Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #41
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Nissan killed their small-ish diesel.
Ford recently killed their small diesel.

I would be leery of the small form factor diesels given the above. I don't keep up with that market segment, but it doesn't look good.
It isn’t a question of whether smaller diesels will be discontinued, just a question of when.

Stellantis owns RAM and VM Motori who makes the Ecodiesel. Stellantis is under investigation in Europe for multiple counts of consumer fraud relating to diesel emissions. At some point they will decide it is all just too much trouble and cut their losses, IMO.

GM has announced the end of selling all gasoline engines in light vehicles by 2035. Light diesels would logically stop production sooner than that.

The smaller diesels were largely developed for other markets, and modified to meet US standards. As Europe shuts down light diesels, manufacturers will lose the volume that sustains their production.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:59 PM   #42
Lookin' to Boondock

1975 27' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Send a message via MSN to 03enduro
3.0 om642

I have a v6 Mercedes diesel in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and it’ll pull my 27’ Overlander anywhere I ask it to. What I like is that as a daily driver, I’m not forking out enough fuel to run 3 cars when I’m not towing.
03enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:13 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnGayl View Post
We are looking at replacing our SUV tow vehicle and we are intrigued by the new 3.0L diesel GM brought out recently. 3 liters seems really small compared to the gas engines we are used to - 7.2 Liter in my 2500 Yukon and 6.2 in my current Escalade. But the dealer suggested we look at the 3.0 diesel and comparing performance, it's not bad. HP is lower of course, 277 vs. 420 for the 6.2L gas. But torque is exactly the same, and at much lower rpm. The other attraction is the new Escalade takes premium gas, and that has become very pricey, comparable to diesel and sometimes higher. Certainly 3.0L is not comparable to the 6 liter Duramax diesel, but that's not available in a SUV and we really don't want to move to a pickup. So my question pertains to the 3.0 liter Duramax only, nothing else. I would love to hear from anyone with real life experience with this engine. Thank you.
I have The Ford F-150 with the power stroke diesel and it’s tows my 25rb International just fine the only thing I wish it had was the exhaust brake like the GM has.
2019streammm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:29 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Lake Elsinore , California
When Jeep-Chrysler -Fiat-Stellantus was doing advance production testing on the upcoming $100K Grand Wagoneer, they built two so-called test mules with beefed up frame, axles and suspension and dropped in the 6.7 Cummins diesel from the Ram pickup. It appears they are holding off on offering this powertrain at least initially and plan on using 5.7 and 6.4L gas V8’s to get the GW going again. The fact that the test mules exist shows that Jeep is at least considering a full-size luxury SUV with real diesel towing abilities.
safaridave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:53 PM   #45
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by safaridave View Post
When Jeep-Chrysler -Fiat-Stellantus was doing advance production testing on the upcoming $100K Grand Wagoneer, they built two so-called test mules with beefed up frame, axles and suspension and dropped in the 6.7 Cummins diesel from the Ram pickup. It appears they are holding off on offering this powertrain at least initially and plan on using 5.7 and 6.4L gas V8’s to get the GW going again. The fact that the test mules exist shows that Jeep is at least considering a full-size luxury SUV with real diesel towing abilities.
They built the new Grand Waggoner on the 1500 chassis, not the 2500/3500. It doesn’t offer a diesel (neither does the Grand Cherokee) but if it did it would be the Ecodiesel.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
For OP
The 4 people who actually tow AS with their Duramax 3.0 diesel said;

No problem pulling, averaged 16 mpg on 10 day trip.

Great tow vehicle.

Great engine & economy towed 27’ 4000 miles since February no issues.

It’s smooth economical and fun. No issues. Would make the same decision today.

I tow new dry AS from plant to dealerships & back and utilize a WDH & CAT scales. Seldom do I have to tow 30/33 Classics. I tow with the 3.0 Ram Ecodiesel as it’s very efficient to 65. Recently turned 800k miles albeit not on the original engine. I suspect the little 3.0 Duramax in-line diesel would meet OPs towing needs well plus very efficiently and likely with good maintenance great durability.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote