Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Fairfield , Ohio
Walls need help!

I have a 1960 Tradewind and the interior skins need a good cleaning. Actually they are really bad. I tried soap and water and it didn't do much. What can I use? Most stuff I've looked at says no to aluminum. What do you use?
WcfdPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I cleaned the interior walls of our '75 with 409. It still took some "elbow grease", but it worked.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Walls need help!

Greetings WcfdPiper!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WcfdPiper View Post
I have a 1960 Tradewind and the interior skins need a good cleaning. Actually they are really bad. I tried soap and water and it didn't do much. What can I use? Most stuff I've looked at says no to aluminum. What do you use?
If your walls have the original Zolatone (looks like spatter paint used in the trunks of similar vintage automobiles), that finish is quite scrubbable. What you are looking for is a product that will cut grease based grime as well as nicotine stains if the coach has been owned by tobacco smokers in the past. Some of the products that have been used with varying degrees of success include:
  • Simple Green -- an environmentally friendly cleanser that may be the solution if your walls are only moderately soiled.
  • Trisodium Phosphate -- a very strong cleanser that is often utilized to clean surfaces prior to painting. It is corrossive, but used with care in a diluted mixture with close attention paid to careful thorough rinsing may be another option.
  • Denatured Alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol) -- this is my favorite solution and I have used it with success when cleaning the interior wall surfaces in both my Overlander and Minuet. The low-cost generic Denatured Alcohol works as well as the name-brand and is much more budget friendly. On very heavily soiled surfaces, I use it straight from the bottle to saturate a synthetic sponge -- then scrub away. I learned this trick when cleaning up one of my rentals when the tennants of 20+ years moved out -- they were very heavy cigarette smokers and the walls and ceilings were covered with nicotine byproducts.
  • Orange-Up Heavy Duty Cleaner and Degreaser -- this is a product that I have used in the past to remove grafiti left by students on computers and workstations. It will remove almost anything with an oily base, and does so with a pleasant orange smell. While environmentally friendly, it will sting if it comes in contact with an open wound or broken skin (I learned to always wear gloves when using the product). A little of this goes a long way.
Another option to consider would be to consult with a knowledgeable clerk in your local paint store (not a mass merchandiser -- rather a merchant who only sells paint and painting supplies). My local Dutch Boy paint dealer has always been very helpful in finding products to solve problems that my tennants have left in units that have been vacated.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
New Glarus , Wisconsin
I used Windex w/ vinegar & Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on the zolatone. Worked great! I also used them on the vinyl and it worked great, but I think the "sticky" is coming back?!? I think I read somewhere about Krud Kutter? Haven't tried it yet though...
safari65WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Rockford , Illinois
Westley's
BLEACH-WHITE
This will clean your walls without damagint anything.
Shalay is offline   Reply With Quote