Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
Fredericksburg , Virginia
When Is the Best Time to Winterize

Hi,

We live in Virginia and are new owners this year. When is the best time to winterize? We'd probably take Dolly on the road in January; heading South.

Is the point of doing this to prevent freezing pipes only? So, if we don't winterize before the temps go below freezing are we ok? Or, should we do it and then de-winterize when we're ready to go to a warmer site.

Thank you for any information!

Andi
agabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
BEFORE it freezes.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by agabler View Post
Is the point of doing this to prevent freezing pipes only? So, if we don't winterize before the temps go below freezing are we ok? Or, should we do it and then de-winterize when we're ready to go to a warmer site.
I live on the Gulf Coast, and for the 2013-2014 winter season I winterized FIVE times, because every time I winterized, I ended up going camping not long after.

The way I decide whether to winterize is, once a week I check the Weather Channel's online 10-day forecast for my area, and if the temperature is expected to drop below freezing anytime during that 10-day window, I winterize. If I go camping, I un-winterize when I reach the campground. Once I return home, I go back to checking once a week to see if I need to re-winterize.

Doing it that way, I don't have to winterize again needlessly after the last winter trip.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
But seriously Folks

It's an ounce of prevention that can save a lot of money on repairs and replacements. Newer 'streams like ours use PEX for plumbing pipes which is a bit more forgiving than copper. If you keep your Airstream in a heated space or live in it full time as I do, winterizing isn't necessary. However, when the temps fall, you'd better double check that you've got power, propane, etc. fairly frequently. Don't ignore it for weeks expecting it to be fine. Of course here in Virginia we normally get the worst cold weather in January and February, so you could watch the temperatures closely and hold off on winterizing until it's needed. Even then you still have alternatives:
I-95 South or winterize!
I do have a winterizing kit and a 12 volt tire pressure pump that can blow the lines through the water intake. I can open the low point valves, get the lines drained, pull the plug on the water heater, empty the white, gray and black tanks, and have everything done within 30 minutes in a blizzard. Our fair city has three or four 24 hour WalMarts, so after removing the water filter and setting the water heater bypass valves, I'll be able to buy a gallon or two of RV antifreeze (if needed) on short notice too. (not that vodka won't work in a pinch... but then the dog won't be the only one tempted to drink from the toilet...

How close are you to your Airstream when you aren't using it? In the back yard? Last minute winterizing is possible. Stored 30 miles away - blizzard and roads are impassable? Winterize it ahead of time. (In Virginia 3 inches of snow turns 90% of drivers into raving lunatics, they just ain't used to white stuff.)

BTW there are a couple of threads on the forum with complete "how to winterize" instructions and pictures. Be familiar with the whole procedure ahead of time and have the necessary supplies at hand. That reminds me, I'd better look at the EB's water heater and low point valves. It's slightly different than the prior unit, and I don't need ugly surprises.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Here is a very good thread to read

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...rize-7222.html