Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Cool Alcoa Wheels

OK, so we're ready to go to Mystic Springs AS part for the weekend....went through my checklist ready to leave...trailer loaded, etc.etc...
Check the air pressure in tires all at 65PSI, right where they should be. Hmmmmm.....looks like a hairline crack where a spoke and rim go together. Damn, it is a hairline crack about 1/3 of the way across the spoke....Well, I'd better check all of them....so to save a lot of time, 3 of the 4 wheels have hairline cracks in the aluminum wheels....
Called AS customer service, since my AS is a 2000 Excella it's obviously out of warrenty, so I was referred to Alcoa.
Talked to the warrenty center, I gave him the numbers off the wheel.....come to find out there are a few Alcoa aluminum wheels that have a recall notice.....
BUT, as you would suspect, mine are not on the list....so I'm stuck with buying a new set of wheels...
Do any of you have an idea where is the best place to buy aluminum wheels, and what brand do you recommend...I'm not especially interested in Alcoa after this...
Thanks for any help offered.
Larry C.
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Janet has just purchased some wheels, check out this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...oll-44081.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
These are Chinese but then I would believe any you can find are now made in China.

Aluminum Trailer Wheels

I chose the 16 in wheels and Michelin LT tires because there are no longer any 15 in trailer tires made in the USA.

Make sure what ever you do to question the valve stems anyone puts on your rig. There is a recall out for 6,000,000 bad stems. Use metal HP to be sure you don't get the junk.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Alcoas..

I am really surprised to hear this about the Alcoa forged wheels. They are about 2.5 times stronger than steel and will not rust and beautiful to boot. Most car hauler types, racecar trailers, use the same wheels as the Airstreams did. It is my understanding that these wheels did not work with the axles they went with in 06 due to the off-set, and not to mention the cast aluminum wheels they use now that are made in China are probably less than half the cost. I would not use any cast aluminum wheel on my Airstream, forged only.

If I were in your shoes I would replace the wheel and just keep an eye on them. Are you sure you did not curb them or hit a hole?
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Take a look at Buy Hi-Spec Aluminum Trailer Wheels & Accessories at RJay's Performance Center!
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post
I am really surprised to hear this about the Alcoa forged wheels. They are about 2.5 times stronger than steel and will not rust and beautiful to boot. Most car hauler types, racecar trailers, use the same wheels as the Airstreams did. It is my understanding that these wheels did not work with the axles they went with in 06 due to the off-set, and not to mention the cast aluminum wheels they use now that are made in China are probably less than half the cost. I would not use any cast aluminum wheel on my Airstream, forged only.

If I were in your shoes I would replace the wheel and just keep an eye on them. Are you sure you did not curb them or hit a hole?
Yes, I'm quite sure I did not "curb" them, even if I did, do you think it's likely that 3 out of 4 of the wheels that are on this trailer got "curbed"?
These wheels are forged wheels, HOWEVER- I was told by the warrently guy at Alcoa, that they were designed by Alcoa to be used on light trucks, not trailers....also, it's a 7" wide rim, rated for only 2,200 pounds, the replacement wheels that I'll be getting are 6" (the proper wideth for the tires) and are rated for 2,800 pounds per wheel.
Thanks for your response, I'll keep y'all posted as to how this turns out. The problem is a very obvious structural failure, Alcoa and I will be talking again tomorrow.
Larry
Old 08-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle View Post
I talked to Hi-Spec today, and will be ordering 4 of their wheels tomorrow...AFTER my chat with Alcoa.....thanks for the response
Larry
Old 08-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
These are Chinese but then I would believe any you can find are now made in China.

Aluminum Trailer Wheels

I chose the 16 in wheels and Michelin LT tires because there are no longer any 15 in trailer tires made in the USA.

Make sure what ever you do to question the valve stems anyone puts on your rig. There is a recall out for 6,000,000 bad stems. Use metal HP to be sure you don't get the junk.
Thanks for the tip, their prices seem to be competitive...
Larry C
Old 08-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
montgomery , Alabama
Larry: I have the very same wheels on my 2000 Excella. I do not have cracks, that I know of, but I will know by daylight tomorrow. I have been told 2 of mine are warped. I have done nothing to warp the wheels. Do you have the numbers for the wheels that have been recalled? The phone number where I can talk to someone? Let me know what you find out tomorrow. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks. Mike
Ramble Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble Can View Post
Larry: I have the very same wheels on my 2000 Excella. I do not have cracks, that I know of, but I will know by daylight tomorrow. I have been told 2 of mine are warped. I have done nothing to warp the wheels. Do you have the numbers for the wheels that have been recalled? The phone number where I can talk to someone? Let me know what you find out tomorrow. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks. Mike
Sorry, I didn't keep my note on the ones that have been recalled, I do remember however, that they were 16" wheels, and not the 15" that our AS has....the guys name at the warrenty/recall office is "Buddy", his phone number is 330.835.6011.....this is a direct line to his desk....good luck!
Larry C
Old 08-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
montgomery , Alabama
Thanks. Larry

I will call today and find out today what I can find out on my wheels.

Mike
Ramble Can is offline   Reply With Quote