Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Driving into winter conditions (before I've winterized)

Hi all,

We're going down to Zion next week, coming back to Park City Sunday night. It will be in the 70s in Zion with lows in the 50s, but the forecast is calling for cold temps and possibly snow in Park City when we return on Sunday.

Something similar happened to us last year. We were in Moab the 3rd week of October, and on the way home hit a snowstorm in Price going through the pass.

What's the best thing to do in this situation? When we have sudden hard freezes and the trailer is in our driveway, I just turn the furnace to 50F and that seems to prevent any issues. But I can't do that while towing the trailer... or can I?

I would rather not winterize it in the campground at Zion if possible. Wondering what the best approach is here?
switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Running the heat for days on end works (to a degree). It can easily use a *lot* of propane. Do you have a pair of 40's (which migh be ok for a few days of really cold) or something smaller.. how lucky do you feel?

The quick / simple / easy solution is to get out a pretty big compressor. Plug in to shore power. Blow out all the lines. It will take a couple hours to do right. It's not a 100% perfect answer, but it does not involve anti-freeze or rise out's.

Some people get lucky and go down into the teens with no damage. Others see extensive damage at 29 degrees. It's a matter of luck. Not a matter of planing. Wind from the wrong direction and you are out of luck. Wind from another direction / weather station over there ... no problem.

Quick, not guaranteed to work answer: open all the faucets, open *all* the drains ... head down the road. Hope the water heater / city water back flow does not self destruct.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I bought a small compressor and we winterized at a campground when we last faced this situation. It was a minor inconvenience and I wasn’t willing to risk freezing lines.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I carry a small 2 gallon compressor and it takes about 15 minutes to blow out the lines, drain the water heater, and put some RV antifreeze in the traps. My trailer also has the winterizing valve before the water pump and I carry a gallon of antifreeze and pump a little into the lines. Make sure you blow out the toilet well and the hand wand. I also make sure the fresh water tank is drained, as that valve is out in the open and will freeze quickly. I leave it open.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:07 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Just leave heat on you'll be fine. You can run heat while towing
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:44 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post
Just leave heat on you'll be fine. You can run heat while towing
That's by far the easiest solution! I'd much rather winterize when I get back home. Thanks!
switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:32 AM   #7
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Uncle Bob is right on, Be sure and take off both water pump hoses and run the pump a few seconds to clear out all the water.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:44 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One thing not mentioned:

Snow on the roads and towing a trailer (especially in the mountains) is not a great combination. Better to hunker down for a day and let it melt than to get in trouble on the road.

Bob
Old 10-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
I’ve run the heat while towing. Best part was the trailer was toasty warm when we got to our destination.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:16 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are lots of combinations of TV wiring and trailer wiring. Many find it difficult to keep more than 5 or 6A running into the trailer at normal battery voltages. Many furnaces pull significantly more ( like 2X) than this with all the blowers and fans running. A trailer cools down quickly running down the road. The furnace may be on a *lot*.

Yes there are a ton of variables there.

The point is that you could easily pull into the campsite with a battery is not so great shape charge wise. If you are then going to depend on that battery to run the furnace overnight ... you could get a surprise around 4AM ...

Bob
Old 10-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
ERIE , Colorado
I've been in this situation several times living in Colorado and this is what I do. Drain the water heater, drain the freshwater tank, open your low point drains, open faucet valves, shower valves and hold the flusher open on the toilet for a few seconds, pour a cup of antifreeze in the pea traps and drive to the next location with all the valves open. With everything open while driving you likely won't have any issues, I have not had a problem with this method over a few years.

Honestly this should take no more than 10 minutes and this is actually what I do to winterize with the exception that I blow out the lines, I don't like the pink stuff and only use it for the pea traps.
WadeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2018 25' International
Chino Hills , California
Healing

Love Zion, We all of Utah. We use a small Dyson heater when we’re on full hook up. Keeps our Airstream at a perfect temperature. no cold or hot spots. Love the remote control feature. Complements our Airstream design. And regulates the heat throughout our 2018 25 FT FBT International serenity..
Safe travels. See you down the road neighbor.
The Silver Buffalo # 22624
Luke Grisott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:46 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Titusville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by switters View Post
That's by far the easiest solution! I'd much rather winterize when I get back home. Thanks!
X2
Dick
dickbogaard is offline   Reply With Quote