Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

North Woods , Illinois
2010 Toyota Sequoia 4x4 TV

We're in the process of closing in on a 2010 27' Classic, which has been far easier then finding the right TV. A pick-up truck really doesn't work for us, so we were left with little options until we talked to a family towing a 28' boat 7500lb's plus, through the Smokies. They were climbing with this boat behind them like it wasn't even connected.
My question is, does anyone have any input or experience with the new Sequoia's as TV's. In your opinion, do you see any issues towing a 27' Classic with this SUV? They're are just the two of us so we won't be loading it down much at all, what do you think?

Thanks!
laynlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
We have a Tahoe because the truck does not work for us either.
You would have to know how your Toyota is equipped in terms of rated towing capacity. Does it have a HD tow package, HD cooling etc...
Keep in mind that towing a boat vs a travel trailer are two different things.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
The Sequoia is built on the Tundra platform and with the 5.7 L engine it is a pulling machine with 381 HP and 401 ft.-lbs or is it lbs.-ft of torque . I have the Tundra and pull my 25ft FB with no problem. Aside from the latest issue with their gas pedal problems, the Toyota is a very well built rig and the Sequoia has escaped all of the troubles. I wouldn't hesitate getting one and you probably can swing a very sweet deal now that they are hurting a bit.

Dick
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

North Woods , Illinois
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
the sequoia is built on the tundra platform and with the 5.7 l engine it is a pulling machine with 381 hp and 401 ft.-lbs or is it lbs.-ft of torque . I have the tundra and pull my 25ft fb with no problem. Aside from the latest issue with their gas pedal problems, the toyota is a very well built rig and the sequoia has escaped all of the troubles. I wouldn't hesitate getting one and you probably can swing a very sweet deal now that they are hurting a bit.

Dick
Old 03-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
B-14....O-6

Just do it!!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
I've got an 08 Platinum Sequoia - best SUV I've ever owned, just love it. I tow our 28' CCD no problem. My previous TV was a diesel Excursion, which is hard to beat for just towing, but the Sequoia does just fine - and doesn't have the tendency to ride the tow truck like the Excursion did. It's all about trade offs - if I were towing alot, I'd have to rethink the Sequoia I think - just not what it's really made for, given the low profile tires, lack of tow mirrors, etc. No substitute for Diesel IMHO. BUT I've had no problem towing with the Platinum - the auto leveling suspension works great with the trailer, just like having aftermarket air bags, and the brakes and engine are plenty strong. When I first started towing with it, I tried to baby it and not get into the gas too much - after awhile, I found that it does better if I just get into the throttle and not worry about it. Mileage tends to be in the 9.5-11 MPG range. Also, the rear camera on the Sequoia is perfectly located, best I've ever used for hooking up the trailer, like playing a video game. I had three suburbans over the years, never liked them but needed the size, and don't intend to have any more - the Toyota is just so much more solid and refined... truly an awesome vehicle.
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I love Refined.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

North Woods , Illinois
Just a thought regarding the rims/tires size on the Sequoia. If the choice was to do a lot of towing could you just have a different set of wheels and tire, Tundra set or something equal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie39j View Post
I've got an 08 Platinum Sequoia - best SUV I've ever owned, just love it. I tow our 28' CCD no problem. My previous TV was a diesel Excursion, which is hard to beat for just towing, but the Sequoia does just fine - and doesn't have the tendency to ride the tow truck like the Excursion did. It's all about trade offs - if I were towing alot, I'd have to rethink the Sequoia I think - just not what it's really made for, given the low profile tires, lack of tow mirrors, etc. No substitute for Diesel IMHO. BUT I've had no problem towing with the Platinum - the auto leveling suspension works great with the trailer, just like having aftermarket air bags, and the brakes and engine are plenty strong. When I first started towing with it, I tried to baby it and not get into the gas too much - after awhile, I found that it does better if I just get into the throttle and not worry about it. Mileage tends to be in the 9.5-11 MPG range. Also, the rear camera on the Sequoia is perfectly located, best I've ever used for hooking up the trailer, like playing a video game. I had three suburbans over the years, never liked them but needed the size, and don't intend to have any more - the Toyota is just so much more solid and refined... truly an awesome vehicle.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
danville , California
The stock tundra tires are not much better, although you could get a set of 18's from a tundra which would make it easier to find the proper load range of tires. I am not sure what size rims the sequoia comes with. On my tundra I put a set of good year wranglers with silent armor pro grade, so they are a nice heavy truck tire, hurt he milage a little but with towing I dont care and dont want an overloaded tire to fail on me.
gmwelder86 is offline   Reply With Quote