Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
What was in this hole next to the old radio?

besides a nightmare of crazy wires? Can I do away with the radio and contain the wires. Not sure what this wad of wire is for.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
My guess is that it was for an external (seperate) tape deck. The radio is obviously a newer unit. Take a look here: http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...0&userid=17830. The large unit on top is my Excella's radio while the external cassette deck. Everything works, but the on-off switch on the radio is buggy and hard to get to come on.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Vaughn - That is quite the nice set up you have... your not missing a thing! I have entertainment ENVY.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Old 12-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Chatham , Ontario
On our '73 Tradewind it was an 8 track tape deck. I actually saw in in there when we were first looking at it, but it was gone when we picked it up. I guess the PO wanted it (for whatever reason). I didn't complain, though ... after all, we got the trailer just for hauling it away. And I wouldn't want an 8 track player anyway!

The wires in our console are speaker wires (for 4 speakers) and the power wires. You might have more because of the radio there as well. Doesn't look original equipment to me.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks a Lot!

I do plan to replace with a new unit that works with iPhone. Will remove the cassette deck and replace with a 10" Sansui subwoofer power by a Sansui amp that are currently in my Trade Wind. Currently listening on my Mac using iTunes.

You gotta love the look of the old components, large knobs and analog tuning, but the quirky switch and old technology really have to go. They will end up in the classifieds someday I guess.

Watching your projects too. A lot of work, but it looks like you have a good trailer to work with. I'll keep watching.

Best of luck!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Cynthia,

I think Vaughn is right; the radio is not original, and when a PO ripped out the original system and put in the "new" one, he probably just left the tape deck opening open, and the pile of spaghetti wiring open too, for people to admire ::koff::

The only thing I would mention is that IF the PO worked out the wiring so that you can update that system where it is, you may be wise to identify which wires are power, ground, and the leads to the speakers. Label them, then wait till you get to that part of your adventure with Rin Tin Tin to decide if the stereo will stay there or not. If you decide to put it down where Vaughn did, it'll be simpler to move wiring before you get the couch put back in.

At least that way you will know where the needed wires are, and won't have to start tearing wall panels apart to find them.

If your TT is like mine, you have two speakers in the front (one on either side of the couch, up on the wall) and another pair in the sleeping area.

While your TT is wide open, it might also be a good idea to make sure that the wires to all those speakers are OK from the stereo set on back to the speakers. Even if you later change the speakers, having operational wires to them will be a Good Thing.

Fun, fun fun!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Most of those wires are from the newer audio components. The original wiring is pretty basic: a 12v power line, ground, 2 pair of speaker wires and antenna.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
In my 1970 Overlander: Motorola 8 track stereo tape deck model TM713S
Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Most of those wires are from the newer audio components. The original wiring is pretty basic: a 12v power line, ground, 2 pair of speaker wires and antenna.
PERFECT, Thanks for info. I feel better now.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Mine in the credenza on the side came from the factory. I wouldn't even consider trying to move yours. If everything works now, all I would do is cover the hole.

Maybe make a small place to store CDs or other small stuff and fill the hole with that.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Mine in the credenza on the side came from the factory. I wouldn't even consider trying to move yours. If everything works now, all I would do is cover the hole.

Maybe make a small place to store CDs or other small stuff and fill the hole with that.
OH My, my plate is full with all I have going on. Would not consider moving that. I like the original AS clock and guages. May replace the radio down the line...Just trying to figure aprox. how many wires requires just for the radio, existing speakers and the original AS panel and nothing more.. Thank Heaven

Old 12-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
That blank opening would be a nice place to install an automotive CD changer, once that wiring is checked out and removed or prettied up as needed.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Wildr,

Are the tambour doors there?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Wildr,

Are the tambour doors there?
Sadly, No doors only the tambour guides are left... I MAY take out the whole plastic thing (sorry, I dont know what its called) that houses the guages and radio....