Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2004, 04:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Installation of fantastic Fan

I want to install a Fantastic fan in a 1961 Overlander. 14x14. Can this be done by a novice at sheet metal work. (Me) Does the hole have to be enlarged? What am I looking at as for as complications to install? Thanks for the Help.....Dave....
Old 01-18-2004, 06:07 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Dave,
Welcome to the forum. Yes the hole will have to be enlarged on all sides by approx 1/4 inch. The flange from the Fantastic fan will cover with no problem.

The enlargement of the opening can be done with a tin snips. Just be careful of the wires!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

I installed my fantastic fan with no problems at all. No I didn't have to enlarge the hole, just a tad of trimming was all that was needed. I did order the airstream curved interior bezel, and that needed a bit of trimming with my dremel. For me the worry was the electrical. I wasnt' sure if my 12v/110 system with no inverter was gonna work. I just wired it to the hot 12v circuit, and can switch it off at the fan or the toggle 110/12v switch on the ceiling. Seems to work fine on the 12 v. Not gonna worry about using it on 110. Mike
wildcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Fantastic Fans

Thanks, to thenewKid 64 , got the answer from Mike, 61 overlander , that I wanted to hear, his is a 61 overlander also and his answer I like best because it sounds like less work to me. thanks to both of you. So I'll go for it and see what happens. Thanks Mike... Didn't try the light covers yet....Dave
Old 01-18-2004, 09:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Threads on FF's

I've saved quite a threads list in textfile for this coming project -- each one adds a little something else!

!!! Dabler's install; click his photos for excellent sequence: Fan-tastic Fan Installation With Photos

Fan-tastic vent - has anyone installed one?

Bug filter for Fantastic Fans

Fan-tastic vent - has anyone installed one? (photos of bezel)

A Few Notes on Fantastic Fan Install

vintage vent install

Checking out wiring locations! 1962 globetrotter gets a/c and a fantastic fan

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Installation of fantastic Fan

Greetings David!

If your '61 has the same Hehr vents as those used in '64 which I believe that it does based upon some notes that I have, you shouldn't encounter any problems with having to adjust opening size - - the photo below demonstrates that the installation was a drop-in as the trim is the original Airstream factory trim that was not disturbed during installation. The Fantastic Vent representatives handled the installation of both of my Overlander's fans at the '99 WBCCI International in Dayton.

Good luck with your project.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:06 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

yep, the original 61 vent was the hehr unit. I saved the vent, minus the cover that my wife drove over. don't ask, it wasn't a funny story. mike
Old 01-19-2004, 05:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Fantastic fan installation

Thanks Mike, Bob and Kevin for the help again. I don't know what I would do without your help, I a novice at this but sure enjoy doing this, I'm putting about 8 Hrs a day into it. Not getting in a hurry with anything because with the cost of ventage parts I sure don't want to mess anything up. Anyway thank you and I've tried to give some Karma to all of you but get no action from the button on the page. Maybe you can clue me in on this also. Thanks....Dave...
Old 01-19-2004, 05:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

oh lord, be careful sending me karma, I was always told it would come back to haunt me.......hold a six pack of beer cold for me instead. Mike