Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Fan Motor

I am looking for a fan motor for my bathroom exhaust fan. This a 83 excella.I have tried to visit with Inland RV and vintage about it. Interesting to me.Inland could not answer my questions ,fellow named Greg. The girl I got at first could not tell me anything.Greg did not sound like he wanted to talk about it. Vintage basically told me to contact my local airstream dealer. I know him.he is a nice fellow,far as that goes so were the people at Inland just did not want to sell me nothing.I came away frustrated and wondering why so many people brag about the good service they get from these people and I cannot get them to sell me anything. By the way I have called Inland several times thinking it might be just the day I called they were having a bad day but hey same thing happened every time.So I gave up and thought well maybe you good fellows might shed some light on this for me and possibly even have a motor that Will fit my fan. Many thanks.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
if your vent is this one Out of Doors Mart carries the motor.Ventline Van Vent - Powered 65734 - $67.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Thanks Anthony. You think they sell just the motor? Or mabey just the whole fan? Either way I wil give them a call Monday.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
They sell the motor for the ventline also.Motor for the Ventline Van vent 67249 [bvc0468-01] - $32.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
This link (Ventlines Van Vent) takes you to Out-of-Doors Mart's page that shows the motors and measurements that they carry. You will want to check the motor in your vent and compare it to the two that they carry. The one in my 1983 Excella doesn't match either of these, it is larger.

If your motor doesn't match, that still leaves the option of replacing the entire vent. I have ordered from Out-of-Doors Mart in the past and can recommend them. They are certainly on my short list of places.

In my case, I removed the top cover and oiled the motor-heavily. It had been squealing. It still squealed after oiling. However, after a couple of weeks the squealing stopped and the motor has been fine for well over a year now.

It's worth trying to see if oiling helps. Use a good oil, like low weight auto motor oil. I use Mobile 1 0W-20 to oil electric motors. A quart will oil all the electric motors you have for a long time.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Motor Oil

Generally, it is recommended to use a non-detergent type oil for electric motor lubrication.
However, if it is already squeeling, I wonder if the auto detergent type may initially get to the problem????????? If it works, that makes us happy.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Generally, it is recommended to use a non-detergent type oil for electric motor lubrication.
However, if it is already squeeling, I wonder if the auto detergent type may initially get to the problem????????? If it works, that makes us happy.
Dave
Good points.

When I bought a new motor for the AC on my Trade Wind several years ago, the agent at the counter told me to oil it. He added, "If it's not good enough to go in your car engine, it's not good enough to use here."

Though, as you mentioned, I didn't really use on the vent it till the motor was already shrieking like a banshee.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Vaughan it has been a while since we talked I hope you are doing well after all the snow you all got down that way. My fan needs a motor and it has to fit because of the brackets that hold it up. The skinny motors want work I don't think. The only person I seen that had them was Island. They don't however impress me as being interested in selling me one or helping for that matter. I will call Out-of-door Mart tomorrow and see if they know for sure what motor I have and if theirs will fit mine. I have been trying to do some repairs while down for the winter for a bit. Good to hear from you Vaughan.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegent View Post
Vaughan it has been a while since we talked I hope you are doing well after all the snow you all got down that way. My fan needs a motor and it has to fit because of the brackets that hold it up. The skinny motors want work I don't think. The only person I seen that had them was Island. They don't however impress me as being interested in selling me one or helping for that matter. I will call Out-of-door Mart tomorrow and see if they know for sure what motor I have and if theirs will fit mine. I have been trying to do some repairs while down for the winter for a bit. Good to hear from you Vaughan.
Hi Tom,

All went well here during the snow. I got between 6 and 7 inches here. I just stayed home most of the time.

The only place that comes to mind that you might check would require you to measure the current motor precisely and give them a call. The company is:

Tweedy's Inc.
7400 Landers Road
Sherwood, AR 72117-1607
501-835-1464

Tweedy's is an old family owned business that have been selling RV parts for many years. They don't have a website, but they do have lots of parts and a wealth of information. This is the same place I referred to in my earlier post about the oil. As you know, Sherwood is basically part of North Little Rock. Just don't exceed the speed limit by even one mile per hour in Sherwood.

