Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Fantastic Fan Installation Guide

I have been searching around for a tutorial on how to install a Fantastic vent fan on my trailer and searched around trying to find a good step by step tutorial. I found a lot of discussions but not a really good guide to the process from start to finish.

So I installed mine over the weekend on my '71 Overlander and took a bunch of pictures. I put the write-up of the install on my blog rather than recreating it all here. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Airstream Fan-tastic Fan Installation step by step guide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5427.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	239729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5425.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	239730  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5402.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	239731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5409.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	239732  

Ms. Streamy - 1971 Overlander Restoration Blog
chilipepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A Fantastic Story
Old 06-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Terry that is awesome.. I'm not sure how I didn't find that one with Google. Almost identical! Thanks!

Old 06-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thank you, that is a future project I have on my to do list. I would like one in the aft.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Ryan, your blog and workmanship are excellent - I especially like what you've done with the bath cabinet and overhead bins, using the existing frames. Looks great.

As a suggestion regarding the old fan removal, I used an oscillating tool to zip through the rivets, right through the old gasket material like butter.

Looking forward to seeing more of your reno progress,

Alan
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipepper View Post
I have been searching around for a tutorial on how to install a Fantastic vent fan on my trailer and searched around trying to find a good step by step tutorial. I found a lot of discussions but not a really good guide to the process from start to finish.

So I installed mine over the weekend on my '71 Overlander and took a bunch of pictures. I put the write-up of the install on my blog rather than recreating it all here. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions or comments.

The reason for the nose on your face is to keep the rain out. Similarly, your RV Needs a MaxxAire roof vent, also to keep the rain out.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Thanks Alan! How is your project coming? I did think of the oscillating tool but just didn't grab it for some reason. I guess the drill and center punch seemed like a more retro approach!

Mel, thanks for the suggestion. The MaxxAir vents just seem so large to see up on top of the roof of my trailer. I'll have to see how things go without them and then go from there.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
olive hill , Kentucky
thanks for your blog.,,i am new here and the wife and i just purchased our first AS a few months ago and have been putting alot of love and tlc into our 63 overlander-i knew i needed to change out the fan so i ordered the fan-tastic fan and have it ready to start installing,,,i have searched everywhere for info like yours with no luck untill now, again thank you,,,---my question is is there anyway i can run it on city power aswell as just the battery..?-----also will the section in the inside ceiling need to be moded for the trim piece,,,,-----thanks again,,,,any and all help is greatfull....
will wait for any advise before i do anymore,,,,,,thanks in advance....bap-n-nan..
bap-n-nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:43 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Thanks bap! To quickly answer your question, if you have a functioning converter then you will have 12v running throughout the trailer when you are connected to shore power. In other words, the fantastic fan only runs on 12v but when you are connected to shore power it will still run just fine.

As for your other question, you will need to square off the internal skin to get the included Fantastic Vent trim bezel to fit properly. I have heard where someone was able to modify the original interior vent trim to work with the fantastic fan. I have not been able to find an image or any dialog on it however.

Thanks again and good luck!

Old 07-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
olive hill , Kentucky
thank you so much for your help,,,im already thinking how to mod. the upper wood panel ...if it works i will post up pics of my progress,,,,i also need to run a hidden wire from box to an instant hot water heater so that would be a good place to run it threw...----i hope..---lol

again your help and quick reply is greatful...
Old 08-04-2015, 07:23 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
olive hill , Kentucky
just wanted to thank you again for your help,,,,my ff is in and went threw the heavy rain test with zero leaks........i did however have to keep my original city/battery switch in the ceiling also i have to turn it to battery then turn on fan,,,,,only took me 2 fuses to figure that out,,,,lol...

again thank you for all the time you put into your blog and help with me,,,
Old 09-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
thanks for the notes and tips. I think this is my first post. I recently purchased a fairly raw 1965 20' globetrotter. The roof vents leak and the fan is really, really loud and the opening doesn't really work so my first real project is going to be the fanstastic fan. I am sure this will get me oriented with the removal and cleaning of the top panel, a bit of cutting, and the re-install. I'm planning on SS panhead screws for the top and will add pics and notes based on the outcome -- hopefully next weekend!
davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:12 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Riverview , Florida
Fantastic vent blog

Do you have a link to your blog? Did you install with revits or screws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipepper View Post

LaurieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:13 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fNvRjF9qC6...2075785667.jpg

Here is a picture from the blog in the original post. Yes. Pan heads with a washer under them to help distribute the load.