Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2021, 06:44 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
This has been an interesting read. I pull a AS 25 FCFBT with an F150 3.5 EB Max Tow Package. Very happy with everything about this truck. It gets 13-14 mpg towing 21-22 non towing on highway. Does fine crossing 11,000 passes in Colorado. My only complaint is payload. When I get a new truck I’m thinking of an F350 just for payload. I can’t believe that any gasser in an F350 would be completely powerful enough to pull a 25’ AS very well. It sounds a little disappointing that the mileage is so low when towing such a small trailer. I think I’d go with a lower rear end to get best mileage possible. I would not go with diesel for cost and reduction in payload. I’d appreciate any thoughts.
robearl733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:30 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Well, thanks once again for re-introducing a very popular topic! Here is what I can tell you from my experience while towing my 2017 28' FC with my F250 KR 4x4 6.7l now with 115K miles, AS has 50K miles. The confident feeling you have when you are towing in the Rockies at highway speed, with the diesel, engine brake engaged, cruise control on, distance collision alert on, is pretty sweet. Do not under estimate the diesel engine brake contribution to towing; it is a huge factor, IMHO. As for Godzilla vs 6.7L, my Ford service manager has a 28' SOB and the Godzilla. Tells me wishes he had gotten the diesel for reasons mentioned, including poor gas mileage all around. They are both fine trucks for towing, but I believe the diesel offers more value both in performance and ROI. They both have issues driving solo, when parking, and getting into some garages. They both require maintenance, diesel likely costs a bit more to operate with oil changes, fuel filter, DEF. Difference to me is when towing which is why I got this size truck in the first place.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Well, thanks once again for re-introducing a very popular topic! Here is what I can tell you from my experience while towing my 2017 28' FC with my F250 KR 4x4 6.7l now with 115K miles, AS has 50K miles. The confident feeling you have when you are towing in the Rockies at highway speed, with the diesel, engine brake engaged, cruise control on, distance collision alert on, is pretty sweet. Do not under estimate the diesel engine brake contribution to towing; it is a huge factor, IMHO. As for Godzilla vs 6.7L, my Ford service manager has a 28' SOB and the Godzilla. Tells me wishes he had gotten the diesel for reasons mentioned, including poor gas mileage all around. They are both fine trucks for towing, but I believe the diesel offers more value both in performance and ROI. They both have issues driving solo, when parking, and getting into some garages. They both require maintenance, diesel likely costs a bit more to operate with oil changes, fuel filter, DEF. Difference to me is when towing which is why I got this size truck in the first place.
I have a similar set up (27' FC, 2019 F250 Platinum diesel). I likely would have bought the 7.3 but it wasn't out yet when I needed the truck and pretty much every truck that was equipped how we wanted (including non-black interior) within 100 miles was diesel. Driving the diesel, though, is such an amazing experience. Is it overkill? Yep. Is it wonderful? Yep. I love not having to worry about how I pack or what I take; it will fit and it will accommodate anything I care to bring at this point. I have to admit that I am a torque hound.

I am positive the 6.2 or 7.3 gas engine would be perfectly adequate. A six-cylinder Mustang is also adequate. But you KNOW you want the big dog if you can afford it :-)
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Burnsville , Minnesota
Go with the diesel

We have a diesel Excursion and love it, we can get about 20 mpg at 70+ mph.
If you haven’t heard of the TSD Logistics RV card, you can pay the same price as truckers pay at some stations. At Petro, listed price was $3.09 we paid $2.64.
Diesels will have a much higher resale value.
winfahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:21 PM   #45
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
I’ve had gas, and I’ve had diesel. I like gas better.

My truck does everything I ask of it without DEF and the diesel emission sensor failures I experienced.

When a diesel is working, it’s great! When it’s broke, you will be too.

I’m tempted to trade up to the 7.3, but the 6.2 is doing the job.
Isn't it wonderful to have choices!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:24 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
popka , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmassey321 View Post
I have a 2020 F250 7.3L with a 3.55 rear. We initially pulled our 25’ International Signature all around the country and now our recently new 33’ Classic. Our mileage can vary depending on cargo, load, wind, etc. but is similar to what others have reported here.

I agree, that diesel - especially now with the 33’, would be superior in terms of being able to use the truck lanes to fill up. It’s not too often we can just pull in to a normal gas station with the F250 and 33’ combo. We do wish it had a larger gas tank for sure but also glad not to have to mess with DEF.

However, we have all the power we could need...even in the mountains and don’t really notice engine noise that much contrary to what was mentioned earlier in the thread. We have almost 20K miles now and no signs of death wobble ... but that can be fixed pretty easily. We did add Firestone air bags to help with squat but that was more of a preference than a requirement. Love the 10 speed tranny. Also would be tempted to trade for new given that I can trade in for more than I paid for it. Only drawback to that would be having no tow vehicle until the October timeframe ... believe new orders are projected to take at least that long.

One of the things I don’t love is the camera lock out feature when moving and in general the clunkiness of using the cameras. You can buy a fix to that ($350-$500) but we should not have to do that.

Overall, love the truck.

What is your gas mileage? Thanks
Chrishall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
FRISCO , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishall View Post
What is your gas mileage? Thanks

Only time I have accurately tracked it was between Dallas and Kalispell, MT this past summer. That trip was with the 25ft and was 8.1 over that one way direction. I did not track it coming back.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:27 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
Just saying gas mileage should be a consideration. My 2017 Chevy Silverado 5.3, and before that my 2009 or 1996, all did a fine job towing Moby my 1976 Argosy 26. All provide proper power and fuel efficiency. I have never pulled thru the Rockies, but have towed through some good inclines going west, north and south, eg Mont Eagle, and never a question could keep going without effort. Loaded get 12+mpg average, at times near 15 mpg thru Texas. But I do drive conservatively, 65 mph, and try to watch efficiency. Safe travels.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:02 AM   #49
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Gas miles:

Gas mileage with the 6.2 / pulling a 30' Classic ( so on the heavy side ) will *maybe* get up to 11 MPG on the flat. I can do better than that going down hill with a strong tail wind (and yes there are places you can run a full tank of gas that way ...). I'm not really sure doing MPG that way is legit.

Running in the mountains / at altitude / up / down / round about .... something below 9 MPG. I think the worst full tank number was 8.2.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:45 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Update to non-towing mpg

Earlier in this thread I had shared a “best” non towing mpg of 14.7 and I am quite pleased to share a much improved number. Over more than a 100 mile interval, I got a tiny fraction over 16mpg, this is hand calculated non-towing, and just a reminder that my truck is an F-250, payload ~2900lbs, 7.3l Godzilla gas/10sp, and 4.30 rear end. The engine computer was closer than I thought, it reported 16.2mpg. I am just at 7k miles on the truck, maybe additional break in miles is part of my improvement but I am also getting smarter and more dialed in with optimal driving of this thing. I have to stay at or below 67mph to get mpg this good, I was using the ECO mode on the trans, and I’m pretty sure I had a very low wind day when I achieved this. It was also all highway miles (with cruise control on) in the flatland of Illinois, but I was very happy to be above 15mpg at highway cruising speed with this big gas V8.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
Earlier in this thread I had shared a “best” non towing mpg of 14.7 and I am quite pleased to share a much improved number. Over more than a 100 mile interval, I got a tiny fraction over 16mpg, this is hand calculated non-towing, and just a reminder that my truck is an F-250, payload ~2900lbs, 7.3l Godzilla gas/10sp, and 4.30 rear end. The engine computer was closer than I thought, it reported 16.2mpg. I am just at 7k miles on the truck, maybe additional break in miles is part of my improvement but I am also getting smarter and more dialed in with optimal driving of this thing. I have to stay at or below 67mph to get mpg this good, I was using the ECO mode on the trans, and I’m pretty sure I had a very low wind day when I achieved this. It was also all highway miles (with cruise control on) in the flatland of Illinois, but I was very happy to be above 15mpg at highway cruising speed with this big gas V8.

Thanks for sharing your gas mileage. I mentioned earlier in this thread I went the 6.7 route with 2600lb payload. I only just hit 2,000 miles but I’m seeing steady 20 mpg not towing. And 15+ towing a 27’ GT FB.
RobdaSlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Thanks for your data Rob, that seems to validate my earlier mention of the diesel being (approx) 5mpg better than gas. I suspect your mpg is also more consistent, my “best” is dependent on several things, including head wind which we have no control over (other than to slow down). I won’t see that 16mpg very often, I’m sure of that but I was quite happy to learn it *was* possible to attain. For head to head (same conditions) diesel wins the mpg column every time.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:06 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I also have the 7.3 Godzilla and the 3.55 transmission. I have 16,000 on it . 11,000 miles towing a 25ft fb safari. I was get about 10.5 towing. I raised the ball one hole and it seams to have improved the mpg to 11.5 towing. Around town I get 15 mpg. It doesn’t even feel like I’m pulling a trailer. It’s a great truck for me. I purchased the truck before the shut down of covid. I feel lucky I got exactly what I wanted when I did.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:44 AM   #54
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Diesel has roughly 20% more energy per gallon than gasoline. If your gas engine gets 10 MPG, the diesel will get 12 MPG (all else being equal). With modern billion speed transmissions, the rest levels out pretty fast.

