Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Ceiling Vent Fans

Did my 1986 Sovereign originally have electric fans in the ceiling vents? Should I decided to add electric fans, is electric available in that area? Thanks.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Did my 1986 Sovereign originally have electric fans in the ceiling vents? Should I decided to add electric fans, is electric available in that area? Thanks.
Yes and yes.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
If you plan on keeping the trailer for sometime and decide on a fan I would highly recommend the fantastic. The service these people provide is great and the fan is coverd for the life of the trailer not the life of the owner.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Speaking of old vents and hi-jacking a thread - I have a 1981 Excella II that has only vents. The rear vent has no overhead lights near it and the front vent has a light about two feet from it? Will there be any 12 Volt wires in the near proximity or will I have to fish some wires up the wall?
Can you still get parts for the old vents - these vents elevate strait up and ride in a track. The plastic parts on the sides have broken from age.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Speaking of old vents and hi-jacking a thread - I have a 1981 Excella II that has only vents. The rear vent has no overhead lights near it and the front vent has a light about two feet from it? Will there be any 12 Volt wires in the near proximity or will I have to fish some wires up the wall?
Can you still get parts for the old vents - these vents elevate strait up and ride in a track. The plastic parts on the sides have broken from age.
We have replacement vent covers.

The 12 volt wiring is already in the ceiling.

It's a matter of learning the wire color, for the circuit that you wish to use, so that when your new light or fan is in operation, it's currect draw will not cause an overload for that particular circuit.

I would suggest that you purchase a "service manual." They are available for a 1980 and a 1982. Either one would answer that question regarding which circuit and what color wire to use.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' International
Belle Fourche , South Dakota
I have a 1983 31' Sovereign with 3 vents and no fans. I installed Fantastic Fans in both the front and rear. My service manual indicated a blue wire for the front and a purple wire for the rear. The wires are in a bundle just to the curb side of the vent. If you poke around you should find two wires (blue wire and white wire in the front and purple wire and white in the rear). Mine were taped off to the the main bundle with duct tape. Both the front and rear wires had quick connect type ends attached. Not having the maching pieces I just cut them off and used butt connectors to hook up to the FF. My vents did not have integral lighting.
By the way the fans work beautifully.

Rick in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
310astream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Fantastic Fan Testimonial?

Certainly any fan where no fan has gone before is good. But, if I replaced my original ceiling fan in my 71 with a Fantastic Fan what could I expect.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Thanks Andy for the information. I keep threatening to get the service manual.....
I was thinking about getting the Turbo-Maxx fan instead of the Fantastic Fan due to the fact that I think it can be used with the old vent and while it is raining. I looked into the Maxx Fan and apparently they can only be used on a 1985 Airstream or newer. I believe it is due to the different shape of the trailer ceiling.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
crispyboy,
Where did you see that about the MaxFans? I have been contemplating using one for the bath with a Fantastic fan for the front, leaving the center pretty much stock.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I called the MAXX Fan company today to see if there were any issues. When you get a chance maybe you should could call to verify what I heard.

Steve
Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I put three Fantastic Vent fans in our AS...I got the units from Vintage Trailer Supply, as they sell them equipped with a gray/silver top cover, it's plastic, but gives a good look for our AS's. The inside bezel they supply is already cut to fit the curve of the interior ceiling - a good touch. I believe Vintage has an exclusive on this Fantastic unit with the gray covers...and their prices are the better than most suppliers...

Once you get the old vents off, and the skin trimmed in the corners for the new vents, they go on without any problem.

The wires needed run right next to the vent openings and you will be able to hook up the 12 volts when you have identified the correct color wires.

I installed one of the fans with the thermostat to provide some ventilation when we're not around...comes on when it gets warm (according to how you set the control) and shuts down when things cool off.

The other two vents are just the powered versions, to turn on manually when needed, etc.

These fans work best when you 'crack' open a couple of windows...setting the fans to 'exhaust', the cool air is drawn in through the windows and out the roof. I can also switch the one in front to 'blow' air into the trailer, and the rear one to 'exhaust', setting up cooling flow...if you turn on those fans to the 'high' speed, it'll blow off your socks....
Old 11-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #12

New York , New York
Its actually very easy to fit in a Panasonic ceiling vent fan. I was able to do so quite easily!
Apharcyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apharcyde View Post
Its actually very easy to fit in a Panasonic ceiling vent fan. I was able to do so quite easily!
I was somewhat surprised to find a DC version. Details and photos would be appreciated. It appears that the DC motor still requires a 120V 60Hz connection. I didn't see any 12V versions at their website.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Thanks Andy for the information. I keep threatening to get the service manual.....
I was thinking about getting the Turbo-Maxx fan instead of the Fantastic Fan due to the fact that I think it can be used with the old vent and while it is raining. I looked into the Maxx Fan and apparently they can only be used on a 1985 Airstream or newer. I believe it is due to the different shape of the trailer ceiling.
I replaced the old vent with a new fantastic vent(no fan), then installed the turbo/maxx w/thermostat, in the bedroom. I got the vent with the translucent cover for more light, in the bedroom. I installed a fantastic fan in the living area w/thermostat, smoked cover. I did not use gray vents, because the turbo/maxx is white, which matches my a/c cover. Used existing fan wiring. Fantastic fans can be orderd with the interior cover curved to match the curved ceiling.