Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
Bathroom Renovation

Does anyone know if a bathroom from a 70 international will fit in a 71 Globetrotter? My GT has the wet bathroom and I want to modify to add the small shower/tub area. I know I will lose some closet and even outside storage space. I just dont like the current shower configuration. Thanks.
KATYBELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
You can make anything fit anywhere, with enough time and effort. It all depends how much you plan to modify it and how much time and how many skills you have. Best of luck!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
Thanks Tphan,

The time and effort is what I am concerned about. I want the reconfiguration to look right and of course not leak, but not take me a couple of months to reconfigure. I have to think about if this will be worth it, but the new (to me) bathroom is just what I am looking for.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Should Work!

The change should work.
Trailer width and sizes were the same and similar models were available from AS at the time. I would think a complete transfer from a donor trailer including interior trim, tanks snd plumbing would make the job fairly simple. I think the finish would also look original. Do you have some of the main parts for the change? Also a good time to add a gray tank if you don't have one already.
Have fun, PEX and today's ABS plumbing should make the job easier.
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
KatyBell make sure your trailer is structurally sound first before spending time, money and effort on renovations. Drop the pan and inspect the frame and floor. Invest the money in a new axle. After 39 yrs the original will be shot. INLAND RV in California sells direct bolt in replacements so replacing it is quite easy. The next step you should take is to make sure the shell is watertight. Replace roof vents, stink pipe gaskets, and door/window/ compartment gaskets etc. Be careful not to add too much weight to your interior renovations with heavy panels and woods etc. Make sure you upgrade your appliances while doing your renovations. The new models have some excellent features which will make camping a lot more pleasant and convienient. Good luck we all look forward to seeing your little project blossom.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfirebob View Post
The change should work.
Trailer width and sizes were the same and similar models were available from AS at the time. I would think a complete transfer from a donor trailer including interior trim, tanks snd plumbing would make the job fairly simple. I think the finish would also look original. Do you have some of the main parts for the change? Also a good time to add a gray tank if you don't have one already.
Have fun, PEX and today's ABS plumbing should make the job easier.
Hi Bob,

Yes I have all of the parts for the change and everything looks good, but I am sure I'll find missing parts. I intend on adding a grey talk also. I am really looking forward to PEXing as it looks much easier than the old way. I tell you, this is all new to me, but with all the help around here this is renovation is becoming addicting.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
KatyBell make sure your trailer is structurally sound first before spending time, money and effort on renovations. Drop the pan and inspect the frame and floor. Invest the money in a new axle. After 39 yrs the original will be shot. INLAND RV in California sells direct bolt in replacements so replacing it is quite easy. The next step you should take is to make sure the shell is watertight. Replace roof vents, stink pipe gaskets, and door/window/ compartment gaskets etc. Be careful not to add too much weight to your interior renovations with heavy panels and woods etc. Make sure you upgrade your appliances while doing your renovations. The new models have some excellent features which will make camping a lot more pleasant and convienient. Good luck we all look forward to seeing your little project blossom.
Oh I completely understand. I have been following your progress and I think I essentially am doing the same thing you are, but on a smaller scale with a GT. I already dropped the Pan and am debating on whether to order nyloboard or go with marine grade ply. I am por 15ing the frame (looks pretty good) and then will work my way up. No leaks so far to speak of, but I am replacing all the roof vents etc anyway. All appliances will be changed also. I guess I am doing what I have learned is the Full Monty. THis bathroom came about out of shear luck and while I am not ready for it yet, i figured I better get it while I can. I just wanted to make sure it would fit before I go down that road.

But you bring up the very point I am most concerned about and that is weight. I am trying to be very careful about not adding weight and cutting it if possible. I am hoping the new appliances will be lighter and using wood that will be lighter. I thought teak, but I don't know about the weight. Finally, you brought up the dreaded axle issue and I think you're right and I may just have to bite the bullet and get one from Andy.

I really enjoy following your posts. I'll post some pics soon when it progresses. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
x

XXXX , XXXX
KatyBell I haven't used nyloboard at all. I just read something about it here. It sounds interesting. I found the marine grade plywood expensive but worth it. Some of the cut offs from the sheets sat out in the rain for several weeks with no delamination or swelling at all.
I'm assuming that your frame is in good shape and just needs POR-15ing.
I full timed in mine here for 7 yrs and I tell you that once I changed out the water heater and furnace it really made life a lot easier. It was bad enough to have to change the propane tanks at 2:00AM in minus 30 Celcius weather but not having to light pilot lights on the water heater out in the cold and the furnace by lieing on the floor was a pleasure. When I changed the water heater I also added the electric option as well which saves a lot of propane.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
What frig, oven, waterpump, waterheater and heater did you buy? I have looked and several and am trying to figure out the best.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hello, KatyBell,

I wonder if that really is a job that will be worth the time and effort to do. If you have a lot of well-experienced helpers who can dedicate their time to completely changing around the electric, drainage, plumbing and lighting, then maybe you can get it done in the time you want to, with a budget to your liking.

But maybe, given all the other stuff you want to do, you would be financially ahead, and be able to hit your time deadline if you just sold your existing TT and bought something a little newer and with the features you want.

If you read some of the long threads on here where members have done a "complete Monty" (which is what it sounds like you will wind up doing) they always seem to take waaay more than just a couple or few months.

After all Rome wasn't built in a day, as the saying goes.

Doodle out the numbers: get estimates of parts, reflect on your own experience in doing this kind of work, and try to see just who could give you how much help (and talk to them about it to make sure they are available).

You are looking at a rather B-I-G job, IMHO, and before you dive in, remember that when you looked for a TT, you probably saw a number of empty shells with owners saying in the ads that they ran out of either time or money to finish them off. Try to imagine how THAT might have happened.

I hate to sound so negative, but please be sure this is really the path that you want to embark on...
Old 10-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hey KatyBell when I bought my A/S the water pump had been changed to a sure-flow model.
The converter had also been replaced wirth a magnatek 55 amp one.
My stove/oven and fridge are original as is my armstrong air conditioner.
I replaced the water heater with an Atwood model GC10A which is a 10 gallon DSI (direct spark ignition) propane with the 110 VAC element. It just fits righr in replacing the old bowen model. the only difference is where the gas line attaches which was an easy alteration. I also had to run 110VAC to the electric element. What I did was to install a plug cord on to the water heater and just plugged it into the bathroom receptacle. Easy peasy.
The furnace was replaced with a suburban model NT-34SP. I was able to reuse the existing hole in the shell and had to build a platform for the furnace to sit on. The hardest part was to modify the ducting. The new furnace uses 4" round ducts and the old one had the square galvanized ducting. Any home furnace installer can make up an adapter for you in just a few minutes. What I had problems with is the small 2" round flexible aluminium ducts to heat the fresh water and the grey water tanks. I am still searching for the right duct for this.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
Hello Aage,

I have given myself until next summer to rennovate my GT. I had already begun replacing the subfloor etc. But you're right, I am reluctant to do a complete bathroom remodel. The cost of the replacement bathroom is $0 so that is why I am considering doing this at all. I can't beat that price. However, I do go back and forth whether it will be worth the hassel. Especially, when the current wet bath is in pretty decent shape.

This is something I really need to think about before jumping into this. The good thing is that I have plenty of other issues to work on before I need to make a final decision.