Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Just completing the research and purchase job myself I can tell you what I discovered about the F150. First, the dealers do not know exactly how the options impact payload. I DO know that the one I purchased is 300# less than spec sheet so my options weigh that much. BTW, after spending an HOUR with the salesman looking through 135 trucks to find the missing truck and looking at payloads etc, I have seen payload figures up to around 2300# in an XLT model. The offroad package adds a bit of weight and takes from the payload around 200-300# though an exact amount is difficult they had various options additionally- I refer to my observation during the lot hunt and payload stickers.

You have a distinct advantage that I did not have- less tongue weight @535#. You could go either way 2.7L with HD payload, max tow or 3.5L with tow package and be completely within specs either way. The 2.7 is very similar in power to my previous V8 4.63V in power but with torque at a lower RPM. I know the engine size seems to defy logic but test drive a couple and you will realize the power. The boost is low to moderate and in my 3.5 the gauge indicates minimal boost on normal acceleration. I am sure towing will be a bit different but even with only 500 miles so far. I am on spec in city/hwy mileage even in break-in. The 2.7 is worth about 1 mpg city and 2mpg on hwy and with HD payload will be around 1500# at my estimate. The trim package impacts payload for sure. The XLT is the payload king configuration for sure.

Whatever you do, don't wait to get tow mirrors afterwards if you want them. They are $165 option for power mirrors but around $1000 after purchase. I did not get tow mirrors and will use Aero mirrors but they would be nice.

My thoughts on the options: We found two Lariats for me. Both loaded up well but one had Adaptive Cruise, FX4 off road package 4x4 and I believe the 6900# whatever. The payload was 220# less than the other. I have now read the manual including features I do not have and have this to say about the self-driving features. They are nice but the manual warns of computer delay, that sudden frontal stops may not trigger the system quickly enough so drivers have to be vigilant. WHAT IS GOOD about the system is the braking ability it adds to the collision warning system. The self parking is a mute point for me but the 360 camera is fantastic. It is like having a drone over top of the truck- love it. I will park myself.

The spotlights were a surprise feature for me never mentioned by the salesman. I was playing with the truck at night and discovered them. They shoot out a wide beam on three sides of the truck- sides and rear, about 10 feet or so. These are NOT those door lights but something better. Great for dark camping setups which I have done three times so far, once in pouring rain trying to hold a flashlight.

If this helps, my configuration from the window sticker is GVWR 6800# (some were 6200!) with a 3.5L Ecoboost, Max Tow (which means 3.55 EL axle with 3.5L) Lariat with all features minus Adaptive Cruise, Dynamic Park or 4x4 stuff including off road pkg. I figure that in most of my intended usage, according to the F150 forum, the locking axle will be good enough. Heck a guy in Alaska shared his 15-year experience on 4x4 vs 4x2 locking and sold me.

Much of the choice depends on what you want. The XLT is nice. The one that had 2300# payload did not have a moonroof, leather or many features- very similar to my previous truck, a good basic truck with the muscle options. The tow mirror option is rare on the lot and almost will require ordering IMO. If you order you can probably get a 2016 and then have the pro trailer backing as an option too!
Old 08-08-2015, 07:40 AM   #22
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
With Ford the higher the trim level the payload is reduced. Example, the Lariat will have more payload the the Platinum. I have a 2015 Platinum with only 1300lbs. of payload which is not enough for my 30' Cloud. With the 23' trailer you should be fine with just about any trim level of truck. Try and think into the future because if you go with a longer trailer then you might also have to upgrade the truck. My solution is simply to go with the Ford F250 diesel which will handle just about any trailer out there.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
My solution is simply to go with the Ford F250 diesel which will handle just about any trailer out there.
That would work. I have to have a daily driver too. It is my only vehicle. The 2300# payload XLT for example would pull any Airstream easily. You are correct on the trims and payload. The sales guy learned that when he steered me to a Platinum first thing. I was "sticker-aware" so I knew that whatever I got, I wanted it to be MORE than my current truck of 1548# so looking them over I realized with every unlocked door opportunity, to get a feel for the actual payloads on the lot. One key factor is on the sticker. It says 6200-7000# or so (don't know the limit) for GVWR. Interestingly you can also visually see when they are parked side by side that the taller ones have more payload. Not counting swamp buggies!
Old 08-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Anybody have comments good or bad on the SYNC mytouch infomedia system? Wondering how it will compare to the next gen sync3 coming out.
I really like the my touch. I am tech oriented and it is WAY better than the '09 sync basic I had. It is intuitive and the menus make sense to me. I have not figured out why there were so many complaints about it though I know that some are menu challenged. I think of it as learning to follow a path.

