Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2020, 11:37 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Wilderness , MO
Modification of Bench Seating

This is a question specifically about the 25' Globetrotter (2020). We like the size, layout, amenities, and the darker woodwork. We would like to use it full-time. It has a table at which to sit, eat, work, and socialize. It has a bed for sleeping and taking a nap. The kitchen area is perfect. The bathroom is more than adequate.

The only thing we find missing, that would make it complete, is a place to relax. The "bench" on the driver's side isn't comfortable for the purpose of relaxing. What modifications do you know that have been made to make that area comfortable? In my mind--and this may be a bad idea, you'll let me know, please--is to remove the "bench" and replace it with two small(ish) swivel rockers.

Thank you for the insights and comments informed by your experience.
jfreeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
A lot of people "customize" their trailers after bringing them home...even the new ones! Some friends of ours totally removed the "sofa" in their Airstream to replace it with two lazy boys which they love.

If you are at all handy, you can remove the bench (or a portion of it) yourself to add two swivel rockers as you suggest - or there are pros out there that can to do it for you. No problem. I know there are some folks that were at Alumapalooza last year (at the factory) that do custom Airstream modifications in the exact same finishes as modern rigs - they are pretty pricey though, so I didn't pay much attention. Besides, we do all our own work on our vintage trailer. Regardless, the interior of these things go together pretty easy (even the new ones) - basic tools like a screw gun are all you need. You may have to make some kind of "end panel" at the new end of the shortened bench, but that could be pretty simple too.

If you do decide to modify it - try to think of your trailer's "next owner" who may want to put things back the way they were...they will appreciate it if you save the parts removed.

Good luck in what ever you chose to do!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
I thought about doing something similar to the bench in my FC30, but the furnace is located under this seat. Since relocating the furnace would be excruciatingly difficult, we have learned to love the bench as-is. IIRC, the furnace is also located under the bench in the GT25 models.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have a 25 Front bed Flying Cloud. I kept the street side as is; and removed the curb side bench and replaced it with a swivel recliner. I also narrowed the table (replaced).

Some have also removed the complete street side and replaced with a second recliner and work station.
Good luck with your mods. and welcome aboard.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
Look up the website at ultimateairstream.com

They do factory authorized modifications to airstreams. Just looking at their pictures, what they can do and have done will give you some great ideas.
quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
North-Central , Florida
swivel recliners in FC25 FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I have a 25 Front bed Flying Cloud. I kept the street side as is; and removed the curb side bench and replaced it with a swivel recliner. I also narrowed the table (replaced).

Some have also removed the complete street side and replaced with a second recliner and work station.
Good luck with your mods. and welcome aboard.

____
Airtandem: Got any pix for us? Looking for ideas. Thanks
djbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:14 AM   #7
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I would get a variety of different shaped pillows and try different combinations to see really what you might like in the end. I thought of recliners incliners to save wall distance space. However, my experience tells me I might get tired of a particular chair after a while. If that happens you have to go through the whole process all over again. Plus all the $$$.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote