Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
original TV antenna for 1964

I’m looking for information about the original TV antenna set up for my 1964 Safari. It mounted outside on the right side of the front window. The main mount is still there and connection for flat wire antenna lead. The other end of flat wire lead is on left interior wall near refrigerator. What did the rest of the antenna mast and head consist of? Was this system the forerunner to Braund Skyliner which mounts on the roof? There is no inside wall mounted crank type controller or hole for one. Looks like it calls for a straight forward mechanical directional type antenna on mast.

What was the original antenna setup and wiring for 1964? Does anyone have old one for sale or photos available?
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
On my 1963, there is a folding multi segment antenna on the right front of the trailer, mounted on a telescoping mast. This mast, once extended, can be rotated from the inside via a bakelite housed crank assembly. The wiring disappears in the front end cap, and then exits near the refrigerator.
My Overlander is ( was) an International model, perhaps this explains the extra parts that you don't have on the Safari.
This system might well be the braund predecessor.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Uwe, Thanks, Thats what I had invisioned. I think the version mine came with is probably similar unit but without the inside directional control. Is it possible for you to take a few photos of the mounting, mast, the antenna head extented and closed up? How large is the antenna head itself? How does the unit stow when collapsed for travel. If you decide to replace yours with modern unit I'm interested.

Thanks, Walter
Old 01-10-2005, 06:46 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Walter,
I am unable to take pics for you, as my trailer is in shambles right now. Otherwise I'd be delightet to do this for you.
Check out my thread "A63 for me", it might show the antenna assembly in one of the first pictures.
For travel, the antenna folds upwards and becomes sort of like a rake, with all the elements of the antenna sticking close together. My antenna is still functional, from 1963. I don't know how the reception is going to be. My 1971 Tradewind has a batwing with amplifier, and for practical purposes, this antenna is amazing. It would fit well on a pole on your original mounting position,and is lightweight enough to remove easily for travel. I believe Winegard makes the Batwing System.
I am not sure which way I will go once the trailer is ready for the road. If I decide to change the antenna system, then it will be available for sale. I won't know for a few more month, though.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Uwe, thanks your pictures help me see what I'm missing.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Big Bear Lake , California
Look what I got

Hey Walter,
Here's a PIC of mine as it was. Its yours if you'd like it. PM me.
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AR 4 r.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	10064  
Wardinbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

TV Antenna

Walter:

Here's a good photo of the antenna in the "down" (or travel) position:

http://www.airstream.net/images/flags.jpg

In the down position, the "aerial rods" are parallel to the front of the trailer. When the mast is raised, the rods are parallel to the roof.

Like UWE, my 63 is an International model, and it came with the TV antenna as well as the "police" (whip) antenna. Here is a "before" picture of mine:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/63FC/63FC.html

Although I generally tend toward the "faithful restoration" end of the spectrum, I decided to remove my antennas. I wasn't planning on watching TV while camping, and the antennas were a tangle waiting to happen. Personally, I think it looks better without them. Here's an "after" picture:

http://www.airstream.net/rallies/03-...StoddardsD.jpg

Anyway, you might think twice about going with the antenna. My old antenna is sitting on the side of the garage here in sunny (Ha!) San Diego. If you really want one for a restoration, you're welcome to mine.

Tom
63flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Big Bear Lake , California
Question Anybody Know What This Is?

Hi All,
The attached PIC shows the antenna on my rig with a bracket over the front window. Does anybody know what that bracket is or was used for?
Thanks,
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AR 4 r.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	10077  
Wardinbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags