Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
2016 Ram Fuel Mileage Towing For The Last 1,000 Miles

Yes, I know we are "under utilizing" the capacity of our new Ram 2500 Cummins diesel but after 2000 miles I am absolutely amazed at the fuel mileage we are getting both while towing and while driving un-hitched.
I did not choose this truck because I hoped or suspected that we would get good fuel mileage. I have another post detailing the process, MPG was never even considered!

What I began seeing immediately though (as indicated by the dash computer) were some pretty impressive numbers. So impressive, I had my doubts!
By "playing the game" of light throttle and no sudden starts I had an indicated 23 mpg on the first tank and that is in the first 400 miles on the truck! Those were not highway miles either but rather a mix of in town and secondary road driving, done mostly to get a few miles on the truck before hitching up.

Anyway I decided that we would give her a propper easy first 500 miles towing the Bambi before actually checking the mileage. Yesterday we left the Gatlinburg TN area for home in RI. I filled the tank just down the street from the campground, hitched up and headed out. We had about 30 minutes of stop and go traffic, another 30 minutes of slightly better but still conjested conditions and then we were on the highway.

Speeds were between 60 and 70 for much of the day and we filled three times in just over 1000 miles.

I did nothing but drive. Some traffic, generally hilly in the Gatlinburg area, some cruise control some "Bruce" control.

Here are the numbers!

First tank, 241.8 miles and 14.4 gallons used for 16.79 mpg.
Second tank , 376.9 miles and 23.4 gallons used for 16.1 mpg.
Final tank, 298.4 miles and 18.1 gallons used for 16.49 mpg...

These are all towing miles.

Pretty respectable numbers I'd say. All on winter blend fuel in a vehicle that just hit 2000 miles on the odometer, as we pulled into our driveway this morning.

In the first 2000 miles I used about a gallon of DEF too.

I'm impressed! We could get fuel mileage in the low to mid 14 mpg range with the Ford and its trusty 5.4 but not at these speeds or in the hills. Nor did ir have anything like the power we now. Never mind the awesome exhaust brake!!

I am very pleased!

Oh, just for the record... The oft referred to Lye-O-Meter is amazingly accurate. Twice it read .1 mpg more than the hand calculated result and once .1 less than the hand calculated result! Gotta love technology!

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	258938  
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
That is impressive MPG, especially for lunch a new vehicle. A friend of mine has a 2500 Cummins and just loves it.

Thanks for posting the picture. Just curious which campground it was taken at? Beautiful view!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I won't be able to get a good fuel mileage gauge until our trip to Montana in August. I expect any easy 300 mile range with 5 gallon reserve, hopefully more. I'll be towing a 2008 Classic 25fb. The last fill up was comprised of commuting to work 1 day a week of mixed driving, plus a Saturday drive of about 150 miles got me 18.4mpg hand calculated. Still only have 2100 miles since last August purchase.

Kelvin
Old 03-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
I have 8,400 miles on my 2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew Cab with the Cummins diesel. On our current trip towing our 27 FB FC, I'm consistently seeing 14.9 mpg on the trip meter at a steady 64 mph on fairly flat (FL/LA/TX) terrain.

Just dumped in second 2.5 gallon container of DEF since purchase.

I love my truck.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
That is impressive MPG, especially for lunch a new vehicle. A friend of mine has a 2500 Cummins and just loves it.

Thanks for posting the picture. Just curious which campground it was taken at? Beautiful view!
That campground is called Campfire Lodgings and it is just north of Asheville NC.
Just 17 sites and some trails to hike on. Beautiful views though!!!
Old 03-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The trip meter always seems to read a little high on mine until my last fill up. I don't reset it and it was within a few 10ths of hand calculated. Maybe not reseting it will cause the computer to be consistently more accurate.

14.9mpg would give me a range of 387miles with 5 gal reserve.

