Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Louisburg , North Carolina
Question Towing a 16' Sport w/ Frontier Pro 4X

Hello,

First time Airstream Owner here with a 2017 Airstream 16' Sport. I don't even have a tow vehicle yet but I really like the 2014 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X but before I pull the trigger I was hoping someone could tell me if it would be sufficient to tow my 16'? I plan to travel around most of the country(if that matters). Thanks so much!

Here is what I know about the camper and TV:
Camper Details:
Airstream 16' Sport
Hitch Weight(w/ lp & batt) 350 lbs
Unit Base Weight(w/ lp & batt) 2860 lbs
GVW Rating 3500 lbs
Net Carrying Capacity 640 lbs

2014 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
Curb Weight 4548 lbs. Towing Capacity (Max.) 1000/6100 lbs.
Payload Capacity for Trucks 1078 lbs.
Gross Vehicle Weight for Trucks 5600 lbs.
Drive Type 4WDWD
Engine Size 4.0L engine
Number of Cylinders 6 cylinders
Horsepower 261 horsepower@5600rpm
Torque (ft-lbs) 281 torque@4000rpm
Compression Ratio 9.7:1
Camshaft Variable Timing DOHC
Engine Type Gas
Bore 3.76
Stroke 3.62
Valves per Cylinder 4
joeltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I think that would be a great setup! We towed our 16' with a Honda Pilot all around the Sierras and it was less capable than the Frontier.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
I would have zero concerns. I tow with a SUV with 4500 Tow capacity and 441 Hitch Weight and it tows like a dream.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeltb View Post
Hello,

First time Airstream Owner here with a 2017 Airstream 16' Sport. I don't even have a tow vehicle yet but I really like the 2014 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X but before I pull the trigger I was hoping someone could tell me if it would be sufficient to tow my 16'? I plan to travel around most of the country(if that matters). Thanks so much!

Here is what I know about the camper and TV:
Camper Details:
Airstream 16' Sport
Hitch Weight(w/ lp & batt) 350 lbs
Unit Base Weight(w/ lp & batt) 2860 lbs
GVW Rating 3500 lbs
Net Carrying Capacity 640 lbs

2014 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
Curb Weight 4548 lbs. Towing Capacity (Max.) 1000/6100 lbs.
Payload Capacity for Trucks 1078 lbs.
Gross Vehicle Weight for Trucks 5600 lbs.
Drive Type 4WDWD
Engine Size 4.0L engine
Number of Cylinders 6 cylinders
Horsepower 261 horsepower@5600rpm
Torque (ft-lbs) 281 torque@4000rpm
Compression Ratio 9.7:1
Camshaft Variable Timing DOHC
Engine Type Gas
Bore 3.76
Stroke 3.62
Valves per Cylinder 4
Perhaps the most important info isn't here, and you won't know until you hitch it and load it.

The truck's axle ratings (GAWR) will show the total weight the truck can carry safely, the truck's combined weight rating (GCWR) will show what the loaded truck with the trailer can pull and stop. The load you intend to put in the truck, where you carry it, and the trailer's hitch weight after weight distribution is applied will determine if the truck's axles are overloaded. The weight distribution hitch used will determine if you can distribute the trailer hitch weight and truck's bed load so none of the trailer or truck's axes are overloaded, and whether there is sufficient weight on the truck's steering axle to maintain good control and braking.

Nonetheless, those with experience with a similar truck and trailer loaded and hitched properly will most probably advise you all will be well if the combination is loaded and set up well.

Then it will be up to you to learn what the truck can do and how to drive it within the parameters you have learned.

Have fun touring the country, we do and there is no better way to enjoy your Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Towing a 16' Sport w/ Frontier Pro 4X

It's been quite a few years, but used to tow a 16' Bambi with my '07 Frontier Nismo. It was a great match, never even used a wd hitch at the time, and the truck had more than adequate power to tow it all over the mountain west. Definitely get a trailer brake controller, and you'll be fine.
In my case, the Frontier had heavy duty OME suspension, a heavy ARB winch bumper with a 9000# winch, along with lots of body protection and skid plates, so was carrying a lot more weight than you're likely to have. You should have no reservations.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
kd7trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Louisburg , North Carolina
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Perhaps the most important info isn't here, and you won't know until you hitch it and load it.

The truck's axle ratings (GAWR) will show the total weight the truck can carry safely, the truck's combined weight rating (GCWR) will show what the loaded truck with the trailer can pull and stop. The load you intend to put in the truck, where you carry it, and the trailer's hitch weight after weight distribution is applied will determine if the truck's axles are overloaded. The weight distribution hitch used will determine if you can distribute the trailer hitch weight and truck's bed load so none of the trailer or truck's axes are overloaded, and whether there is sufficient weight on the truck's steering axle to maintain good control and braking.

Nonetheless, those with experience with a similar truck and trailer loaded and hitched properly will most probably advise you all will be well if the combination is loaded and set up well.

Then it will be up to you to learn what the truck can do and how to drive it within the parameters you have learned.

Have fun touring the country, we do and there is no better way to enjoy your Airstream.
Wow, that's a lot to think about. Thanks so much for the advice!!
joeltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
This is some pretty easy math. Unsure why someone would overcomplicate it.

Frontier tow capacity = 6100
16 Sport GVWR = 3500

That alone tells you the truck is well able to the task. Full stop.

But there are other numbers worth considering.

Frontier payload = 1078
16 Sport tongue weight = 350

You have >700 lbs available for people and cargo in the truck. Not bad. Load the truck accordingly. You don’t say how many is in your party, but I’m guessing you don’t have a huge crew if you bought a 16. The carrying capacity of the trailer is only 640 lbs. That’s kinda sparse. Pack mindfully. Your tongue weight is 10% of your trailer’s GVWR. You might want to pack the trailer so that’s closer to 12-15% for better stability on the road. Don’t overthink it, but be aware that your tongue is a little light.

After you’re all hooked up, the truck fully loaded and gassed up, and the trailer fully stocked, find the nearest truckstop with CAT scales. Confirm your FGAWR, RGAWR, truck GVWR, and trailer GVWR are all within spec. Likely you may want to shift your load a bit.

Loaded to the gills, your combined gross weight is in the neighborhood of 10,000 lbs. The Nissan 4L engine with 281 ft lb torque should handle it competently. You won’t win many races to the summit of the Rockies. But you’ll get there reasonably comfortably.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Hi, I had this same combo, the truck chassis etc was more than up to the task. Though I did use a reese WD hitch with a sway control bar. I think it helps alot with these lighter trucks and was glad of it many times. What I would complain about is the power. It tows it just ok, hit hills or want to do 70 on the interstate all day and it's not quite up to the task. Stay out of the mountains and drive two lanes and it's all good. Also this truck doesn't have great mileage empty, mine never hit 20 but towing this combo and you are talking 9-11 mpg.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #9
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
A truck can be a real advantage over a SUV with the Bambi, because your Bambi storage space is so limited-- if you get a cap (canopy) or tonneau cover for your truck. We typically carry all kinds of camping and canoeing gear in the back of our truck. With the flat-roof canopy-type of cap, we also mount a rack for the canoe.

One thing you might consider, if you've not done so already, is getting your dealer to add on the stone guards and rear storage bumper that are standard with the non-Sport models. These came with the old 16' International. One gives you some protection if you're on dirt/gravel roads, from highway grease, &c. The other adds storage space and is helpful if you want to mount a bicycle rack.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind View Post
Hi, I had this same combo, the truck chassis etc was more than up to the task. Though I did use a reese WD hitch with a sway control bar. I think it helps alot with these lighter trucks and was glad of it many times. What I would complain about is the power. It tows it just ok, hit hills or want to do 70 on the interstate all day and it's not quite up to the task. Stay out of the mountains and drive two lanes and it's all good. Also this truck doesn't have great mileage empty, mine never hit 20 but towing this combo and you are talking 9-11 mpg.
I will second your thoughts here....
I had a 19' Flying Cloud (I know, quite a bit heavier than a 16' Sport) that I towed behind a Toyota FJ Cruiser that was fitted with an OME lift kit. The towing capacity was within limits, but the FJ's short wheelbase and high center of gravity meant I had to carefully set up the WD hitch, and it took 5 attempts at dealers before I was comfortable with it. In addition, my mileage dropped to as low as 9 mpg and on a long cross-country trip, I was refueling up to 5 times per day, with the warning light frequently coming on!
If I was to do it all over again, I would consider a different tow vehicle.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
As you haven't bought the truck yet, you may want to consider a couple of others. The Chev Colorado with the diesel will give you a stronger, smoother engine for towing your Airstream and much better fuel economy. The 2017 Honda Ridgeline with its full independent suspension and unibody/frame construction will give you the most stable vehicle you can get in a pickup. Be patient, I think the Honda will soon have more transmission gears for better fuel economy and smoother towing.

Of course these will cost a little more, certainly worth the difference on overall satisfaction I believe, if it's within your means.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
getting your dealer to add on the stone guards and rear storage bumper ... adds storage space and is helpful if you want to mount a bicycle rack.
Wouldn't adding weight to the bumper reduce the hitch weight further? Won't that make the trailer unstable? I would be very cautious adding weight to the back. A tail-heavy trailer is prone to sway.

The best way to add storage for the 16 is to get a larger truck with greater payload.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #13
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
The rear bumper and stone guards were standard on the 2005 16' International. We towed it with a Tacoma and never had any issues with the weight or the hitch. When we had to replace it after an accident in 2014, we really thought about getting another 16' Bambi, but weren't so happy that the newer Sport didn't come with these features as standard. The dealer said they could add them on in the shop, no problem. We instead went for the 19' Flying Cloud, where they're standard, but replaced the Tacoma with a Tundra.

I don't know what that rear bumper weighs, but I don't think it's a lot.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote