Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Cheney , Washington
Lifting and jack standing for axle replacement

I just ordered new axles from airstreamsupply.com for my 1998 Safari 25'. The first step is to lift and jack stand. There is only one labelled lift point per side between the rear stabilizer and the rear bumper. The owner's manual is silent on the subject. Does anyone have advice as to the procedure and jack stand locations? I want the entire trailer lifted and leveled. I see that there is gas line mounted beneath the main frame from the front wheel to the A-frame on the curb side. I might have to temporarily remove that if I am going to lift and jack stand there. If there is already a complete thread on this subject you could point me to that, too. Thanks. Mortimer
M. Bondurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There is usually (on the vintage trailers I am more familiar with) a vertical plate of steel that is welded to the main frame rails on each side that the axles are mounted to. If you jack and support against mounting plate, you should be safe. Now, if there isn't room on this plate to get your jack and jack-stands on there, then try slipping the stands in against the main frame rails immediately behind the axle mounting plates. If in doubt, slip a piece of wood between the jack stand top and the frame rail to better distribute the weight.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Cheney , Washington
No need to reply. I was in the wrong forum (axles) and couldn't find any relevant threads. Now I can see ample discussion and I'm ordering a pair of TrailerAid Plus ramps to be used in conjunction with jack stands. Thanks.
M. Bondurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Since you have a tandem axle why jack it up. Drive one axle at at time on ramps and the other will be off the ground. That is how I did mine. Yes it might be a little easier to get the front axle in place if the rear was out but it is not hard even with the rear in place.
Tip in installing the new ones- use two floor jacks (one under each end) to roll the old one out and the new one in. You can jack the new axles in place on each side a little at a time and keep them from binding.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
axle support for replacement

To remove the old axle and install new I bought a floor jack with an optional arm extension from Harbor Freight. To me this seemed easier than using two floor jacks. The 1x4 board was temporarily U-bolted to the axle to align it with the mounting holes.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-22 13.00.46.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	615.3 KB
ID:	317650  
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Ambassador
Decatur , Alabama
axel replacement

Name:	ramp.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	317667

Name:	axel.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	567.5 KB
ID:	317668

I replaced the axles on my 79 , 28 ft international this march. just pulled the front axle on auto ramps and left the truck attached. Then the same with the front axle. used a floor jack with a modified head, welded up square cradle, to hold the axle. You need a flat drive way and a helper. Use lube on the 5/8 bolts the 5/8 dimpled nuts go on a lot easier.
DOCBloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
If you know where the main frame runs along both sides there should be jack stand points designated with a diamond shape indicator.
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeck11931 View Post
If you know where the main frame runs along both sides there should be jack stand points designated with a diamond shape indicator.
Does anyone really use those?
First, you don't put the jack where it says "Jack", you follow the arrow to a diamond shaped plate. It's supposed to be on the frame.
It requires you to lay on the ground to see them, not a bad deal if you're changing axles, but for tires? Eh? Then my jack isn't flat on top so I need a block of wood also. Then Airstream sometimes runs gas lines or water lines right in the area, just to keep it from being too easy!
I'll venture most folks use the two ramp idea or a floor jack on the axle support rail.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote