I can say is that was how I learned it. It could be all bull but it makes sense. We have large AC motors at work in the 750-1000hp range and if You take the plug out of the bearing housing you can watch these "oils" leak out when it is hot and yes these motor shafts are on roller bearings. So just another opinion for everyone to consider.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
My understanding is that grease is rated as to drip temperature. Since I don't feel like walking down to the shop and read the can, memory is that wheel bearing grease is supposed to be somewhere from 350 to 500˚ before it drips.

mile', it is good to worry about getting this right. I've had bearings fail on the road and it is not a lot of fun. Fortunately we were less than a mile from the campground we were going to, but I spent a lot of time getting part numbers and getting parts, driving back 40 miles to the NAPA, fixing damage and putting it all back together. It all started with someone at a tire dealer saying I had the wheel too loose and then he tightened it more than one whole turn.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I always use wheel bearing grease rated for disc brakes....
Old 06-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #24
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
All the advise given here is spot on. Can't say it any better but I will say it again. "Looser is better than tighter". I see nothing wrong with a little extra grease in the dust cover but don't pack it in there. You'll know if you have too much the next time you remove the wheel ( or hubcap ) cause you'll see it splattered all over. Then you'll know what you did. Clean it up and don't do that again. The true test of time will always tell. A hand on your hubs frequently will always tell you if your headed towards trouble. The digital thermometers are just the high tech way of doing just that. And they keep your hands clean too. Bye the way, I don't have one. At least not yet. I do carry a couple of old ( but servicable ) seals and bearings to get me out of trouble. Just in case.

I may be slow but I'm ahead of you.
Me 2011

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I know some guys that put extra grease in the hub caps so if at some point they need to replace a bearing in an emergency they will have grease at hand and get going again....
Old 06-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Milton , Washington
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm happy with where I'm set now. I ran about 90 miles today just to check everything and my hubs were all cool to the touch. This was all good advice! If I would have gone with what I leared in the past I'm guessing I would have had problems down the road. Lopez Island will be the first camping trip in the trailer since we've owned it!
mile2885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:44 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Long reading but here is support for the oil from the grease is what really lubricates Your bearings.
http://mountingmanager.schaeffler.co...KSZvDgs_LUxz_R

1.1.4 Lubricating Film with Grease
Lubrication
With lubricating greases, bearing lubrication is mainly effected by the base oil, small quantities of which are separated
by the thickener over time. The principles of the EHD theory also apply to grease lubrication. For calculating the viscosity ratio = /1 the operating viscosity of the base oil is applied. Especially with low values the thickener and the
additives increase the lubricating effect.

If a grease is known to be appropriate for the application in hand – e.g. the FAG Arcanol rolling bearing greases (see
page 57) – and if good cleanliness and sufficient relubrication are ensured the same K2 values can be assumed as for
suitably doped oils. If such conditions are not given, a factor from the lower curve of zone II should be selected for determining the a23II value, to be on the safe side. This applies especially if the specified lubrication interval is not observed.

The selection of the right grease is particularly important for bearings with a high sliding motion rate and for large and
heavily stressed bearings. In heavily loaded bearings the lubricating effect of the thickener and the right doping are of
particular importance.

Only a very small amount of the grease participates actively in the lubricating process. Grease of the usual consistency
is for the most part expelled from the bearing and settles at the bearing sides or escapes from the bearing via the seals.
The grease quantity remaining on the running areas and clinging to the bearing insides and outsides continuously separates the small amount of oil required to lubricate the functional surfaces. Under moderate loads the grease quantity remaining between the rolling contact areas is sufficient for lubrication over an extended period of time.

The oil separation rate depends on the grease type, the base oil viscosity, the size of the oil separating surface, the grease temperature and the mechanical stressing of the grease. The effect of the grease thickener becomes
apparent when the film thickness is measured as a function of operating time. On start-up of the bearing a film
thickness, depending on the type of thickener, develops in the contact areas which is clearly greater than that of the
base oil.

Grease alteration and grease displacement quickly cause the film thickness to be reduced, fig. 13. In spite of a possibly reduced film thickness a sufficient lubricating effect is maintained throughout the lubrication interval. The thickener and the additives in the grease decisively enhance the lubricating effect so that no life reduction has to be expected.

For long lubrication intervals, the grease should separate just as much oil as needed for bearing lubrication. In this way, oil separation over a long period is ensured. Greases with a base oil of very high viscosity have a smaller oil separation rate. In this case, adequate lubrication is only possible by packing the bearing and housing with grease to capacity or short relubrication intervals.

The lubricating effect of the thickener becomes particularly evident in the operation of rolling bearings in the mixed friction range.

FAG 12
13: Ratio of the grease film thickness to the base oil film thickness as a function of operating time Grease film thickness
Base oil thickness
t
0 10 20 30 40 50 120
min
Lubricant in Rolling Bearings
Functions of the Lubricant in Rolling Bearings
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Other threads discuss the need for all this bearing work so I'll not go into that topic. Fact is, it's proper maintenance. But it's obvious after my recent repair bill for bearing/brake/rotation maintenance that I'm going to have to learn to do this myself. We just had our 2008 23' CCD wheels and axles checked. The job included repacking four wheels; rotating tires; checking brakes (65% remaining). Cost was $556 plus maybe $23 in lube/grease/etc. Not including the $129 for an hour's worth of labor to locate and fix the propane leak under the steps. So I'm going to get myself some tools and perhaps an IR temp sensor to monitor bearing temps, as that's a big indicator of problems.
Then this topic of tightening bearings will make much more sense.
Is this really something that can be done at home by a handy trailer owner? I've repairs bicycles? Does that count?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #29
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Jim. Sure, all of this is home mechanic stuff. You need space to park and work, Jack and jackstands. When you jack up the trailer using the jacking point ( check your manual ) the 2 wheels will raise off the ground. So to make life easy plan to do 2 wheels on the same side at the same time. If doing it based on regular maintenance plan on replacing the seals and packing the bearings. Other jobs may arise as you inspect during the job. So be a good boy scout and get the seals ahead of time. There is a nice tool shown earlier on this thread for packing the bearings. It works great and will work for most all car and light truck front wheel bearings that are meant to be re-packed. Many newer vehicles have a sealed bearing that is not meant to be removed and re-packed. But you don't need the special tool. You can clean the bearings using a solvent and pack the grease using your hands just as well. Just not as fast. Re-assemble using your new seals and tighten as directed and you're good to go for a test spin. Check the hubs with your hand after a few miles. They may be warm but never should be too hot to touch. That's a symptom of the hub nut being too tight or the brakes dragging.

Sorry to ramble. The point is, this is a basic job and well within the average mechanical skills. No special tools required. Just stuff we all probably carry with us on every trip. Plenty of help here on the forum to answer any question that arise.

Good luck, go for it.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 06-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Milton , Washington
....and lots of rags or paper towels!!!
mile2885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Here's a link to a bearing repack video. I watch this every year to prepare for my bearing packing project. I do this job at the storage facility because my driveway is too steep, so I always need a reminder to help me collect tools and supplies for the trip. By the way, I'm not really impressed with the tool selection in the video but I think their point is that it doesn't take fancy tools to do this job. For me, if I come across a damaged bearing, I would rather have a local parts shop use a press to remove and install a bearing race in a hub. Fortunately with annual maintenance I never had to deal with damaged bearings or races.

Bill

Repack Trailer Hub Bearings Demonstration Video | etrailer.com
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #32
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A shop and a press make quick work of the bearing races. They definately should be replaced when replacing bearings. Of course if doing a re-packing there is no need. But they are easily replaced with common tools, ie. a long punch and ball peen hammer and a little effort. Nothing to be intimidated by. But for those that prefer it there is always the option of taking them to a shop. I've done heavy trucks using the same method. A bigger hammer and bigger punch and bigger effort but the job is the same.

my new motto " I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you ". I've read and seen some horror stories of trailer towing and this helps to keep my sane.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18