Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #1
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
Stuck lever on release of ball

We are newbies and occasionally I can't get the release lever to go up or sometimes down when hooking or unhooking with my equilizer hitch,,,does everyone have this happen to them? Even though the ball seems lines up exactly , she won't go down,,or when we are unhooking ,,,the lever just won't release to release the ball..after all these years, you would think there would have been a better design
Sometimes I have to hit it with a plastic mallet ,sometimes have to jump on it,,sometimes start up the TW and move it a small amount,,am I missing something
Just wondering what the tricks out there are,,,from you experts

Thanks

Ken
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Not sure why you mentioned equilizer hitch but my BO hitch is never connected when I go to hookup or disconnect the ball hitch. When disconnecting, I generally chock and block AS wheels, raise power jack till I can disconnect BO, then lower it back down till weight is on TV hitch and raise ball latch. Then power jack up to release ball. Sometimes loosely block TV wheels and put into neutral helps, sometimes push on hitch to disconnect. This all assumes you're on relatively level ground.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Do you have plenty of lube on the hitch ball? You might want to spray some silicone on the lever too.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Usually happens when the ball is pushing back on the tongue lever of the hitch. Happens often to me. You simply have to pull the TV forward a tiny bit with the ball in the hitch, this takes the pressure off the lever and let's it operate freely. Without this interference built in there would be enough room for the ball to come out of the hitch while towing.
Don't bang on it, pull the TV forward. Banging on the lever can sheer the pin leaving you with a inoperable hitch.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
If the tow veh. is to far in one direction it will jam the ball on the receiver latch. If you can be sure that the vehicle won't roll away from you...unhitch with the parking brake off, in neutral, so that there will be some play in the receiver. On the complete other hand....when hooking up always be sure that the receiver latch is under the ball....firmly locking it. Sometime you can be fooled.."that looks about right" and the ball is just resting on the outside of the latch tongue. This will result in you detaching at the first bump or hill.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
My hitch does the same thing any time there's weight on it from the jack being too low or pull on it from the jack being too high. I've learned to watch the hitch closely and then move the jack up or down. The instant I see relative motion between the coupler and the ball, I stop. At that point the hitch lever is easy to operate.

I don't disagree that a horizontal load imposed by the TV trying to roll back or forward might do the same thing. Others have posted remedies for that.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
I think you all have been there
You try and get the lever to line up and you and your wife look at eachother and say
Now what?
The equilizer hitch has to actually push forward after the lever is down in position
Otherwise the holes don't line up
Thanks for all the ideas,,,guess we werent doing everything wrong
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Been towing trailers 43-years and still run into this. Don't sweat it.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
If it was easy everyone would do it....It is part of the adventure...enjoy it but resoect it as well...
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Your ball socket and locking lever should be greased periodically. Part of routine maintenance.

You should never hafta force the locking lever to lock onto trailer ball; especially with a hammer or mallet.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Beyond confirming it what others have said, I'm not ready to confess that I learned the hard way (by watching YouTube) on our first night camping that the lever has to slide forward toward about 1/2" before it can be raised. Ok, I am ready to confess that. Maybe I was the only one who missed that critical fine point in the lot at the Airstream dealer.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
If it is lubricated and not under any load the latching mechanism should work by hand. If you have to beat on it something is not right, most likely some pressure binding it. Look at the whole situation and figure out what is binding! I relive any side pressure from turning or back and forward tension before I even start to lower the tongue jack. I always block the tires on both sides of the trailer before unhitching.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinonedad View Post
,,sometimes start up the TW and move it a small amount
Thanks

Ken
Hi Ken, that's your best bet. I hitching or unhitching, you want the locking lever up. If unhitching, just move the TV a little forward or backward and you'll hear it release. If hitching, same thing, just move the TV forward or backward a tad and then the hitch should go onto the ball.

There's a safety catch up inside the hitch head, make sure that's lubed. If you grease the hitch ball each time the catch will stay lubed.

Again, just move the TV a bit forward or backward and that should do it.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
no GammaDog, you are not the only one who missed that tidbit of info. it took 3 adults with over 100 years of combined towing experience to not figure it out... fortunately another of us with a lot of reading experience consulted the manual...doh!
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Stuck lever on release of ball

I will freely admit both my son and I had trouble figuring out just the right combination of load relief, slide then lift latch lever to get the #%^*+ ball out of the coupler.

That said, now we use a ProPride and the issue only shows up during hitch lubrication and maintenance cycles. The stinger is much easier to deal with, weight and all

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Gamma dog, I too seemed to miss that bit about sliding the lever forward, and had a heck of a time until I figured it out.

All the others gave good advice about binding the ball. Enjoy the journey.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinonedad View Post
We are newbies and occasionally I can't get the release lever to go up or sometimes down when hooking or unhooking with my equilizer hitch,,,does everyone have this happen to them? Even though the ball seems lines up exactly , she won't go down,,or when we are unhooking ,,,the lever just won't release to release the ball..after all these years, you would think there would have been a better design
Sometimes I have to hit it with a plastic mallet ,sometimes have to jump on it,,sometimes start up the TW and move it a small amount,,am I missing something
Just wondering what the tricks out there are,,,from you experts

Thanks

Ken
Try adjusting it. Look under the ball mount where the lever is and there is a nut that U can turn. Maybe it is to tight.
rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
I vote for jumping up and down
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Beyond confirming it what others have said, I'm not ready to confess that I learned the hard way (by watching YouTube) on our first night camping that the lever has to slide forward toward about 1/2" before it can be raised. Ok, I am ready to confess that. Maybe I was the only one who missed that critical fine point in the lot at the Airstream dealer.
It only took me about five trips to learn that.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If the inner parts of the coupler, where the latch is, is lubricated with grease it will collect road debris. There is also some grease and metal shavings deposited there from the movement on the hitch ball. Sometimes this will build up and dry out/harden making the underjaw stick in place, which can cause the symptoms listed in the original post. I occasionally use brake cleaner in a spray can to remove all of the old grease and grime. Then re-lube.

(image from Etrailer.com)