The motor body in the vent I have is 2¼ inches long and the mounting holes are 2⅜ inches apart. I wouldn't be surprised if you have the same, our Excellas are the same year. I haven't confirmed it, but it looked very much like the motor in the bedroom vent that I replaced with a Fantastic Vent. I didn't save that motor because it sounded like a bunch of loose rocks bouncing around in a dump truck.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:37 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Fan Motor

Vaughan I went ahead just for reference and included a few pictures of my fan motor. As you said pictures help. Mine is exactly as you described 2 1/4 inches long from base to to base.I could not figure any other way to get the images in here but as attachments. I followed the directions I hope it works. Have a great day Vaughan

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00969.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	122224

Name:	DSC00968.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	122225

Name:	DSC00967.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	122226

Name:	DSC00964.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	122227

Name:	DSC00965.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	122228

Name:	DSC00966.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	122229
Old 02-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I am looking for a fan motor for my bathroom exhaust fan. This a 83 excella.I have tried to visit with Inland RV and vintage about it. Interesting to me.Inland could not answer my questions ,fellow named Greg. The girl I got at first could not tell me anything.Greg did not sound like he wanted to talk about it. Vintage basically told me to contact my local airstream dealer. I know him.he is a nice fellow,far as that goes so were the people at Inland just did not want to sell me nothing.I came away frustrated and wondering why so many people brag about the good service they get from these people and I cannot get them to sell me anything. By the way I have called Inland several times thinking it might be just the day I called they were having a bad day but hey same thing happened every time.So I gave up and thought well maybe you good fellows might shed some light on this for me and possibly even have a motor that Will fit my fan. Many thanks.
Tom.

Sometimes verbal descriptions are difficult to interpret.

As per your request, the motor you need for thast fan is displayed on our web site, as part # 83684.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Vintage basically told me to contact my local airstream dealer. I know him.he is a nice fellow,far as that goes so were the people at Inland just did not want to sell me nothing.
Who is the local dealer that you contacted?

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Go to your local motor repair shop. Mine was able to find one right on their shelf that was comparable. If not they can order one. They might even be able to repair yours.
Rick
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Shawn that would be Griffith RV www.griffithrvservice.com. (405) 495-2590 /8113 S.W. 15th
Oklahoma City, OK 73128 Tell Him I told you about the place. They are super people. He always goes the extra mile to help out.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Rick I also had a fellow at a airstream club meeting tell me the same thing the other day. I have that in the back of my mind as a option. I appreciate your post and interest.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Andy I looked at your motor. My question to Greg was will it fit in my Hammond housing correctly. I don't have a vent line fan housing. My airstream dealer said he could not get the motor,that they did not make it anymore and others were going to the vent line fan. I appreciate you posting the information. I had a fellow from Missouri send me a e-mail last night about a new motor he has for my housing. I am waiting to hear back from him, then I Will go from there.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Shawn that would be Griffith RV www.griffithrvservice.com. (405) 495-2590 /8113 S.W. 15th
Oklahoma City, OK 73128 Tell Him I told you about the place. They are super people. He always goes the extra mile to help out.
No need, I know Tom well....I'm surprised that he wasn't able to help you with this issue (although he has been sick, and then there was the weather).

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Yes he said he had been sick. I talked with him yesterday about the motor. So why did you ask about who the dealer was? Were you looking for someone that sold airstreams? Sorry if I misled you. As you know he is not a dealer or at least as far as I know. However he is a great repairman and allot of help. will tell him when I see him next week that we visited on the forum.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #19
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Yes he said he had been sick. I talked with him yesterday about the motor. So why did you ask about who the dealer was? Were you looking for someone that sold airstreams? Sorry if I misled you. As you know he is not a dealer or at least as far as I know. However he is a great repairman and allot of help. will tell him when I see him next week that we visited on the forum.
It sounded like in your search for your motor that he couldn't help you, and Tom's usually good about helping with everything, so I was going to suggest him if you, by chance, went somewhere else (which would be a trek, since there I suppose MS and TX are the closest now). You don't have to say anything to him, our's will be getting our rear-end fixed end of next month once his backlog is clear.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
It's been a while since I've been on the forum. As usual though it's a ton of help.

My bathroom fan is toast. Reading this thread though I was able to order a replacement easily (and I got a window latch at the same time). I ought to have the fan all repaired by our first trip in June now.

Thanks! -Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote