Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2016, 04:56 AM   #101
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
The Villages , Florida
Touch-up paint for Sway Pro

For touching up those rust spots, I found that Rustoleum Hammered Finish #7218 "Dark Bronze" is pretty close.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:06 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olrocker View Post
For touching up those rust spots, I found that Rustoleum Hammered Finish #7218 "Dark Bronze" is pretty close.
Thanks for that, it is a project I need to get too. The stock finish chips easily and then rust quickly.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Blue Ox convert

Recently transitioned from an Equalizer hitch with 1K bars to the Blue Ox, also with 1K bars, to tow our 07 Safari 25 FB. Was towing with a Ford F-150 and the Equalizer did a good job. Recently traded up to an F-250 diesel which has a much stiffer suspension and felt the Equalizer was transmitting too much vibration to the trailer….we had noted lots of displaced cushions and such after towing.

So after reading about the softer ride of the Blue Ox and discussing with some folks I know who have them, I made the switch. Have done several trips now with the Blue Ox and offer the following observations from the peanut gallery:

I have noted a definite reduction in movement/displacement of cushions and such with the Blue Ox. Additionally it appears the trailer has a tighter turning radius….which I really notice when backing into a tight site. It is a “softer” tow which takes a little getting used to, but nice once you do. Assume that is due to the spring nature of the BO bar as opposed to the stiff square bar of the Equalizer. So for us, a good change, accomplished exactly what I was looking for.

Incidentally, I did not turn off the “anti-sway” on the F-250 without any unusual operation of the vehicle. Handled beautifully, did not note any increased movement when passed by large tractor trailers. Will experiment with this recommendation later, but it handled quite well without doing so.

Hope this will prove useful to those considering a change.
Tom
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:10 PM   #104
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
old style BOSP hitch - warning

Notice - there is a Texas dealer that had three old style BOSP hitches in stock. Do not purchase these. One was recently sold to a customer who thought they were getting the new hitch. The old design has an adjustable head, a solid shank, and side tilt chain tighteners. Get latest version of hitch. You will be much happier. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:50 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Too bad all the BI threads can not be combined. Might save having to post the same information on so many different threads.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
We have the Blue Ox Sway Pro...got it for the same reasons you mentioned. It's a great hitch. Be careful hooking and unhooking the chains...raise the trailer and truck with the jack and you will be ok. No noise and no stress on vehicle hitch or trailer that I can tell. Does it's job. Dealer installed mine and I had to apply one extra link of chain to raise tension on my bars to get the feel in the steering of tow vehicle I wanted after first tow. Other than that no adjustments needed. I got the 1000# bars even tho my trailer tongue wt. was only 750-800lbs. Better to be a little over than light. The Blue Ox bars seem to have more give and better flex than my previous xxxxx brand hitch.

Were happy with the Blue Ox! When installing be sure the chains are straight up and down when locked in for travel. There is a great video online of the installation. I think the link is on the Blue Ox website.
Actually you gain nothing in performance by going to a heavier than needed bar other than a rougher ride for the trailer and the TV as well. The closer the bars are to the actual tongue weight the better.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #107
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Agree - We have quite a few threads out there that discuss the BOSP. It would be great to have one that was easy for folks to find with some info in a sticky to make it easier for folks to learn about the hitch.

Never really liked this thread, because it added a thread when it should have continued to post on one of the two existing threads. But at least it is one of the longer ones. Pat
Old 08-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Tuesday there were 4 threads showing and next I knew there was a 5th added and more than 40k hits.
I thought the MODS were monitoring this and combining them.
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #109
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
FYI post 21 identifies a deformed spring bar issue that should be addressed with replacement.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-192842-2.html
Old 03-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #110
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
BO...if you're happy it's good.
If others are not it isn't.🤔

I use %^#$(*&... brand I too are happy. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #111
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Is this the definitive Blue Ox thread? I’ll read it later tonight. I’m picking up a new 25’ Globetrotter tomorrow. The dealer in Chicago only carries Blue Ox. So, that’s what I’m getting. Will possibly test it out in snow on Wednesday. Yikes!! Trading in our 23FC FB. Pulling with our 2012 Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4. Hopefully there’s good reviews in these six pages on Blue Ox.
Thx
Jeff

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #112

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Is this the definitive Blue Ox thread? I’ll read it later tonight. I’m picking up a new 25’ Globetrotter tomorrow. The dealer in Chicago only carries Blue Ox. So, that’s what I’m getting. Will possibly test it out in snow on Wednesday. Yikes!! Trading in our 23FC FB. Pulling with our 2012 Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4. Hopefully there’s good reviews in these six pages on Blue Ox.
Thx
Jeff
See also:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ro-123666.html

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Thx
Jeff
GettinAway, you'll be fine with the BlueOx as it works as advertised when set up correctly. I'm guessing they'll set you up with 1000 lbs. bars.

Quick tips I've learned from experience:
* Make sure the trailer is level when on the hitch.
* NEVER disconnect unless the truck & trailer are straight (bars will be under more tension when truck is turned).
* Raise the trailer using the trailer jack to make it easier to connect the bars.
* Do the same when disconnecting.

We're around 1100 lbs tongue weight and moved up to 1500 lbs. bars and adjust by using one less link than the 1000 lbs. bars.

Good luck with your new setup!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:30 PM   #114
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Thanks for the tips! Got to page three. I’m not sure I’ll get to the other thread. I’ll get a review from the installer at the AS dealer in Chicago tomorrow or Wednesday. I do see snow in the forecast on Wednesday, so we may end up along side the road somewhere on the way home, waiting out a snow storm. I really, really hate getting road salt all over our brand new trailer!

Old 02-04-2020, 09:19 AM   #115
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Review the BO dot method of marking the bars for size. On occasion bars get swapped in the dealer inventory. Verify that you end up with the correct bar size.

And do get a long breaker bar if you end up with the rotator locks. However, I did see a BO hitch recently, that used a lift up design configuration to set and lock the chains. Either someone got inventive or the world of BO changed.

If your new coach is not equipped with the better quality ball screw design, the upgrade is worth the investment.

Good luck with the new coach. Travel safe. Pat
Old 02-05-2020, 01:17 AM   #116
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Put me in the category of Blue Ox Supporter. It’s so different from my EZ hitch with the weight distribution bars etc. coming home with the 25FB with the Blue Ox, was definitely easier than going up (from St Louis to Chicago and back) with the 23FB and the EZ hitch. Of course, the 20 mph headwind going up, and the 20 mph tailwind coming home May have had just a little to do with that..

Old 02-05-2020, 03:43 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
The Blue Ox hitch, like the Anderson hitch, can interfere with your tow vehicle's electronic stability control system. Their manuals tell you to disable the TSC, something you should absolutely not do. If you experience such interference you should ask for your money back.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:43 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
The Blue Ox hitch, like the Anderson hitch, can interfere with your tow vehicle's electronic stability control system. Their manuals tell you to disable the TSC, something you should absolutely not do. If you experience such interference you should ask for your money back.

We have used our BO for 10k+ miles last year with our Ford F-250. We do not disable sway control on the truck and stay at or under 65 but have also gone 70+ with no sway issues whatsoever in many situations with high side winds. We are happy campers with the BO. It is also much quieter than other friction based hitches. That is our experience. YMMV.