Kelvin
Old 03-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have a '14 Ram 2500 Laramie CC with the Cummins. I'm towing a '15 30' Classic (obviously a lot heavier than yours), and my overall MPG runs right at 14.5. That includes about 7000 miles, including the Rockies, Appalachians, Adirondacks, Berkshires, White Mountains.... Everything I had been told about the truck being an awesome TV has been true. The turbodiesel has performed flawlessly, and while you don't mention, the automatic braking function is (to me) almost more important than the hill climb superiority. I've been down some really long and steep grades with just infrequent need to use the brakes. The truck provides plenty of grunt and a terrific safety margin. Granted, it is a pricey option, but like somebody told me .... "you buy the Cummins, it just happens to be mounted in a Ram."
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I have a '14 Ram 2500 Laramie CC with the Cummins. I'm towing a '15 30' Classic (obviously a lot heavier than yours), and my overall MPG runs right at 14.5. That includes about 7000 miles, including the Rockies, Appalachians, Adirondacks, Berkshires, White Mountains.... Everything I had been told about the truck being an awesome TV has been true. The turbodiesel has performed flawlessly, and while you don't mention, the automatic braking function is (to me) almost more important than the hill climb superiority. I've been down some really long and steep grades with just infrequent need to use the brakes. The truck provides plenty of grunt and a terrific safety margin. Granted, it is a pricey option, but like somebody told me .... "you buy the Cummins, it just happens to be mounted in a Ram."
Yes, that exhaust brake...
It is amazing isn't it? I love the sounds and I love the function of that feature.
I have seen its mention by diesel truck owners but it is definitely under played!

Even driving it around town after getting home I'm amazed by this truck. The smaller turning diameter than the F-150 lets me park more easily (in spite of the Ram's 5" longer length) the fuel mileage is averaging in the high teens (4 to 5 mpg better than the F-150 it replaced) and its ride is far better than I expected.

I still haven't figured out the "down side"...

Bruce
Old 03-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses the exhaust brake...just for fun.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Bruce B:

In your last thread i(we) told you you would love pulling with it. I also had mentioned I have had one early model GMC diesel, and two Powerstrokes. Exactly one year ago I purchased a Ram 1500 5.7 and pulled my 2016 25FC all over WY, ID and MT. I absolutely fell in love with the Ram and the air suspension. It did fantastic for a half ton and a gasser. But, as I mentioned too, once you have oil in your blood it's hard to go back.

I ordered a Ram 2016 2500 4wd Cummins, rear air suspension and Ram Box (darn I love the Ram box). It was delivered this last Friday. I have put 500 miles on it already and the one thing that just blows me away is how comfortable, smooth it is on these impossible Michigan roads, empty. There are many roads I avoided with my previous 3/4s but this truck, no issues at all. Smooth as a baby's behind.

Glad you are enjoying and wait till you hit 5-6k miles. That's when your mileage really gets good. Wear in on the Cummins is 6,000 miles.

PS: yesterday I drove 200 miles on the highway avg. 73mph and got 20.5mpg. That was less than 300 engine miles on the truck. Just getting around here and there, stop and go, I'm getting about 18.3mpg.

You are correct with winter blend diesel. They add it here in Michigan in Nov.. In the past like clock work my power stroke 6.7 would go from 18mpg highway to 16. And back up in April.

PS: yes, I admit it too, all day I have been going up and down hills playing with this amazing exhaust brake. I won't know what to do in the mountains this year. Hmm, maybe relax a lot going down 8% grades:-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	259149  

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
Bruce B:

In your last thread i(we) told you you would love pulling with it. I also had mentioned I have had one early model GMC diesel, and two Powerstrokes. Exactly one year ago I purchased a Ram 1500 5.7 and pulled my 2016 25FC all over WY, ID and MT. I absolutely fell in love with the Ram and the air suspension. It did fantastic for a half ton and a gasser. But, as I mentioned too, once you have oil in your blood it's hard to go back.

I ordered a Ram 2016 2500 4wd Cummins, rear air suspension and Ram Box (darn I love the Ram box). It was delivered this last Friday. I have put 500 miles on it already and the one thing that just blows me away is how comfortable, smooth it is on these impossible Michigan roads, empty. There are many roads I avoided with my previous 3/4s but this truck, no issues at all. Smooth as a baby's behind.

Glad you are enjoying and wait till you hit 5-6k miles. That's when your mileage really gets good. Wear in on the Cummins is 6,000 miles.
Congrats on the new ride!
Yes the RamBox's are awesome aren't they? It was RamBox, coil spring/air rear suspension, turning radius and that engine that won me over..
Somehow, I found it difficult to pull the trigger but once I decided to go...I really haven't looked back.

I'm also amazed at how this truck rides. The roads here in coastal Rhode Island are pretty atrocious and it is exceeding my expectations. I'm happy!

Hope yours is an awesome truck for you.
Bruce
Old 03-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
The new diesels are quite impressive. We see similar mpg with our GMC 2500. I keep looking at my wife and marveling at the combo of lower fuel cost + >2x mpg of our DP. Just returned from our first "longish" trip. 6w out west. West Texas, Bisbee, Tucson, Sedona & Palm Springs. Love, love, love our truck. I'm sure I would've loved the Ram too ... and honestly would have really liked the better turning radius. But I'm comfortable parking pretty much anywhere now ... and almost always back in anyway. Congrats on the new truck!
caseywsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Well Bruce B, haul that Bambi out to Idaho this summer and I'll fix you a cool one and we can compare our new affection for the new trucks. Be safe my friend. Also bring your fishing rod.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
+2 on the Rambox. I can't imagine ordering a truck without it.

My left one has all my RV stuff, my right the hitching gear and tools. Love it love it love it.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywsj View Post
The new diesels are quite impressive. We see similar mpg with our GMC 2500. I keep looking at my wife and marveling at the combo of lower fuel cost + >2x mpg of our DP. Just returned from our first "longish" trip. 6w out west. West Texas, Bisbee, Tucson, Sedona & Palm Springs. Love, love, love our truck. I'm sure I would've loved the Ram too ... and honestly would have really liked the better turning radius. But I'm comfortable parking pretty much anywhere now ... and almost always back in anyway. Congrats on the new truck!
I was a little surprised at how long it has taken me to acclimate to both the mirrors (tow mirrors with a second convex mirror) on the new truck and backing up! I guess that after 6 1/2 years with the F-150 I was so accustomed to everything it was simply easy. I'm getting comfortable finally and the Ram is actually easier to maneuver.

I looked at the GMC trucks and they are beautiful! One of the sharpest mechanics who ever worked for me now works as a GMC tech and he has nothing but great things to say about the product... I'm sure it is awesome!
Enjoy that truck!
Bruce
Old 03-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Very nice ride...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
BruceB - My truck is quite a bit older than your new one but I have been enjoying the integrated exhaust brake for about 6 years now. Between the brake and the 6 speed transmission it is very reassuring that the truck is very capable of controlling the load. This truck was engineered to work! Towing our Airstream is just downright fun at times!
The engine in my truck didn't start to really seem broke-in until about 20k miles when the fuel economy went up 2 clicks.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I've just short of 2,000 miles on my 2016 RAM 2500 Laramie 6.7 Crew cab with rear air leveling. I'm seeing right around 15.5-16 mpg pulling my 23D on hilly areas of coastal California. I know it will get better,

We saw just over 20 mpg on the 100 mile stretch of Hwy 101 between San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara, Ca while doing the 800 mile differential break in with no load. That included some hilly areas and a grade. That was just about the same as my 2013 1500 Hemi on the highway. However the Hemi average around 12.5 to 13.5 towing.

Funny about the towing mirrors. They have taken some getting used to for some odd reason.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KC TB.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	655.2 KB
ID:	259156  
Old 03-20-2016, 10:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I know this is off of the mpg subject...but I was wondering if anyone has used their Tow Haul/Exhaust brake in rain or icy conditions. The RAM manual cautions against using the exhaust brake under those conditions citing the possibility of the rear end breaking loose.

I've got around 10,000 miles of Canada and Alaska ahead of me this summer and imagine that I'll run into wet conditions in mountainous areas where I'd like to use the exhaust brake.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have never had trouble in rainy weather but I imagine it could be an issue on ice or snow. Just use some discretion and common sense.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote