Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Winter Living
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
So we are looking to spend Jan, Feb and March somewhere in the St. George area. We've ruled out AZ and NM as it's a bit too far from Idaho where we need to return monthly. What's the weather like? We have a 19ft flying cloud for two of us and two big dogs so being able to spend time outside is critical! Any recommendations on RV campgrounds? We normally boondock but are looking for fulltime hook ups and not having to move.
Thanks!
guntertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Here is an overview of monthly average temperatures. Compared to most places in Idaho it should be pleasant, yet it can still get below freezing at night.
St. George, Utah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Woodall's guide lists McArthur Temple View RV Resort, at www.templeviewrv.com
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
We will be traveling to St. George the end of Feb. A recommendation from a friend's sister ( she lives in St. George) is Temple View RV Park. Check out their web site for information. We've booked the first week there & then we'll see what else is in the area. My understanding is there are numerous state & national parks....not all with camping, though.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Snow Canyon! We were there last February. It's a state park, 14 of the sites have electric hookups. Despite its name, does not get much snow in winter. When we were there, we had temps in high 30's to low 40's at night. Definitely tolerable, and beautiful. There are pictures on my blog, linked below.

Steve
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Highland , Utah
Family there

I have family in Hurricane about 20 min from St. George.
It does get cold there in the winter, it even snows on occasion, but it warms up in the daytime.
I live in Highland Utah 30 miles south of Salt Lake City just outside the Wasach Mountain Range and we travel to St. George for Halloween, Thanksgiving_those of us not in retail_ and every other feasible reason to go- because it is nice weather in the winter, more easily tolerated than our major cold fronts and incessant wind.
I myself have not stayed in any of the campgrounds - my travel trailer is not ready for real life yet, heck I still do not know what it is ,
I look forward to sleeping in my own bed when I "visit" next year.
Have fun and let us know how or if you like it.
caryn
vintagecaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Seve, thanks for the tip re: Snow Canyon. The pictures on your blog are awesome. We will probably spend a few days there.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Snow Canyon is awesome! We'll be there in early March.

You can phone ahead to reserve a site or go on-line @ Reservations | Utah State Parks or ReserveAmerica.com . Not sure how long you can stay, though; but it's probably at least two weeks. Zion National Park is also super, though these places are not strictly sub-tropical. Zion Canyon can get quite cold and windy at night, but it can also be very pleasant during the day in winter. There are RV parks in its gateway community of Springdale, UT.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Thanks everyone. Snow Canyon is beautiful but has a two week limit and no cell service....deal breakers in this case. We've had a change of plans and are going to stay the winter in Idaho. Wish us luck and look for our posts in the Winter Living section!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Another strong vote for Snow Canyon. We were there in mid-May 2010 at the peak of flower time. Hit that one right!

The campground host was signed on until the end of June but said that camping really drops off after Memorial Day due to heat and they'd bail shortly after that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow Canyon.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	174560  

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
South East Idaho , South East Idaho
Willow Wind R V park in Hurricane. quiet for being in the middle of town. Cable and Wi Fi
Grad67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Results of Research

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your feedback. Thought I'd let you know our opinion after spending a week in the St George Area checking out the options.
First off you should know we decided to stay in Idaho for the winter. For a variety of reasons but one of them was that it wasn't quite as warm in the area as we hoped. Yes, we realize the whole of west has been in a cold snap, it was -5 degrees outside the Airstream this morning! Unusually cold for here. If we are going to deal with cold and snow we might as well stay at home!

So, onto our opinions:
Zion River Resort in Virgin was really the only choice for us. Resort says it all, great amenities, reasonable (off season) rates, good location (out of city but accessible), friendly staff. We discovered that many folks in the Las Vegas area leave their RV's there for the winter and use them as get away cabins. Cool idea I thought.
The RV parks in the St George area where the of the trailer park variety which typically doesn't work too well for us long term. Good location if you need to be near town but not much space for our Chessies to run free.
There was a place right outside of Zion that was a little too cold and shaded for winter for us. For shorter term visits I would recommend Snow Canyon first, Zion park itself second (limited hookups) and Quail Ridge State Park (between Hurricane and St George).
Hope that helps some one elsse!