Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Indiana
All thing sealing!

Betty is leaking.
She’s an old gal, but I got up on the roof and it needs some serious cleaning, caulking is ugly. Everything is dirty.
I tried to remove the old stuff but it’s a huge pain, and we don’t have shade. So several questions.
1. Is there a way to remove old stuff? Like a chemical or a trick I’m missing. Or a tool?
*its hotter then a b*tch here. Like in the upper 80s.
2. Would things be easier if we removed the old paint? If so how? We do plan on painting her once she’s restored. And not leaky.
3. Around the AC is gross and the wood under/around looks rotted? The AC works though.
4. We’ve got some vents that don’t close. And are old and dirty. They also aren’t transparent (I don’t want them see through) but would like some light. So wondering what to replace or fix them with. The rivets and everything look good. The lid just doesn’t shut.
5. Of the 2 has a fan, but I’d like two fans? Is that even a thing?

If you have links that would be amazing! Thank you!
Josie.Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
What model?

What are you trying to work on that has wood and paint?
Dspchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
I figured it out myself.....

Kindly disregard my previous message....I just looked at your profile and figured it out. I have had to remove some old caulk/butyl tape from places on my AS a few times. I know that they make some caulk remover in chemical form, but I have found that a plastic putty knife and a wooden cloths pin that has been taken apart works for me. I usually do the removal when its warm out the the two mediums of tools works to keep from digging into the aluminum. Once I get the old stuff off, I use a medical grade "Sani-Cloth" to clean up any left over residue and dirt. You have to wear gloves with those things.....if you don't, your hands begin to tingle after long periods of direct contact. As far as any wood, I haven't encounter any rotten wood around my A/C unit. I do lay some towels down on the roof when its been hot so I don't burn myself on the hot roof. I do know what you mean by hot and humid.....not fun, but its better than it being rainy and humid
Old 07-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Indiana
A wooden cloth pin?
It’s gonna be a multi day process.
How would I put a tarp over the vents/ac to keep it from getting inside if it rains?
Old 07-29-2020, 12:39 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
Yep.....a wooden cloths pin. I used like a using a screwdriver to scrape against the aluminum. They're cheap and I didn't have to worry about them creating any damage. I used the plastic scraper to get any left over remnants of sealant and then those sani-cloths.

When I had my vents off the roof, I just used some old plywood and a brick over the exposed vents. I had one that had broken plexi-glass and I cut out a piece of aluminum and riveted it on the vent cover and put in a new gasket. While I had it off, that's when I cleaned and lubricated the lift assembly and the checked the fan motors. It was a lot easier to do from above than from inside. I just used a piece of plywood and brick to cover the open vent while I get the lid repaired.

I am not a purist when it comes to our AS. I want to keep it as original as I can, but I also don't see the need to spend a fortune to do so when you can make it functional and safe.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
Ooops! Sorry for the repeat info.....I walked away for a few minutes (at work) and came back to finish my thought.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie.Small View Post
A wooden cloth pin?
It’s gonna be a multi day process.
How would I put a tarp over the vents/ac to keep it from getting inside if it rains?

Unless you are able to tackle this in an enclosed garage, or under a carport, a tarp is your only real option. Cover large holes with boards or plywood, then throw a tarp over the entire roof, or just over the opening(s) if you want and secure it in place with cordage.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
An oscillating tool with a scraper attachment will make short order of old caulk.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:30 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Indiana
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4040.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	374403Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4042.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	374404Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4041.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	374405

Took the cover of the AC from the inside. The silver bit(insulation) was soaked with water.
So not sure what that means?
Old 08-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Indiana
I have the littlest leak! And I think I found it. I think it’s from the vent in the living room kitchen. We can not get it to close correctly. We’ve tried taking it apart, using a new foam D sail, all the things. And it won’t close! Like can see light coming in.