Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Ottawa , Ontario
Smile towing with a Nissan Pathfinder

Hi,

I have a Nissan Pathfinder V6 (275HP) with 6000# tow rate and 600# hitch weight.

I am considering purchasing either a 19 or a 23 foot International. Obviously, the 23 foot would be preferred (I am planning to be away foro about 6 weeks during our very the long winter months) but I am concerned that its listed hitch wight is 700#.

Would either a Hensley of Reese Dual address this problem, or would I be better off with the 19 foot Bambi.

I am new to this so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello sunseeker -- Welcome to the Forums! Pathfinder? Maybe a 19' Bambi but I surely wouldn't go much larger. The Pathfinder-titled http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ccd-38632.html thread doesn't really address the issue. But Pathfinders are mentioned quite often if you do a general search -- there's a bit of work to pick through the threads.

Excess muscle is always the easy answer to any tow equation. I do feel that a 23-footer is asking too much of a 6 cylinder Pathfinder. Consider that the listed 700# 23' International hitch weight does not reflect the added weight of propane in the tanks or weight distribution gear mounted at the A-frame/bumper. Most of this up front weight is going to add to hitch weight. With a modest amount of personal gear aboard I will almost guarantee a hitch weight of 850# -- probably a bit more.

Nissan's Pathfinder online specs don't begin to provide useful figures -- a caution. Your manual would have load capacity (also called payload) figures. This is the total amount of weight you can load in or on your Pathfinder and keep it within specs for frame, suspension and running gear -- with safety of emergency braking and maneuvering being my principal interest. For instance Edmunds lists a 1186# payload for a 2007 V6 4WD LE. That gives you a scarce 300 pounds of added driver/passengers, pets, options, gear onboard the tow vehicle. And this assumes that the listed payload already includes a heavier Class III/IV hitch receiver. A tow package with tow prewire and extra tranny cooling is almost mandatory.

Buying a smaller Airstream than fits your needs could result in an unsatisfactory user experience or buying again in a couple seasons -- resulting in eating out-the-door depreciation twice. For that kind of money I'd say kick the tires on all the Airstreams in sight, plan for what fits your needs, and then go for an adequate tow vehicle. With this path you could economize more than you would by staying shackled to such a limited Pathfinder ... in my opinion.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome Back From the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I wholehartedly agree with Bob. A 23 towed with the Pathfinder would most likely make for an unpleasant towing experience. Even a 19 would probably be marginal. To be a happy camper, pick the Airstream that works for you and your situation. Then get a TV that can safely handle the load.

Remember that unpleasant towing experiences are the leading cause of perfectly good Airstreams becoming very expensive pieces of yard art.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Hi Sunseeker, and welcome to the forums. I have 1 1/2 years tow experience with a 2004 Pathfinder and a 24" 1960 Tradewind at 3150# dry weight and unloaded tongue at 300#. When loaded for the road with empty holding tanks the Tradewind came in at 3700#, probably less then a loaded 19 or 23 foot International. With the Pathfinder packed for camping, passengers, and hitched to the trailer, the combined weight on CAT scales was always between 500 and a 1000 less then the combined gross vehicle weight rating (CGVWR) of 9500#. The original Reese weight distribution set-up worked fine for most sway issues, but I felt an occasional nudge from a passing semi. The Pathfinder wheel base is so short. But my biggest problem was being underpowered on moderate hills even when traveling with empty holding tanks. Steeper grades where slow and laborous at best. Speeding up quickly (i.e. in an emergency or passing) was out of the question. Like CanoeStream mentioned, I wouldn't have not even attemped towing any Airstream with the Pathfinder had I not installed a transmission cooler and more appropriate wiring to the 7-pin connector.

You can push the envelope with a Pathfinder if you keep your CGVWR under specs, but you still loose some of the safety margin and will probably be disappointed with performance.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Nissan makes a 5.6L Pathfinder, though its availability is limited. If you are "stuck" with the Pathfinder, get the best towing setup you can find to help compensate, and as soon as you can, you can get a more adequate tow vehicle.
V8 power is not mandatory, but strongly suggested. If you can wait to get a new tow vehicle until 2010 model year, you will have some more interesting choices available to you, depending on economic conditions.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Airstreamin' in Canada

1973 27' Overlander
Waterdown , Ontario
I have been towing our 1973 Airstream Overlander with a 2005 Pathfinder. There is no question that although we are well within limits, a bigger truck would have better performance.

Like many SUVs the Pathfinder has a high center of gravity. I have found that towing with a Hensley has really helped establish a better feeling of stability on the highway.

That being said, not a bad choice in vehicle for your application.
mlang905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Nissan engines rock

I have never towed with a Pathfinder but have used 2 Nissan V6 engines over the past 12 years for towing and they have been very good power plants for our 23'. For us using aerodynamics to full advantage the VQ 3.5 version IMHO has power to spare.

One guy from Montreal "Claude B" on the Trailer Life forum has talked about his Pathfinder/25'SOB experiences quite a bit. He says it works well for him. An aerodynamic Airstream should work even better.

Here is the connection to Claude if you want to do some info gathering..

Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Member Profile: Claude B