Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Bathroom vanity and Bathroom vent lights...

OK. Search having been completed, with several results found but nothing matching well enough...

Last Saturday morning in my driveway, I used all of the lights in the trailer to get things loaded into their proper location.

After 4.5 hours of driving in some heavy rain, we spent the next two days camping without lights in the bathroom. All of the breakers were good and none of the fuses were out. The 110 outlet in the bathroom worked, and we had hot water (using the electric setting on the water heater). There were two sets of lights out: the bathroom vanity, and the bathroom overhead vent lights. It rained in the evenings both camping days.

After returning home from the trip and plugged the trailer in, you guessed it, lights were on (since we turned the 3 position switches so many times that we didn't know if they were on or off anymore).

Some additional information that may only distract from the right answer. At the campground, we used our extension cord. The trailer was not rained on for a couple of days before I plugged in the trailer and found the lights on. I have not had light troubles in the rain in the past, but I'm not sure I've pulled the trailer that far in that much rain. I personally feel that the problem is either a fuse connection, or a short.

Anyone have any insight or experience to share?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
I have had similar problem with front lights . It turned out to be a bad fuse holder . When the lights don't work try checking at the fuse with a test light to see if there is power to both sides of the fuse holder with the fuse in place . Sometimes from traveling the fuse would not make good contact , it would also get hot . Good luck
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe View Post
The 110 outlet in the bathroom worked, and we had hot water (using the electric setting on the water heater).
Off topic, but where in the bathroom is that outlet? Just wondering, I haven't come across one in our '74 Sov..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe View Post
There were two sets of lights out: the bathroom vanity, and the bathroom overhead vent lights. It rained in the evenings both camping days.
Same problem here, although they just never work. Will try the test on the fuseholder when I'm there this week.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Off topic, but where in the bathroom is that outlet? Just wondering, I haven't come across one in our '74 Sov..

Same problem here, although they just never work. Will try the test on the fuseholder when I'm there this week.

The 110v plugs on mine are on the under side of the overhead cabinets...I have a rear bath.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

The outlet on ours is under the overhead medicine cabinet, next to the bathroom vanity light switch.
For the lights, you could have a bad switch, no power, bad grounds, even a dozen bad bulbs.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Thanks for the info, Aaron and Terry. I Will look closer!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Sounds like a fuse problem to me too. If there was a connectivity issue, the movement during the trip home could have reestablished the connections. You might try cleaning the fuse holders and fuses.

On the other topic,
Quote:
In my center bath Excella it is behind the mirror above the sink. Can be a little hard to locate.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Vaughn (I know this part was for Sovereignrwe, but I have the same problem),

I've cleaned the fuseholders in my Univolt, and because they were overheating, I also had to trim back the ends of the wires to get to clean wire, and they still are as cantankerous as ever. Oh, they will come on, but if the bathroom lights are on, AND the sleeping area (I have a rear bath, too) one or the other or both will flick off. Jiggling the fuses brings them back on.

I have bought a new converter and fuse panel and hope to be able to get them installed next week. I haven't been using a battery, and apparently the famous Univolt is apt to destabilize when running in that fashion. I wasn't willing to put a bettery in knowing that it would be cooked by the Univolt!

I'll report back when the new converter is installed.

As for a 110V outlet in the rear bath, mine definitely does not have one. Perhaps this is because I have a Canadian trailer which is certified by CSA. I know there is a different electrical diagram for the CSA on, and while I haven't check, perhaps this is one of the differences.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Vaughn (I know this part was for Sovereignrwe, but I have the same problem),

I've cleaned the fuseholders in my Univolt, and because they were overheating, I also had to trim back the ends of the wires to get to clean wire, and they still are as cantankerous as ever. Oh, they will come on, but if the bathroom lights are on, AND the sleeping area (I have a rear bath, too) one or the other or both will flick off. Jiggling the fuses brings them back on.

I have bought a new converter and fuse panel and hope to be able to get them installed next week. I haven't been using a battery, and apparently the famous Univolt is apt to destabilize when running in that fashion. I wasn't willing to put a bettery in knowing that it would be cooked by the Univolt!

I'll report back when the new converter is installed.

As for a 110V outlet in the rear bath, mine definitely does not have one. Perhaps this is because I have a Canadian trailer which is certified by CSA. I know there is a different electrical diagram for the CSA on, and while I haven't check, perhaps this is one of the differences.
It sounds like you are on the right track. If the fuses are hot, there is definitely resistance involved.

I don't blame you for waiting to install the new battery till you replace the Univolt. When the Univolt went south in my Trade Wind years ago it cooked the battery in a big way. The Trade Wind is a rear bath and the battery is at the rear by the access door. It wasn't vented very well and the coach filled with fumes while I was asleep. The CO detector went off showing very high levels. I got up, vented the coach, and the alarm kept going off again till I noticed the sound of the battery boiling.

I bought an Inteli-Power locally and installed it and a new battery the next day. Living with that Inteli-Power was certainly a factor in choosing the replacement for the Excella.

With the new converter and fuse block, you should be in good shape for a long time.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #10

kansas city , Missouri
Bathroom Vanities

Great posts on Bathroom vanity and Bathroom vent lights. it is good for who looks.

Melvin Smith
Bathroom Vanities
cabinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Could also be the light switch. After 30 something years the contacts build up a patina which can cause the on again off again effect as well as overheating. They can be replaced, but make sure you get the right stem length. Or you can take them apart and clean the metal contacts being careful not to loose the small parts.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote