Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Battery Monitoring Options...

Howdy,

I have a 2019 Sport 22FB with factory 180w solar option and 2 12v agm batteries. Monitored with factory Sunexplorer II.

I had decided upon a Victron monitor BUT frankly can't determine exactly how to install. Photos I've seen are not the same set up as I had and look like spaghetti systems....

SO I will be trying some boondocking anyway and I'm curious if there is some sort or hand held temporary device I can attache to the batteries directly to determine health. I know a hassle but better than nothing perhaps and maybe I can gauge the accuracy of my Sunexplorer monitor (Although I understand it just reads the wrong thing and kinda apples to oranges)

Thanks,

Rounder44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Your trailer will have a battery voltage indicator, mine is in the Sea Level II display unit. Although voltage is not as good as measuring the amps in and out it will still provide a good idea of the battery charge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SOC 12 volts.gif
Views:	147
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	333449
Old 02-13-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Your trailer will have a battery voltage indicator, mine is in the Sea Level II display unit. Although voltage is not as good as measuring the amps in and out it will still provide a good idea of the battery charge.

Attachment 333449

Thanks!

I don't plan on using too long AND just bought a generator so mostly for LED lights at night....

The stock one should work for now....

I wish I could determine EXACTLY what the negative cable that come in the AS directly. I tried before and there were a couple candidates as I recall... hence my hesitation to spend a day cutting wires!

Thanks,

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Suggestion: First I will confess I am using the AiLi Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage Current Meter rather than the Victron (don't need the bluetooth to my phone and it's only $50cdn not $350+ for providing basically the same information)

Now... start at your converter/charger your connecting wire go directly from the battery to the converter/charger so you can work backwards. In our Int'l 25 the wires are together and also in a protective flex covering. Red is positive, black (or possibly white is negative (ground). Simply put the shunt anywhere on the negative wire before the converter/charger. It is best to run the monitor (positive wire) directly to the positive battery terminal (I personally connected it to the positive post on the converter/charge because it didn'tmake any noticeable difference in my situation - just saying) Took me 20 min. The monitor itself is located in a stand fixed to the shelf in front.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote