Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Is there a better mattress out there?

Hello all,

Has anyone found a better sleeping queen mattress than the stock variety found in a 2007 International FB?

We've added a thick memory foam pad to the top but still find pressure points after lying in the same position too long. I'm not a heavy individual and neither is my wife. I would imagine that heavy individuals would find the stock variety mattress extremely uncomfortable.

I haven't looked real hard outside of flipping pages in the Camping World catalogs but I'm curious if there is a better mattress out there?

thanks,

yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a 2005 Safari 25FB, named Lucy, with the foam mattress. We also added a memory foam topper that we got at Camping World about two years ago. We have spent 340 nights in Lucy in the past 2 1/2 years, and find the mattress/topper combo better than our high end king mattress at home.

I do recall one person here on the Forums having a Tempurpedic custom cut for his Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

When my Overlander underwent refurbishment, one of the changes was to order custom built mattresses for the center twins from Lebeda Mattresses. I was thrilled with the Lebeda beds in my home so I went back to them for my Overlander -- there was an up-charge of $75.00 per mattress for the non-standard size. The mattresses matched those in my home and are equally as comfortable even eight years later.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
I agree with Moosetags. We added the foam topper to the standard mattress and find it the most comfortable bed we have ever had. We hate to come home to our $5k Cal King! I am not light (250) and my wife is not heavy but we both find it very comfortable.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
thick memory foam pad

yakman,
You are on the right track. I found the airstream mattress to be very uncomfortable in our 1995 Excella and we added a thick memory foam pad. That helped but was still not as comfortable as I liked. The old adage, "if a little is good, a lot is better" came to mind and we added a second thick memory foam pad. Now we sleep very comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post
Hello all,

Has anyone found a better sleeping queen mattress than the stock variety found in a 2007 International FB?

We've added a thick memory foam pad to the top but still find pressure points after lying in the same position too long.
I haven't looked real hard outside of flipping pages in the Camping World catalogs but I'm curious if there is a better mattress out there?

thanks,

yakman
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
I no longer have the mattresses that came with my AS 1974 Sovereign twins due to mold that I found on the bottom of them. I am considering buying foam and having it cut to the measurements of the 'bed frame' from a local fabric center and covering the foam with fabric....Regular twin mattresses are much too wide. Has anyone else had the same problem, and if so, what did you do and where did you go to get the replacements?
Old 12-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
We purchased a Queen short at Camping world and added a foam topper. More comfy than the new one on our condo bed --add jersey knit sheets, an electric warming blanket, a good book and we both don't want to get outta bed!
:-D)
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Imeynstein!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeynstein View Post
I no longer have the mattresses that came with my AS 1974 Sovereign twins due to mold that I found on the bottom of them. I am considering buying foam and having it cut to the measurements of the 'bed frame' from a local fabric center and covering the foam with fabric....Regular twin mattresses are much too wide. Has anyone else had the same problem, and if so, what did you do and where did you go to get the replacements?
For maximum comfort, I would suggest looking up your nearest custom mattress manufacturer. There is one of these manufacturers in most larger cities. In my region, Lebeda Mattress Factory is one of the more aggressive marketers of custom mattresses, and they built the custom center twin mattresses for my Overlander. I was able to go to their showroom and select the model mattress that I wanted from their display and they then created a custom mattress to my measurements -- there was a $75.00 up-charge for the custom sizing. Seven years late, these mattresses are still going strong, and I am thrilled with the result.

Kevin

I am not familiar with the company below, but it was listed among the midwest mattress manufacturers:

Fincher Mattress & Upholstery
(870) 772-1511
2703 Division Avenue Texarkana, AR 71854
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
I purchased a 8" latex foam ( non-memory) mattress from overstock.com and trimmed it to fit my corner bed. Could not be happier with the results. The mattress came with a fitted cover that I had the local upholstery shop modify to fit.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Also, try a futon mattress with real spring inserts. I have one at home and all my guests have marvelled at the comfort of it, especially when I tell them it's a futon matress.

