Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Hartselle , Alabama
Tow vehicle, 27’ Safari & ProPride 3P WD setup

Ok folks…. I need a little recommendation on weight & balance.
I just purchased a 2007 27’ Safari FB and the previous owner had a ProPride 3P hitch setup installed.
I didn’t do any type of stinger adjustments when I purchased the Airstream, (she was level when hooked up) and on pulling it last weekend over a 300 mile R/T I didn’t have any sway or troubles at all.

So… nearing home I swung into the CAT scales and had a measure taken with WD bars @ 6” pull on bars.
TV-Steer: 3,340
TV-Drive: 4,360…. (1,000 lbs more than the front of the truck)
Trailer: 5,820
Total: 13,520

The next day, stopped again and had the truck (2002 F250 2wd, 7.3L diesel) weighed alone.
BTW, the axel max rating on my truck: Steer 4250, Drive 6080
TV-Steer: 3,800…. (1,000 lbs more than the rear of the truck)
TV-Drive: 2,740
Also @ home I had a Sherline trailer tongue scale and it shows 900lbs with ProPride hitch head installed.

The Safari manual states that the “DRY” weight of the trailer is 5,400…. But I’d think the 5,800 range is closer to being correct.

WHAT I’d like to find out from this group is, with the truck alone being weighed there is already a +1,000 difference between the steer & drive axel with the front of the truck supporting this beast of a 455ci engine….. so I can’t see how to use the WD ProPride hitch WD bars to level this out to make the front axel and rear axel support the same 6,540 lb weight?

So am I really looking at spreading out the 900 lb tongue weight to 1/3 steer axel, 1/3 drive axel and then 1/3 to trailer axel’s of something similar?

I am planning on going back to the CAT scales this weekend and doing to following:
WEIGHT #1
TV-Steer: ???
TV-Drive: ???
Trailer: ??? (with NO WD pull on the bars)

WEIGHT #2
Trailer: ??? (with 4” WD pull on the bars.

WEIGHT #3
Trailer: ??? (with 6” WD pull on the bars.

WEIGHT #4
Trailer: ??? (with 8” WD pull on the bars.

Any help would be appreciated.
I’m not trying to re-invent the wheel here _ but I’d bet someone has been there / done that for reference.
joel.bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
You are light on the front.

How many washers are in the ProPride? You need 500+ pounds on the front.

Doing a weighing with less pull on the bars wouldn't help. You need to transfer more to the front. by either more washers or more pull on the bars.

You won't don't need to get the axle ratio the same. That's why they are rated differently. My F350 diesel is way heavier than the rear.

Just stay below the rating of all axles, TV & TT. Check your tires for their rating as well.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Hartselle , Alabama
Thanks for the reply!!!!
So I'm assuming that more washers on the pivot button would result in a more downward angle on the tip of the stinger hitch, resulting in more force / weight being applied to the front axel when tightening the WD bars?

I have (2) washers under the pin now......
joel.bell is offline   Reply With Quote