Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Rockwood , Ontario
What to Do About Mice?

While doing my monthly battery hookup, and having a look around, I noticed mice had eaten all the poison packs I had placed. The locations were, under the kitchen sink lines, in the bathroom under the sink, and under the bottom closet panel. Are these the most likely entry points? And what else can I do to try and prevent mouse entry?
breezyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
This year I am trying dryer sheets. Others have reported great success, so I'll be giving it a try. Apparently the critters hate the smell.

My trailer is currently winterized, will report back in spring.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Peski mice.

Hi Breezy way: It is quite obvious that your airstream trailer is mouse friendly. You can put a sign MICE NOT WECOMED or MICE POISON INSIDE and none will work in your favor. You must inspect the exterior of your trailer for possible entry point. 3/8" x 3/4" gap is enough for them to find shelter. You must do whatever it takes to seal all points of possible entry. When you find out where those points are PM me and I will advise you on remedy. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Put your bait OUTSIDE. Bait is intended to be attractive to critters, but poisonous. So if the bait is inside and they're attracted to the bait, they go inside to eat up, and then they're as likely to die inside as anywhere.

But if the bait is outside, there's less reason for them to go inside to begin with.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyway View Post
While doing my monthly battery hookup, and having a look around, I noticed mice had eaten all the poison packs I had placed. The locations were, under the kitchen sink lines, in the bathroom under the sink, and under the bottom closet panel. Are these the most likely entry points? And what else can I do to try and prevent mouse entry?
So now we have dead mice in the trailer somewhere?

DW won't allow poison, (have a camp dog), moth balls during storage, and those mouse whacking spring traps with cheese when in use.
Traps are hidden so the cheese loving camp dog doesn't show up with a trap on his nose.

Bob
Old 12-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
So now we have dead mice in the trailer somewhere?

DW won't allow poison, (have a camp dog), moth balls during storage, and those mouse whacking spring traps with cheese when in use.
Traps are hidden so the cheese loving camp dog doesn't show up with a trap on his nose.

Bob
A trick for spring traps: Set up two, side-by-side, facing opposite directions. I had a mouse infestation in a previous (ground-floor) apartment, and the mouse was smart enough to take the bait off without springing the trap. But with two side-by-side like that, the mouse set off one trap trying to get the bait out of the other.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
I read somewhere that once the mice eat the green poison blocks they go for water. The water is what activates the poison. They usually die outside somewhere. I use both the poison blocks and the spring traps near the entrances in my garage that can't be sealed up. I catch a few each year in the spring traps but have not found a single dead mouse in the garage due to the poison even though it has obviously been chewed up by the mice.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If you have power available where your trailer is stored, I've had success with the ultrasonic rodent repellant things from Tractor Supply.

I also read on here I think it was that one of the best poisons for them because it's actually non toxic is chopped up pinto beans, uncooked, placed on the ground outside. They love it, eat it, and swell up and die.

If neither of these work, I've found the best bait for a trap is a piece of pecan.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
With a little hot sauce they say they are better than chicken wings. Still not a lot of meat on them though.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I tried dryer sheets, found them with lots of little rodent poop on them later ...guesss the little critters were playing with me
Mothballs seem to work though.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
I use glue traps (no poison,no DW to fret) about poison, spring traps ec't )
also when it die's something may eat it and will also die, cats, birds,ect.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Add Peppermint oil to cotton balls and dryer sheets and place throughout trailer. Makes trailer smell good and the oil impacts the mice sense of smell. You can purchase the oil at Trader Joes or just about anywhere. I park my trailer on a dirt lot and have never had an issue.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
An effective trap that I use in my shop, outbuildings, etc. is called Repeating Mouse Trap. I get them online at Gemplers.com for $12.95 ea. The item # is 193108. Its a metal box with a hinged lid. It is said to hold 30 of the varmints. They crawl in but cannot get out. I put peanut butter on a little piece of cardboard to entice them in. (For the squeamish types don't read the next sentence!) They get hungry or thirsty and are cannibalistic! The lid opens for disposal.
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I've had the best luck removing all traces of food before storing, including an extra good cleaning of the galley. The poisoned food baits and trap bait invites them in for a meal. They have an incredible sense of smell it seems.

You can try to find all the entrance points and seal them so they can't chew their way in.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Rockwood , Ontario
Mouse Problem

I already have Bounce sheets everywhere, that I can't stand the smell! Ok, so I have locked bait traps I will put them outside. I will try to find the entry points .... And I will put up the 'No Mice Allowed ' sings and see how that goes!
The pettermint onthe cottonballs sounds like a good alternative to the bounce sheets. Has anyone tried the bucket with rv antifreeze with the wire and pop can?
I will be busy and thanks for all your suggestions
breezyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Use brass "steel" wool to plug entrances. It will not rust.

Another not inexpensive idea is to place the sticky pads around each wheel and jack stand. They get stuck before they can climb onto the trailer. I have yet to see one pole vault over the sticky pads.

The power cord usually attaches on the side with no entrances they could jump to.

Only draw back is one has to check on the status of the sticky pads more than once per month because anything that touches the stuff sticks to it (leaves come to mind).

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
what to do about mice

I've used moth balls placed in strategic locations such that the smell ends up
"down under" the living area. I've used this technique for over 20 years and never had mice. I lift up the dinette seat and throw a few moth balls in the area where the wires come up, throw some moth balls around the pump. I squeeze a few moth balls inside by the steps. Once the mice get the smell they stop coming in.
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
Anyone here try the 5 gallon bucket trap? I'm curious how well it actually works.

bel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Freshcab available online. Not cheap, but we have used it liberally and no problems at all. Smell is pungent but not unpleasant and goes away soon when we open her up in the spring.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by bel73 View Post
Anyone here try the 5 gallon bucket trap? I'm curious how well it actually works.
They work very well. I have seen one which got 15 of the critters in one night! Just water in the bucket is all that is needed and they are gone. I don't know about the extra PB on the ramp though. I have not seen that done.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote