Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from snowy Atl. . . I missed a gas stop on I-10 in NM one night and my '08 F250 went 23 miles PAST the '0 miles to empty tank' message !!! Needless to say I was VERY glad and learned my lesson, I hope.regards, Craig
Old 01-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Does anyone have 100k + on a Ford's new 6.7 Diesel -- any problems?
backflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #63
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I have 10,600 miles and no hiccups or issues here.

There is a guy on Ford Truck enthusists that has over 50,000 miles and not a problem

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #64
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
I have 10,600 miles and...
it is time for u to bump this thread with the miles and engine hours for that new truck...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...lly-36727.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #65
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Mileage 10,773
Engine hours 365
Idle 96

What can you tell me?

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 01-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #66
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
it is time for u to bump this thread with the miles and engine hours for that new truck...

Did anyone else picture Zeus, himself?

29 mph is respectable, Shane (365 into 10K). How does the Idle time figure?

How many gallons used?

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #67
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
I don't understand the meaning of this?
Please explain....whats respectable?

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 01-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #68
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The lower the mph the more poorly the truck is being used. Too much idle time, too much stop-n-go traffic, poor trip planning, etc. "Respectable" simply means that the truck is being operated -- so far as speed is concerned -- at a rate (and hopefully, manner) which accommodates design criteria.

Now, a local contractor dragging a Bobcat around with his landscaping crew won't do so well. Nor will his cpm operating costs or the vehicle life projection. Fleets do sophisticated analyses of this sort of data. For us mud-grubbers, anything above 25 mph is okay, but above 30 mph is respectable. My last reading was 170,300 miles at 4,300-hrs, or, 39 mph. As high fuel economy and low operating costs are important to me gauging where I am with this (and tire plus brake life) tells me a good bit about vehicle usage. Tires & brakes are averaging above 120k per replacement sets, and fuel economy by itself is at 22.5 mpg the past 22,000 (no heavy towing). Total repairs are under $500 since new.

It's a piece of the puzzle, is engine hours & average mph.

If you want to play with the big boys you'll also want to do fluid analysis trending: Dyson Analysis.

And then learn to break things down for a CPM (cents-per-mile) analysis: AAA 2010 Cost Estimator (plus other sites, such as Edmunds "True Cost of Ownership". (Don't forget any aftermarket additions to the vehicle).

As you just recently traded, folding in the trade for this truck -- plus going back a couple of years -- will tell more about the CPM of the past few years. The vehicles are not really separate, is the point.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #69
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Oh ,...well I do IDLE a lot. It's part of my business. The 96 hours of idle time and I purchased my truck around the first of September. But business has been a little slow.

So on that rational 96 hours equals almost 20 hours a month of idle time....if thats what that means. Unless the 96 hours of idle time is INCLUDED in the total engine hours.

IDK.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 01-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #70
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

Did anyone else picture Zeus, himself?

29 mph is respectable, Shane (365 into 10K). How does the Idle time figure?

How many gallons used?

Ok whats the Zues reference?

My Boxer pup is named Zues....I'm clueless.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 01-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #71
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Go back to 2Airs' "command" . . . .
Old 01-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
I have 10,600 miles and no hiccups or issues here.

There is a guy on Ford Truck enthusists that has over 50,000 miles and not a problem

Shane
You will have to be patient Shane,,,, the 6.0 powerjoke engine didnt develop its probs until 60k or 70k miles.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #73
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Oh ,...well I do IDLE a lot. It's part of my business. The 96 hours of idle time and I purchased my truck around the first of September. But business has been a little slow.

So on that rational 96 hours equals almost 20 hours a month of idle time....if thats what that means. Unless the 96 hours of idle time is INCLUDED in the total engine hours.

IDK.

Probably a way to find out.

At 30 mph in a metro area one would have almost NO idle time of consequence. Nationwide, metro traffic moves (on all non-limited access roads) at an average of 15 mph. So, 30 would be very, very good (unless you are running I-20 all day long, back & forth.)

96+365 = 461, or, 23.3 average mph.

You'd have to tell us which actually better fits. I wouldn't be surprised to see the latter mph number for an in-town (in metro area) work vehicle.
Were it me I'd like to bump it up bit, but my business use of the truck is simply some deductible miles each year, not the fancier depreciation model my father would have used for his full-time use in business.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #74
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
You will have to be patient Shane,,,, the 6.0 powerjoke engine didnt develop its probs until 60k or 70k miles.
Yeah, I've already seen one report of a new Ford downed for over a week due to a fuel pump problem (they finally pulled one off a new truck at the dealership).

So Shane, how many gallons used over that 10,700-miles?
The worse it is the sooner we can chalk it up to 96-hours of "idle time" (and being new, a Ford, etc ).

Old 01-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #75
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Yeah, I've already seen one report of a new Ford downed for over a week due to a fuel pump problem (they finally pulled one off a new truck at the dealership).

The worse it is the sooner we can chalk it up to 96-hours of "idle time" (and being new, a Ford, etc ).

Thats twice you asked me that...My truck doesn't show...I just went to store and tried to look it up...I just don't know,..honestly.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 01-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #76
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:

Ford makes fuel pumps?.....

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 01-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #77
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Whew,... at least I will have 50,000 miles of no worries....

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 01-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #78
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thats twice you asked me that...My truck doesn't show...I just went to store and tried to look it up...I just don't know,..honestly.

You mean you've walked the plank with [14] different Ford truck threads . . and won't be able to back up the blather!!??

We love ya, Shane, but since this is Ford's third time out of the gate with another newly designed diesel engine in just ten years (versus 23 years of Cummins in Dodge), methinks cryin' wolf about the wonderfulness of it all ain't enough without fuel receipts.

Without the ribbing, your desire to show the products (Airstream & Ford) in all lights are of interest to the rest of us (some of us), so your fuel use -- however it is broken out -- is also useful. TV's are never cheap.

Some of us don't buy new, so an owner (hopefully, several or more) who've been reporting on towing Airstream trailers with a particular spec truck, has performed a fine service, IMO. The data set is incomplete without numbers: scale receipts and hitch rigging numbers, fuel use numbers, cpm, etc.

For me, projecting costs is a big part of ownership of TV and TT. Your help is always welcomed as I make further comparisons (and the reason I read this thread -- and others like it -- to begin with). I assume the next trailer will be a 30-34 footer needing a fair sized truck . . but life has a way of throwing curves at my plans. I could be in a 23' being pulled by a V6 gasser next year.

Thanks for any trouble you go to in the future on this request.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #79
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:

You mean you've walked the plank with [14] different Ford truck threads . . and won't be able to back up the blather!!??

We love ya, Shane, but since this is Ford's third time out of the gate with another newly designed diesel engine in just ten years (versus 23 years of Cummins in Dodge), methinks cryin' wolf about the wonderfulness of it all ain't enough without fuel receipts.

Without the ribbing, your desire to show the products (Airstream & Ford) in all lights are of interest to the rest of us (some of us), so your fuel use -- however it is broken out -- is also useful. TV's are never cheap.

Some of us don't buy new, so an owner (hopefully, several or more) who've been reporting on towing Airstream trailers with a particular spec truck, has performed a fine service, IMO. The data set is incomplete without numbers: scale receipts and hitch rigging numbers, fuel use numbers, cpm, etc.

For me, projecting costs is a big part of ownership of TV and TT. Your help is always welcomed as I make further comparisons (and the reason I read this thread -- and others like it -- to begin with). I assume the next trailer will be a 30-34 footer needing a fair sized truck . . but life has a way of throwing curves at my plans. I could be in a 23' being pulled by a V6 gasser next year.

Thanks for any trouble you go to in the future on this request.

I really don't worry too much about mpg....

The old saying is...If you have to ask then, well you can't afford it applies to me,I believe. Now if I had a 10 truck crew, I can understand the calcualtions. BUt no matter what... I'm going where I wanna go and work where i have to.

Hope this helps,..since i'm not towing as of late my "LIE o METER" on my truck says 16.8,...which is mostly city driving.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Ford makes fuel pumps?.....

Shane