They are flexible so if you want to use on a groucho it can do the amazing couch transformaiton and are *much*more comfortable and the cotton/form variants. Also, the price is good at $200-300 for full or queen.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Hi;
Here in the SanFran Bay Area we are fortunate enough to have custom manufacturers. Mcroskey mattress does custom sizes: McRoskey Custom Mattresses and Beds, Bed Accessories, San Francisco, Palo Alto, Los Angeles They have testamonials from lots of custoemrs, have been in business for years, etc.
Our home mattress is from another local outfit, Sleepworks, at green mattresses and mattress systems made from natural latex, organic cotton and wool. Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco, Marin, Contra Costa and Peninsula and we just love it. I think our model is the Nordic; the Nordic 2 is a newer model. No night sweats, one person turning does not affect the other, etc, and the latex over the micro coils provides support but is not too firm. Our coach mattress is still stock, but we won't change until we spend more time in it and find out if it is adequate or not. (Just bought this used mh earlier this year, and work/family issues means we have not been out much yet.) I tried Tempur-pedic pillow and found it was too hot, switched back, first to wool, now trying a ventilated latex (has air channels in it.)
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Stockbridge , Georgia
How 'bout premium marine grade foam, it's very dense, mold and mildew resistant, and comfortable. Just a thought.
mikvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We didn't find the stock queen mattress comfortable either in our '08 Safari. We got a 2" thick memory foam pad and that's fine for us. There were three grades—something like extra firm, medium firm and not so firm. Not knowing one from another, we got the medium and that works for us. Our greatest problem is getting out of bed.

So maybe a different memory foam would work better or a 2nd one on top as suggested by another post. If I wanted to spend more money, I would replace the mattress with a longer one so our feet don't hang over.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
This shall remain one of Airstream's most undesirable features. With what you pay for a new AS you would expect the mattress to be the top of the line but, alas, year after year they ignore their customers and continue to furnish a cheap, uncomfortable, mattress. This shouldn't be something we have to upgrade. It's like putting cheap seats in a new Mercedes.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
In another thread a member describes installing a Queen sized Select Comfort Bed in his '78 Sovereign, 31' long... in the rear bedroom. The bed frame he built and the mattress pretty much takes up the whole room. I'm thinking about doing the same but with a first quality pillow top mattress.

My question is: Should weight of the standard queen size pillow top mattress be a concern at the rear of the trailer?
Thanks!
Steven
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenG View Post
In another thread a member describes installing a Queen sized Select Comfort Bed in his '78 Sovereign, 31' long... in the rear bedroom. The bed frame he built and the mattress pretty much takes up the whole room. I'm thinking about doing the same but with a first quality pillow top mattress.

My question is: Should weight of the standard queen size pillow top mattress be a concern at the rear of the trailer?
Thanks!
Steven
That weight is not a problem.

Memory foam, available at many places, and now at a reasonable cost, not only works great for your home, but your Airstream as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
This may sound dumb but has anyone tried one of those blow up mattreses? We have a double size platform and I was thinking I might try one. I have one in the house that I have used when we had a lot of company. Its on the firm side but I need that for my bad back.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #18
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Smile Queen size mattress

Spend the bucks and buy yourself a Sleep Number bed. You won't be disappointed.
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsteader View Post
Spend the bucks and buy yourself a Sleep Number bed. You won't be disappointed.
Interesting! There just happens to be one of their stores here in Columbus. We may have to go check it out. Although the RV queen is $1249. That's about double of what a nice pillow top mattress would run. I'll have to look at these Sleep Numbers and see how dependable the electronics etc will be.

With the FB, we should be able to go with the full queen at 60X80 vs. the RV short at 60X75. There's certainly room there to extend the bed. Has anyone else swapped out the 75" mattress for an 80" on the FB side bed configuration? We usually throw a collapsible hamper at the foot of bed on floor with a guitar case or two. Are you still able to walk around the bed after adding the 80" mattress.

Hmsteader, do you have a Sleep Number? If so, what model?

Thanks,

yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
I will check out Lebeda and see what is offered. Everything that I need is sooooo far away!!!!!!!!! Our local RV dealerships are very small and as far as parts are concerned--I think I would have better luck trying Wal-mart--just kidding--it is frustrating though!!!