The ecoboost and mileage towing: I do not expect to get much different than previously. I averaged 12mpg calculating at the pump with my previous truck. I do expect to have loads more power at tow for the same mileage. I have garnered this from the F150 Forum. That said, when I am not towing, I will benefit from better mileage and I am already seeing that- from 13.x in town to 17 avg with 500 miles on it.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Norwalk , Connecticut
Rodsterinfl - What is the final payload number on your truck. Your lariat spec is essentially what I'm looking at. I have seen some listings referencing 7000# GVWR. I assume that's the vague sticker your referencing above. Unfortunately our local Ford dealer doesn't have a pile of trucks to comb through. I need to go down and do a first hand look at what they do have. So far it's been snooping around the web piecing info together.

Ford chat said '16's can be ordered now and should start showing around Oct. If I have to order I guess i'll be in a '16. That might be good or bad....
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
My payload is 1720# and the tow rating is 11,900#. Mine is 6800# on the sticker which was the most common number I saw. The dealer I was at is big with a lot of trucks now. They sell close to 50 a week. You need to snoop in person. It is a whole new ballgame since the payload stickers tell the REAL story. I have a prediction Widget based on what I found with Chevy and Dodge and their 8-speed tranny. When Ford does start using their 10-speed transmission, we will see less torque on tap at highway speed and more shifting to get more torque as is the case for them now. I believe that the 2015-2016 F150s will be nearly identical in most ways but that it will all change in 2017. They can get that 2.7 to 30mpg and that is their goal. I am not sure such a thing will happen with the 3.5. In my case, I needed to tow 7000# with a tongue of 1000#, a scooter in the bed and generator plus me. I have 400# of equipment that I load and me which I round to 200# that leaves 120# extra. Not too much extra but for the few times someone else comes along. Besides, I do not always take the scoot (320#) so that payload works for me. The 3.5 is a beast. Wait until you drive one. What a difference from the previous F150. More like a car. The dual moonroof I heard weighs 80#. I had no choice as every Lariat had it on their lot except a red one and, I don't do red.

If you want that hefty payload above 2000 go to the XLT. They have SUPER deals on that model right now specifically. It has cloth seats but can be loaded nicely. Every one I looked at had black or gray interior. I was told on towing customer got one and put leather seats in it and did that for the higher payload- I was told. It all depends on what you want. They are advertising 10K off on XLT. I got 7K off of the Lariat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0867.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	244939  
Old 08-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Why do you think less torque with more gears?
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Why do you think less torque with more gears?
The 3.5 Ecoboost's max torque is at 2500RPM (420 ft lbs). Seventy-two percent of that torque is available for use at 70 mph-302 ft lbs (with the 20" wheels- a little more with smaller rims). As they gear the truck up to gain mpg they usually impact RPM. As they lower the RPM they lower the torque on tap. The transmission is forced, especially when towing, to gear down to get RPM and torque. In the case of a 10-speed, perhaps two-three shifts. When that happens you lose mpg and have a different tow experience. It will be interesting.

With 72% torque available at highway speed, there should be little downshifting while towing. My other truck with 44% of torque shifted quite a bit but had less than half the torque to work with (141 ft lbs). To be more exact, the torque will be the same BUT the gearbox will have to work to get it and provide less torque at a given speed.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ63 View Post
We have a 2014 fully loaded w/ tow package, F-150 Lariat. 3.5L Ecoboost towing a 2015 25' FB Flying Cloud. The truck pulls well, quiet, shifts nicely in the tow/haul mode, and I added after market mirror extenders and a rear-view wireless camera for additional assistance in passing, parking and backing in. What I am disappointed in is the mileage experienced thus far. Approaching 50% or more of the total allowable tow weight, we're averaging 10MPG at 60MPH on most level Interstate travel (I10 E-W) so far. When not towing, We travel at 65MPH and average 22-23 MPG. I am considering an upgrade to the F250 diesel. That seems to be a drastic reduction in MPG when towing. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? Others?

Russ63
Gas engines really loose MPG while towing. They have to have high RPM in their power-band to overcome the drag, dramatically increasing the fuel use. That's why any vehicle that see's any decent amount of towing around the world is diesel.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Gas engines really loose MPG while towing. They have to have high RPM in their power-band to overcome the drag, dramatically increasing the fuel use. That's why any vehicle that see's any decent amount of towing around the world is diesel.
Conventional wisdom agrees with you; however, that is the whole concept behind the Ecoboost. Its peak torque is low like a diesel and fairly flat so that high RPM is not needed. That said, companies are not done maxing out for maximum MPG so they are turning to gearing. Currently the 2.7L Ecoboost is easily a challenge to the Ram ecodiesel. There is around a 2mpg difference, the 2.7 runs on regular and does not require DEF. There is 35 ft lbs difference in torque. The ecoboost can tow more and has a greater payload capability. I have owned diesels and like them but I also see advantages to gas engines. I no longer see diesel as a money saver. Previously I viewed them as a fuel saver and long-lived design. The former advantage disappears when the fuel is around 35-40 cents more per gallon and the latter may not hold on the modern diesel- at least on components like the fuel systems. The main thing is that we have options. I am not sure how the future F150 gearing will help towing as we would want a solid pull at speed with as little shifting as possible.

Quote:
Lariats seem to be about the same 1600 to 1700. I was hoping for 2000lb payload for an XLT Supercrew XLT 156" wb but didn't materialize.
@ KJRitchie--No the 2015s are different in payload. My first visit in March to the dealer was all about the salesman trying to sell me a 2014. He had three Lariats in white to show me. All of them had payloads around 1200. Beautifully loaded but not able to do what I needed. It was a no brainer for me = no can do. That said, I know there are '14s out there that can do it but the '15 models have even higher payload ratings. You need to look again for your 2000# payload XLT. They DO exist. I saw a 145" with 2300# payload.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Just saw a TV ad for the 2015 F150 stating 12,200# towing capacity and 3,300# payload.
Apparently none of you have found that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Just saw a TV ad for the 2015 F150 stating 12,200# towing capacity and 3,300# payload. Apparently none of you have found that one.
That is the maximum configuration for the model line. Each trim change, model and options eat away at those figures. Also, that would include HD payload pkg and max tow pkg. I learned by playing the payload sticker game in the lot. That specific configuration you mention is a regular cab 4x2 with 3.5L Ecoboost and 3.55 rear axle in most likely an XL or XLT.

The crew cab 3.5 eco short bed goes to 2070# payload, 11,900# tow. The four door is most popular.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Norwalk , Connecticut
Weekend curveball.... I was set on the 145" WB with a 5'5" box, but the other half suggested "if we're getting a truck we should get the bigger bed" I've driven the 157" but not a 145". Also thought she'd be more comfortable in the shorter truck.

Pro's for the short box were that it fit in the garage (barely). Shorter for parking lots & day to day use. Smaller for any light off-road use.

I guess the longer box gives room to sleep in it on trips w/o the trailer (I'm 6'1" and the ability to better carry bikes and skis.

My plan was to do a tonneau with fork bike mount and a rack system for a ski box/ paddleboards to start. Maybe a cap down the road in a year or two when we have dog and kids.

What do ya'll think?
Old 08-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
Surprisingly the F150 has no stock rear swaybar. The hellwig will be one of the first additions. Maybe even front and rear. I'm a tinkerer by heart so there's a long list of add-on's and mods that will get done eventually.

Need to upsize front antiroll bar with the addition of one in the rear where none existed. Energy Suspension greaseable polyurethane bushings are an easy addition at the same time.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
Weekend curveball.... I was set on the 145" WB with a 5'5" box, but the other half suggested "if we're getting a truck we should get the bigger bed" I've driven the 157" but not a 145". Also thought she'd be more comfortable in the shorter truck.

Pro's for the short box were that it fit in the garage (barely). Shorter for parking lots & day to day use. Smaller for any light off-road use.

I guess the longer box gives room to sleep in it on trips w/o the trailer (I'm 6'1" and the ability to better carry bikes and skis.

My plan was to do a tonneau with fork bike mount and a rack system for a ski box/ paddleboards to start. Maybe a cap down the road in a year or two when we have dog and kids.

What do ya'll think?
i think the long truck will be longer than most marked spaces. take a look at the length of the spaces you now use as a daily driver.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
My 2015 F350 has a 172' wheel base and Is my daily driver.This is my second one.You learn how to drive it and it becomes second nature to park and maneuver.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
when i get home i have to wait for two cars in a row to leave :-) (and i have the shorter truck) city life <sigh>
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Has anybody mentioned getting LT tires spec'd? I put them on in and noticed a difference. Much less back end movement, feels better planted.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Norwalk , Connecticut
Yes, I will move to a LT tire as soon as I can. Possibly even immediately and swapping back to the original AT treads for winter just to use them up.

Winter/off towing season - stock P-rated tires
Summer/ towing season -LT rated Michelin M/S
Old 08-14-2015, 07:48 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Mine came with Michelin LTX MS/2 tires on it.

Quote:
When we spent FOREVER going through the trucks on the lot I saw two 6.5 foot bed F150s. When you step back and look, that bed length balances out the cab/bed better and looks nicer from the side BUT they are hard to find.

Also, just an FYI on the model trims and details for shopping. The XLT and Lariat offer the most configurations and most payload rating- up to 2900 lbs.
I found my achilles heel is my wheel/tire package. While the 20" wheels look great they limit the tire and load rating. The 18" wheel set is the beefy one and the one on the max payload pkg. With the 20 inchers you get around 1800# payload.

The difference in Lariat 502A to King Ranch and Platinum? Basically three standard items - 1) grade of leather and wood trim; 2) badging and grill 3) either two tone paint (King Ranch) or Power Running Boards (Platinum). Power boards are an option on Lariat or King Ranch. The cost differences are $4-5K for either of the King or Platinum.

BTW Ford FINALLY updated their selection tool on their website. It will easily configure what you need under the "build your own" link. What is perplexing is the tool shows none with 2300# payload and I saw two with that rating on the lot.