Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2023, 06:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Los Angeles , California
Recognize These WDH Brackets?

I just bought a new-to-me 2017 30' International Serenity. The previous owner (who I don't know) left the brackets installed on the frame from his WDH. Does anyone recognize these (see photo) in terms of the WDH brand/model?

If I can't identify the brackets, I'm thinking about going with a new Blue Ox Track Pro 1350. Does that send up any immediate red flags from those of you who are more experienced?

And, I know this is a royally stupid question, but could I use these existing already-installed brackets for my new WDH or would I need to replace them? I mean, are they universal? Thanks, everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown-1.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	429846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	429847  

Dsapp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Definitely Equal-i-zer. I have this exact same hitch. They are probably not compatible with the Blue Ox hitch you mention. The Blue Ox bars are more tapered towards the end and the Equalizer bars are square. Also the Equalizer bars are usually longer than other hitch bars, so the bracket can be set further back.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington

They look like brackets for the Equal-i-zer hitch which is very similar to the Track Pro. It's possible the brackets could be interchanged, but I'd get confirmation from someone with more knowledge than me.

As for hitch options and concerns, there are a lot of opinions out there. I have the SwayPro and really like it. There are some who think the SwayPro has less adjustability than other hitches. I find it to meet my needs well and I've never experienced any sway events since getting that hitch.

One concern with the Equal-i-zer has been speculation about whether it causes front end separation on Airstreams. Possibly due to it's very solid bars, which would transfer more strain (potentially) to the trailer. The BlueOx TrackPro uses tapered bars which could resolve some of that. the TrackPro is noiser than the SwayPro, but also reduces the risk of user error leading to injury due to trying to release the SwayPro latches without first removing the tension from them. They are under a lot of force when engaged. I may be guilty of this, in part, and came out lucky. But it's only a problem if you fail to follow the correct unhitching procedure.

CanAmRV really likes the Eaz-Lift Elite for it's adjustability and performance on their race track. You can check out their blog and videos.

A lot of folks really like the ProPride and Hensley Arrow hitches. For a larger Airstream like yours, that could provide some added advantage.

And then the WeighSafe is another popular one that makes adjusting the hitch properly much easier to confirm. That and the ProPride/Hensley have the disadvantage of moving your trailer further back from your rear axle, which also does introduce additional forces.

Others will, I'm sure, provide more detailed feedback, but that should give you a start to the lay of the land. There are a lot more options still out there.

Good luck end enjoy your new to you trailer!
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

The front end separation issue has more to do with the front storage compartment layout than the hitch. If your storage compartment door is in the rear or sides it's not an issue. As far as hitch culprits pretty much every hitch has been implicated. In some cases the problem has been identified by folks towing on the ball with no weight distribution, or even on the dealers lot brand new trailers. I think because the Equalizer hitch is more commonly used it has been assigned the blame, but in reality it's a lot more complicated than that.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
The front end separation issue has more to do with the front storage compartment layout than the hitch. If your storage compartment door is in the rear or sides it's not an issue. As far as hitch culprits pretty much every hitch has been implicated. In some cases the problem has been identified by folks towing on the ball with no weight distribution, or even on the dealers lot brand new trailers. I think because the Equalizer hitch is more commonly used it has been assigned the blame, but in reality it's a lot more complicated than that.

That’s fair. I should have been clear that was all speculation and inference at this point.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:47 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Los Angeles , California
Thank you for the responses! I will do some initial research on the Equal-i-zer WDH and make a decision about how it might perform for me compared to starting fresh with a BO Track Pro.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Bonus--you've already got the Equalizer Bracket Jackets installed. That's a $28 upgrade right there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51zGkqNAn3L.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	429871  
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsapp1 View Post
Thank you for the responses! I will do some initial research on the Equal-i-zer WDH and make a decision about how it might perform for me compared to starting fresh with a BO Track Pro.
FWIW.... TrackPro is suggested for smaller campers, the SwayPro is suggested for larger ones.

We have a SwayPro w/ our 20FB, we like it.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
FWIW.... TrackPro is suggested for smaller campers, the SwayPro is suggested for larger ones.

We have a SwayPro w/ our 20FB, we like it.

The gross towing weight on the TrackPro is 13000 lbs (as opposed to 20000 lbs on the SwayPro). Both are still plenty for any Airstream, I think. When they say recommended for larger ones, they mean really big. Though that is perhaps where the Equal-i-zer might shine more on bigger trailers without the tapering in the bars.

One other note, although those brackets are pretty simple, easy to inspect, and seem in good condition, that is one benefit of starting fresh, you know how all the gear was treated and that there wasn't some mistreatment that could result in a failure.
Old 04-06-2023, 09:22 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
Wdh

Don't miss checking out the Andersen Hitch. It is very simple to use, lightweight, performs marvelously and is priced reasonably. It uses a chain instead of a bar so porpoiseing is greatly reduced and it is absolutely quiet. I am on my 2nd trailer with the hitch. Good luck!
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 09:46 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Equal-i-zer
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:13 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
They silence a lot of the the snap-crackle-pop when turning.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:45 AM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Been using the BO Swaypro for 5+ years. Very pleased with the product...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 02:00 PM   #14

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Been using the BO Swaypro for 5+ years. Very pleased with the product...

BO! [emoji106] Second best only to ProPride.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 04:17 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Rapid City , South Dakota
With our 23cb the BlueOx Trackpro brackets couldn’t extend low enough to pair with the BMW X7, but the dealer had some extra Equalizer brackets that looked like these and extended low enough. They worked well together for several thousand miles before we traded the 23 in. You’ll just want to make sure the installed distance from the ball is correct for track pro bars if that’s what you go with. Not sure if they are a different length than the Equalizer or not.
hotcorner27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Agree!

I have also found what I believe is a new culprit for the shell frame issue with any hitch. If you go up or down a very steep incline turning on to a road from a driveway with the weight distribution bars on that puts a huge amount of stress on the trailer. I know after doing this in Sequoia and then seeing at a stop all the sheet metal screws under the chrome molding trim holding the shell to the frame rails protruding 2.5 inches ripped out of the metal. Lucky for us next stop was Vinnies North Bay who helped us out and gave me a good lesson on the Wheelbarrow leverage theory. I called equalizer they recommend on very uneven roads or steep driveways to stop , get out and swing the bars out of the way. No sway control is needed at speeds under 30 mph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 01:29 PM   #17
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
I think you might be on to something Herv. Now all we need is for someone to come up with a WD hitch that we can decouple below 30 MPH. Kind of like the stabilizer bars on the RAM Power Wagons which you can disconnect for off-roading.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 01:34 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Los Angeles , California
I just spoke to the BO folks, and they did their best to persuade me against the BO TrackPro 1350 and towards the BO SwayPro 1500. They didn't seem to know whether I would need the 9-hole shank or the standard 7-hole shank? Is there any down side of getting the 9-hole shank if I end up not needing it?

I'm still thinking about the Equal-i-zer as well. Just narrowing down my choices at this point, getting input and doing research.

Thanks, everyone, for your generosity in sharing your expertise and experience.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:21 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
I believe as other have stated, the brackets are most likely Equilizer brand, they should be 2.0" wide, whereas the Blue Ox brackets are 1.5" wide and do not have the plastic "silencers".

One thing to note, on the Blue Ox Track Pro, the tapered bars rest on the bracket without the plastic pieces, so on our GT27 set up, the metal-to-metal causes wear on the "L" brackets. I put a 0.030" radius on the bottom edge of the bars where they contact the bracket to reduce the gouging and wear on the inside bend of the "L" brackets, but they bars still wear into the brackets. Since the brackets are narrower than the Equlizer ones, I cannot just add the plastic wear pieces. I keep an eye on the brackets, smooth them out a bit before each trip, and will replace them with another set of OE ones or maybe switch over to Equilizer, but I have a few miles to go before needing that.

In the back of my mind I do wonder if Blue Ox is using the metal-to-metal contact as an additional friction point to reduce sway, but then again, their concept is to use the bar pivot angle to center the trailer and reduce sway, which is the basis of the chain linked Sway Pro.

Steve
SteveinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 03:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

What I dislike about the BO Sway Pro is the orientation of the chain latching devices. They require a long handled socket wrench to operate in a difficult orientation, and need considerable force and strength to safely tighten and loosen chains. On the Airstream there's not much space between the front of the trailer and propane cover. A friend of mine broke his leg uncoupling the hitch when he lost control of the wrench as the spring bar rapidly unwound the chain whipping the wrench into his calf, breaking it.