Indeed, I *can* come up with a route that will give me 16 MPG towing my Classic (with the 6.2 engine). I could spend a lot of time talking about the great mileage that you can get with gas. If I spent a bit more time planning, I might be able to get that up to 18 MPG. Yes, the other folks on the interstate might be a bit bothered by my going 40 MPH, but we're going for the record here

Bob
Old 04-28-2021, 12:23 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Diesel has roughly 20% more energy per gallon than gasoline. If your gas engine gets 10 MPG, the diesel will get 12 MPG (all else being equal). With modern billion speed transmissions, the rest levels out pretty fast.

Indeed, I *can* come up with a route that will give me 16 MPG towing my Classic (with the 6.2 engine). I could spend a lot of time talking about the great mileage that you can get with gas. If I spent a bit more time planning, I might be able to get that up to 18 MPG. Yes, the other folks on the interstate might be a bit bothered by my going 40 MPH, but we're going for the record here

Bob
The news is suggesting gas shortage by midsummer. If true and prices are high enough you will find plenty of company with 40mph on the interstate.
RobdaSlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:31 PM   #56

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobdaSlob View Post
The news is suggesting gas shortage by midsummer. If true and prices are high enough you will find plenty of company with 40mph on the interstate.
If you read the articles and not just the headlines, the news is suggesting DELIVERY issues for gasoline in the summer due to demand for truck drivers, not a shortage of gasoline.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:41 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If you read the articles and not just the headlines, the news is suggesting DELIVERY issues for gasoline in the summer due to demand for truck drivers, not a shortage of gasoline.
To the consumer it is the same thing. Whether it is a refinery problem, war in the middle east, or an inability to deliver gas from the refineries to the stations, it all looks the same for consumers. Or am I missing something? I guess one aspect that may distinguish between those is that some fuel supply chain issues impact diesel differently than gasoline whereas this may be similar (though if your local station doesn't do much diesel business it might remain more available, and vice versa).
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:00 AM   #58
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobdaSlob View Post
Hi

I think I'd bet a case of beer (delivered ) that the result will be that nobody slows down. Long lines at the pump, yup, I'd bet there will be. Panic hits and everybody is out to fill their 5 gallon cans.

One gotcha with a diesel TV: You now have one set of cans in the garage for the truck and another set for the car. If you store a couple month's fuel for each, that could be a lot of cans.

Bets on them running out of 5 gallon gas cans? They did last time a shortage hit. (The "months of fuel in the garage *is* what some folks I know did back then). Can you say "fire hazard?" ... yikes .....

Bob
Old 04-29-2021, 09:28 AM   #59

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
To the consumer it is the same thing. Whether it is a refinery problem, war in the middle east, or an inability to deliver gas from the refineries to the stations, it all looks the same for consumers. Or am I missing something? I guess one aspect that may distinguish between those is that some fuel supply chain issues impact diesel differently than gasoline whereas this may be similar (though if your local station doesn't do much diesel business it might remain more available, and vice versa).
The pricing effects, regional issues and time individual stations go without available fuel will be VERY different in a situation where fuel is available and most or all refineries and terminals and some deliveries to retailers are delayed by short staff in the tanker fleet vs. an actual fuel shortage.

The diesel-vs-gasoline issues that sometimes happen are about refinery production, nothing I've seen in the news suggests there'll be a problem with that at this point.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:27 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
I agree with UncleBob that I don't think any type of shortage will slow many folks down. People will just get more creative or focused on how and when they get their fuel. As for me, my recent upgrade to a S&B 60-gallon tank on my F250 was done to minimize fuel stops and long lines. At 14 mpg towing, I have an approximate range of over 800 miles. The gauge typically states a tad over 1000 miles to empty (prior to towing) when I fill it to the brim...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3179.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	394419