Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waterloo , Ontario
Hey ... I have two tow vehicles that pull my 2011 19'.... both have the same 3.6L v6 Dodge motor - 2012 Journey RT and a 2014 Town and Country. Towed of 18000kms last summer through the mountains of northern Canada and back with never an issue.

John.
JohnGough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waterloo , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGough View Post
Hey ... I have two tow vehicles that pull my 2011 19'.... both have the same 3.6L v6 Dodge motor - 2012 Journey RT and a 2014 Town and Country. Towed of 18000kms last summer through the mountains of northern Canada and back with never an issue.

John.
I should further mention that the factory hitch is not adequate for both the tongue weight and distribution. My AS dealer added more steel to ensure the receiver can take the tongue weight and the weight was moved as fair forward to the front axle as possible. All good.
JohnGough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Lots 'o comments and suggestions. My input is consider everything that you want to take on a trip or journey that won't fit or can't be secured in the AS; and which you may want to ensure is secured in your TV; and still have a nice daily driver. My daily driver is an 08 Expedition, avg 17 mpg in routine use, 13-14 mpg depending on hills and headwind when towing. Big? Yep. But by the time I deal with a large cooler, my grill, a couple of chairs, a folding table, et al, it's what works for me. Oh, ours is a 19', and also a 23' recently acquired. Works for both, still have to tote the same stuff. Enjoy!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Bob makes a good point in that with a smaller trailer, often you are by necessity forced to have more items in the vehicle. Which of course uses up available payload.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I might add something with a little more comfort, especially looking at making cross country trips and plenty capable.

Available in your area.

2014 Audi
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:05 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
+1 VW Touareg TDI

We originally were going for the 19 but decided to go with the 23D. She pulls like a champ and recommend it (Touareg). After much reading and research, I traded my Audi Allroad for the Touareg TDI over the gas version because I prefer torque over HP. If you ever move up from your 19 to a 23 you're covered
i2oadRunnei2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #27

Austin , Texas
Wow!! Thank you all so much for your input and advice, it's incredibly helpful. I see a couple of different recommendations for the VW Touareg, and I have a question: why does the Touareg have a tow rating of over 7000 lbs, and the Honda Pilot and Ridgeline both have a rating of 5000 lbs, when the HP and torque are so similar? At first I thought I was confusing the Touareg's tow capacity with the old diesel model, but the 2017 V6 still has the higher tow rating. Really curious why two similar engines would have such different capacities?

(And for those who asked, we weren't considering a truck mainly because we have a large convertible carseat for our toddler; hadn't looked at the Ridgeline enough to see it has a backseat! Also, the everyday convenience of getting things (groceries, stroller, etc.) in and out of a car's trunk vs. a truck's bed, even a covered one, is the other main consideration. But we're thinking about it now - you all had some good points about using the bed for storage while camping, especially for items you wouldn't want in the back of a SUV. Thanks! Lots to think about!)
Leanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:31 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanan View Post
Wow!! Thank you all so much for your input and advice, it's incredibly helpful. I see a couple of different recommendations for the VW Touareg, and I have a question: why does the Touareg have a tow rating of over 7000 lbs, and the Honda Pilot and Ridgeline both have a rating of 5000 lbs, when the HP and torque are so similar? At first I thought I was confusing the Touareg's tow capacity with the old diesel model, but the 2017 V6 still has the higher tow rating. Really curious why two similar engines would have such different capacities?

(And for those who asked, we weren't considering a truck mainly because we have a large convertible carseat for our toddler; hadn't looked at the Ridgeline enough to see it has a backseat! Also, the everyday convenience of getting things (groceries, stroller, etc.) in and out of a car's trunk vs. a truck's bed, even a covered one, is the other main consideration. But we're thinking about it now - you all had some good points about using the bed for storage while camping, especially for items you wouldn't want in the back of a SUV. Thanks! Lots to think about!)
You can put 3 car seats in the back of a 4 door pickup too!

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
You can put 3 car seats in the back of a 4 door pickup too!
You can also put 3 car seats with screaming kids in the bed of a pickup!

JUST KIDDING!!! ( I couldn't help it! )
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:58 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
How do you organize the truck bed?

Following this string with great interest. The main reason I've decided to shop for a large SUV (i.e. Ford Expedition with tow package) versus a truck (i.e. Ford F150 Supercrew with short cab) is that I can't visualize how one organizes the bed so it is, well, organized. I mean, you throw the bike in there along with your other crap and what? Let it slide around, or pack in stuff tightly so it doesn't? Or have boxes that fit? I've looked at the strap system for holding stuff in place and it looks like a hassle to use. How has everyone organized their bed area so it's organized, clutter free, etc. Thank you for your inputs. Great forum.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
Following this string with great interest. The main reason I've decided to shop for a large SUV (i.e. Ford Expedition with tow package) versus a truck (i.e. Ford F150 Supercrew with short cab) is that I can't visualize how one organizes the bed so it is, well, organized. I mean, you throw the bike in there along with your other crap and what? Let it slide around, or pack in stuff tightly so it doesn't? Or have boxes that fit? I've looked at the strap system for holding stuff in place and it looks like a hassle to use. How has everyone organized their bed area so it's organized, clutter free, etc. Thank you for your inputs. Great forum.
We've been using our AS since we bought it last July and getting a feel for what we want and, just as you asked, how to pack it. I do not like things that are unorganized or move while traveling. We first bought a bicycle rack and lock the bikes with a cable to our tiedowns in the bed: http://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-Bi...FUcvgQodJc4APA. Works great.

We've used large rubbermaid type containers in the bed of the truck to hold our cast iron cookware and other items ( grill, stabilizer and jack boards, extra water hose...) and it works out very well. We arrange them to pack in pretty tight in to the front of the bed. I then tie a rope over/around the back of the containers to keep the load from shifting as an extra precaution. We do the same thing when traveling with our boat and it works out very well. We bought the same type of container for storing items needed in the rear locker so they wouldn't shift. It holds our Anderson chocks/leveler, 25' water hose, level, electrical cord, hitch ball cover, gloves, and stabilizer handle, and keeps everything secure and immobile. Things that move while traveling breaks things. I got complacent during a sail in the Bahamas and didn't remove my gas can from the dinghy one night. The next morning I had a deflated hull because the movement rubbed a hole in the side. Lesson learned.

I'm now looking at dividing up the items by use (ie cookware in one, maintenance in another...) now that we're getting a handle on what we need and how things work for us (finishing my cast iron collection this week!!!). The containers make it easy when you want to reconfigure things and they keep things dry and organized. I've thought of building custom storage but am worried that I'll just be adding unnecessary weight.

We're also looking at adding a generator and propane tank to be stored in the bed of the truck and will have that secured in it's own container/enclosure as well.

That's us. I hope others see your post and we can learn how others do this. Great question. Thanks.
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
That's because tow ratings are about a lot more than just the engine. I'm not sure what the specific differences are between those two cars but in general: wheelbase, frame strength and design, receiver construction, vehicle weight, axle specs, suspension, brake size and design, transmission strength and cooling are among a few of the other features that affect towing.
Nothinghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #33

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinghead View Post
That's because tow ratings are about a lot more than just the engine. I'm not sure what the specific differences are between those two cars but in general: wheelbase, frame strength and design, receiver construction, vehicle weight, axle specs, suspension, brake size and design, transmission strength and cooling are among a few of the other features that affect towing.
Oh ok, that makes a lot of sense, thanks! Just goes to show how much I have to learn
Leanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
One might suspect the marketing department has the final say on tow ratings, as well as other ratings.

The Touareg gas and diesel models have much different engines, everything else is there in both, but the tow rating doesn't change.

The Honda van has the same engine/transmission as the Ridgeline, the bodies have a different configuration, but the van is rated to tow 3500 lbs, the Ridgeline 5000 lbs.

You could go back many years and the Honda van was rated to tow 3500 lbs. Today's Honda van is more substantial in every way but still rated to tow 3500 lbs.

A few years ago Toyota Tundra's lost over a thousand pounds (does anyone have the exact number?) in tow rating from one year to the next, the truck didn't change. The reason was officially given as a new towing standard.

Airstream trailers with low profile, streamlined frontal area and rounded, low profile sides and more stable independent suspensions tow better than box shaped trailers sitting high on solid axle suspensions. Tow ratings don't recognize it.

Hitch systems range from towing on the ball, to weight distribution hitches of varied ability, and many with sway control or sway elimination devices. Tow ratings don't recognize the difference.

Hitch installers vary from the new guy in the shop to experts who consider every aspect of the combination, change and/or reinforce receivers, tires, and shocks. Then set up the combination for best possible performance. Tow ratings don't recognize the difference.

Tow ratings are a shopping tool, a place to start, but there is more to a safe and comfortable towing combination. Google Can-Am Towing Expertise to learn more.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post

So this is about as BAD as it gets.

We have a 22 sport. Pull with a Tundra extended cab short bed.

Were going to Yellowstone for a 10 day trip and had 4 adults and had to bring our food and adult beverages for 25 meals, and bikes, 2 large coolers, and generator and gas can, and fresh water can, and waste dump tote, and tools and clothes.

So we loaded the bikes first, after removing the front wheels. Used a flexible key lock and locked to the tie down ring on the bed.

Then we had a black footlocker box-- a large "Tool Box". It is waterproof and lockable. It has the generator, gas can, jumper cables, extra tools, lighter fluid. Both padlocked closed, and locked to the side of the truck bed.

Then 2 large stacked green lidded totes had food, charcoal, smokey joe BBQ, and bottled water. We brought enough that we did not shop for any food during the trip. This is secured to the bed with a ratchet strap tie-down. (since we would not need until arrival on day 3)

Then a 5 gallon fresh water jerry can, then large gray wastewater dump tote, and the big ole' cooler.

In the airstream we had a small bag cooler and a picnic basket with food for the 2 travel days.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Oh ok, that makes a lot of sense, thanks! Just goes to show how much I have to learn
Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has defined a standard for deciding the vehicle tow ratings. Toyota was the first manufacturer to adopt the standard. The domestic manufacturers followed a few years later. The standard is called J2807 and defines a set of well defined tests to assess the pulling/stopping power, the cooling systems, hitch strength, and handling of a tow vehicle. As others have stated factors like the frame strength, suspension, etc are sometimes hard limiting factors. Here is a link to J2807 standard:

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/what-i...cks-1593305929

Sometimes there seems to be discrepancies in tow ratings of certain vehicles. For example, Mercedes ML used to have a tow rating of 5000#. Suddenly, the tow ratings was raised to 7200#. Everything looked "identical". Same body style, engine, transmission, suspension, etc., yet an increased tow rating of 2200#. What was not so obvious was that Mercedes had modified the chassis, hence the increased ratings. Personally, I would not read too much into these "discrepancies".
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
San Marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
BMW X5 diesel

We tow our caravel with a BMW X5d and love it. Not only that, but it is a wonderful every day driver. Check out specs and you will be surprised.
More torque than a new F150 ecoboost and heavier too.
kevinkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Lexus GX is the most pleasant midsize SUV you could want for a daily driver that also has excellent towing ability. If our trailer wasn't so big, I'd pull it with a GX. I know the GX is in the upper limit of your budget, but an older model with low mileage will give like-new performance.

Lexus has outstanding reliability too; unmatched by any of the other vehicles mentioned. I wish Honda did as well. I'm afraid to pull anything with a Honda transmission. I love love loved our VW TDI, but the little bitty stuff on the car that kept breaking soured our love affair, and I disposed of it.

As a group, European cars tend to have higher towing capacity than likesize Japanese and American cars. Porsche Cayenne also has my attention. Should be a hoot to drive. But I'm afraid to look too close; I might get Cayenne fever, lol.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Winchester , Virginia
You need to make sure the vehicle is set up for towing,beefed up transmission etc.4500 empty weight with 5000 towing capacity doesn't leave any leeway for your belongings.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Gypsy Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #40
Camano Islander

2007 19' Bambi
1965 17' Caravel
Camano Island , WA
Just make really sure your tongue weight is correct! I had to trade in my 2016 Highlander to tow my 19 Bambi as the Highlander has a 500 lb tongue limit and the Bambi has a 630 lb tongue weight. I lost a lot of money with the trade to the Toyota Tacoma but I love it now.

ms
CamanoIsland is offline   Reply With Quote