Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Globetrotter 2018 jacks

My stabilizing jack on left front works great until I have to hand crank it the last inch. wont budge with the hand crank.
All others are working fine. 2018 Globetrotter
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Is the difficult part when you are raising or lowering the jack pads?

Is there a defect or rust on the threads there, maybe? A good stiff brass wire brush can help clean the threads. Have you lubed the threads with grease?

One aid might be to add wood blocks under your jack pads, thus minimizing the amount hand cranking, if the problem is when lowering the jack pads.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
A little more info would be helpful. Is this a new problem or has that jack always been difficult? If this is something new, as suggested, crawl under there and have a look at the threads (worm gear) that make the foot of the jack go up and down. You may just need to clean the threads and apply a bit of lubrication.

I would not recommend grease though, as it attracts dirt and road grime and you will have the same difficulty raising or lowered your jacks when they get gummed up by the dirt mixed with the grease. Some sort of dry lube works best, anything marked PTFE (Teflon) Dry Lube will do the trick. I use WD40 Dirt and Dust resistant dry spray but there lots of others out there.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Green Cove Springs , Florida
2018 Globetrotter jacks

The stabilizers all work great under power. The problem is when the right jack hits the ground first and I need to hand crank the left one to make it reach the ground.

I have been putting down blocks so far so that the left always hits first and I hand crank the other.

I am a big guy and I could easily break the thing if I kept putting pressure on it
it turns fine otherwise
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Is that electric system supposed to place all four jack pads on the ground, without requiring additional cranking by hand? If there is an electric resistance sensor at each motor, to stop it when that one pad hits the ground, then maybe the sensor at the problematic pad is not working right?

Just a guess . . . not familiar with your system. I would check the jack manufacturer's manual that came in your Airstream paperwork briefcase. Does the AS owner's manual have any further details?

These "power stabilizer jacks" search results may be productive:

https://www.google.com/search?q=powe...=airforums.com
Bingo -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f543...ns-176812.html

[click on orange arrow in quote to go to that last thread linked]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
This is entertaining. Still waiting for someone with one of these beautiful trailers to break down and call the mothership for a detailed explanation of how these power stabs are supposed to work on un-level ground.
I think this is your manual:

https://cdn.airstream.com/wp-content...manual-153.pdf

On p. 6-6 [PDF p. /] it says these jacks adjust automatically to the ground, so I assume your one jack is not sensing the ground correctly? Moreover, maybe the electric motor is not dis-engaging from the drive shaft, either, making it very hard to crank by hand.

Makes sense . . . I would call your dealer and the Airstream 800 number for further feedback.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Edit -- Sorry the post above is somewhat jumbled. I discovered that Bingo thread late in the 10-minute time window for editing this post. If you go to that thread, and Quote someone in it, you will probably get some more-informed feedback IMO.

FYI and FWIW.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote