Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Also, as it relates, I kinda like the aesthetic of the AS uncovered in the back yard with perhaps some clever landscaping in the area...would look great...
Pharm, I love that idea too. Airstreams are edgey; there are so many interesting ways one could create a backyard camping vignette. Instead of thinking of the Airstream as the home away from home, make it a part of the home experience. The focal point of the backyard. Unleash the creativity.....

Log sitting stools covered with glow-in-the-dark paint.

I have only been away 3X with the FaN. It is really my backyard woman cave and bedroom. Before buying the FaN, I was toying with the idea of building a guest cottage/writing studio, but decided on the trailer because I like the mobility option.

(Aside from that, I'm basically cheap, and figure I'm getting more
bang out of my Airstream buck).
Old 06-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
All you need for your 'tracks' to the back yard are two strips of the grass block I linked to earlier spaced the same distance as your TV and Trailer tires. With grass growing in the voids, they'll blend in nicely. There are many paving options, but you don't need to have a full width driveway, just a pair of tracks to drive on.
EXCELLENT!!! I forgot to even think about this.

So alls I NEED NOW to to is to put down these strips and I can get back in there ok...clear the tree(s) needed to get to the desired spot...I was peaking at the yard a min ago and I am realizing there are a number of possibilities of where to park it...one way would require only a single tree's removal...so possibly one tree roved, set down the grass tracks, and I am at least ready to pull the AS home after purchase and park it...then I can get my money together to build something...or not at all and just create a space for it to sit there...ill have to stew on that.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Pharm, I love that idea too. Airstreams are edgey; there are so many interesting ways one could create a backyard camping vignette. Instead of thinking of the Airstream as the home away from home, make it a part of the home experience. The focal point of the backyard. Unleash the creativity.....

Log sitting stools covered with glow-in-the-dark paint.

I have only been away 3X with the FaN. It is really my backyard woman cave and bedroom. Before buying the FaN, I was toying with the idea of building a guest cottage/writing studio, but decided on the trailer because I like the mobility option.

(Aside from that, I'm basically cheap, and figure I'm getting more
bang out of my Airstream buck).

My sister is an interior designer and she was interested in this backyard landscaping idea...sounds like fun...

She had the idea of the "sails" as a cover from rain and debris, but it would still keep an open airy feel....of course keeping it entirely closed would have benefits from exposure to elements and some protection from medium sized limbs blowing onto it...this is a real concern with moderate-severe weather...of course if the limb/tree is big enough, that wont stop much

Old 06-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
some good news I think...in looking at my backyard, there is a spot right in front of that patio that I think could fit the AS in...either without a tree removed or I may just get it removed.

There is about a tad over 10 feet wide clearance between the patio and the tree in question....AS "exterior width" per AS website is 8'5.5"....so that gives me 18.5 inches or 9.25 inches on either side of the trailer....I think that tree is going to have to go..too close for comfort for me...but still, that is only 1 tree!

And the trailer would then be positioned alongside the grass line and patio....

Old 06-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I added two more photos to my link:

look from front to back yard: Photo by Photographer Ellery Curtis - photo.net

This is look from front to back yard....that spot directly ahead is perhaps the spot...that tree in the middle is a bit more than 10 feet from patio edge..probably will remove that tree...then there is a CLEAR spot for the trailer...not sure about leveling the trailer on this spot...I could use some leveling blocks and such I suppose....but if needed, will need to work on the grade

and view from screened porch above...see the tree in question dead center

look from screen...: Photo by Photographer Ellery Curtis - photo.net

Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
You don't need a concrete pad, you can install grasscrete to form a pad for the trailer and as dual track to the 'pad'.

Grassblock - Paving - Grass Concrete Limited - Cellular grassed paving in concrete or plastic

You could put in a gravel pad. Lots of options. Any kind of structure/roof would likely require a permit from your municipality (even when you aren't in an HOA).

I do not understand this exactly...is it like a mold, then pour concrete leaving open spots for grass to grow?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
wonder how much it is per square foot?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I do not understand this exactly...is it like a mold, then pour concrete leaving open spots for grass to grow?
No, the blocks are already made. Think concrete blocks but in a different shape. You'd lay them out on a prepared surface of compacted earth, gravel and/or sand to ensure a solid base to drive and park upon. The voids are filled with topsoil and seeded. Cost would be dependent on how close you are to a concrete plant that manufactures and distributes them. There are other manufacturers of similar products, so look into what is available locally.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
ahh, i see, but this "grasscrete" you linked to actually is a mold for concrete....pretty cool, but probably more expensive...it is a mold, use rebar reinforcement in the slots, then melt off the tops that become the spots for grass...its all reinforced and much less prone to shift...but probably more useful for commercial use with huge vehicles perhaps going over them.....

I need to find what you are talking about then....so bascially these are pavers...I see

here would be one "problem"

I have a few sprinkler lines...my landscaper who installed said driving over them I will have no problem and if I did, he would repair (he installed them)....probably can avoid this problem pretty easy...just skip over the lines and leave a strip there for the line in between tracks no big deal...

Old 06-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Put that AS right behind the patio and have a party spot there.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
No, it isn't a mold. You buy the finished blocks and lay them like you would patio or driveway pavers. No rebar, etc. If the ground is prepped properly, there shouldn't be shift. Like I said earlier, you should retain a local contractor who can walk you through your options and show you samples and examples of the work you're trying to have done.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Put that AS right behind the patio and have a party spot there.

Perry
yep! pretty psyched....going to call the tree guy tomorrow....go to home depot this weekend and figure out a gate on that fence (ideas there? see photos) - guess I can just buy a gate that swings out from home depot or lowes...

Then I just need to figure out tracks (like the "grasscrete") and level that spot out.

I think tomorrow I will call some paving type folks and see for a reasonable price they could do the tracks and the pad and be done with it so Ill be set.

Thanks for the help everyone....its going to look great in the backyard!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
yep that is the plan...im going to just hire someone who has done this and help me through it....I mine as well consider just having them do a concrete pad...get a quote and do that if it will not be crazy $$$

Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Hey Geek;
Go buy that AS you have been looking at The tow vehicle, hitch etc. and go camping. Camping is suppose to be relaxing but you are making too much work out of it. Don't worry about the other guy. This is NOT the same as school and Pharmacy (Pharm ?)
RELAX AND TAKE THE FAMILY GO CAMPING !!!
mike
Amen.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
ok, so plan of action is almost in motion with parking and storage at my house....

My brother ( a mason) - bought my toyota T100 off me for a real steal price...as a result, he has agreed to get me a concrete pad poured for my storage at cost...I will only need to buy the materials to do the job (estimated at this point 700ish bucks for the concrete and 100-200 for the wood to build the box). He wants to build up to level rather than dig in and do a retaining wall...but this likely will require building as part of it, a concrete ramp that stages up things a bit to get to the level/flat and bit more elevated plane...he is going to bring a laser level and some other tools and do some meansurments next week, but with my looking at it...I think we are looking at about 2 feet of additional height...maybe 3 feet...

Ok, he is studying to be an engineer, but it seems CRITICAL that this grade be such that I DO NOT contact any part of the trailer...we have enough realestate to produce a lengthy more shallow grade it appears...

Part of me is skeptical and I think it would be better off just to dig in, do a retaining wall, but he stressed that "concrete is cheap"....

He poured concrete for my patio and did the flagstone and it is perfect...and he has been doing masonry for 17 or so years about...including working with concrete and such...so I guess I will leave it to him...

I am going to get my contractor involved as well as a second opinion....

Old 07-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Mercer Island , Washington
Pharm, congrats on the new purchases! One thing to consider is with either the retaining wall or elevated parking is you're creating a 3' thing for your kids to toddle off of. Probably only a concern for a little longer for you, but don't let anyone bonk their heads
dcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have a near 3 year old...I know all about it....believe me...

Old 07-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #78

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Also, considering the intended use, if you dig in and build a retaining wall at the back of the storage pad, you're introducing an obstacle to back the trailer into at some point in the future.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Also, considering the intended use, if you dig in and build a retaining wall at the back of the storage pad, you're introducing an obstacle to back the trailer into at some point in the future.
Or on the other hand, an easier way to access the roof of the trailer.

It's like built-in scaffolding!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Good point - my brother said the same thing

Bumping that aluminum costs $$$$$$$$$