Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Sealing leak in curved window - 2014 EB 25

I've been closing in on a leak issue in our 2014 Eddie Bauer 25. The issue is detectable on the floor at the very front of the trailer directly under the point where the flat front window meets the curved street side window.

I figured the problem might be from a roof seam... nope. Beltline... nope. Generator connection port... nope. Lower front panel seams or rivet holes... nope. After pulling the interior trim below the window I found water under the trim on the top section of the wall directly below the window. This pic shows that area after I dried it and with the trim still lifted out of place:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0418.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	277328

When I hosed the window for a minute and went back inside I could see a couple of drops of water on that area again. It also was clear that the issue is cause by a slight difference between the curvature of the glass and the curvature of the stainless steel frame that is riveted to the shell. The thickness of the sealer isn't enough to tightly seal the resulting gap. On the outside, the sealant has slightly withdrawn into that space which creates a gutter so that's water running down the window glass goes into the gutter, past the seal where the gap Ismail widest, onto the shelf in the picture above, down the interior skin and into the floor.

Here's a pic of the same area outside:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	277329

Any thoughts on what sealant to use to fill that space between the glass and the stainless frame? I considered Vulkem 116 based on other posts here for older trailers but it isn't recommended for glass according to the manufacturers spec sheet.

I pulled the trim on the other front window and have the same issue there although it's not as bad. I'm guessing the two rear quarter windows have it too.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would start with Captain Tolleys. It did a fantastic job wicking in rivet heads at my storage compartments and sealing up leaks.

Next in line would be Parabond. You can get it in silver. I put a bead on and then take a cloth soaked in mineral spirits and use my finger tip to wipe off the excess while pushing some in the seam. This works particularly well on a 90 degree seam.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Thanks, CRH.

I applied Captain Tolley's as directed yesterday. Today did a thorough soaking and found no leaks!

I'll add inspection of those areas to my routine and keep a bottle of the Captain's finest with me in my sealants and lubricants kit.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Thanks, CRH.

I applied Captain Tolley's as directed yesterday. Today did a thorough soaking and found no leaks!

I'll add inspection of those areas to my routine and keep a bottle of the Captain's finest with me in my sealants and lubricants kit.
That's good news! I should add some of that to my kit too.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Glad it worked for you, GammaDog.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote