Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
The "other" flat corning glass

I have a leak in my 66' , I have it narrowed down to the small flat corning window (the 17" wide one) just to the right of my entrance door. The window appears to be held in with a strip of Aluminum buck riveted along the bottom, which in turn holds a gray rubber type weatherstrip around the glass. The grey strips are all shrunk and I believe to be the source of my leak in one corner.
Does anyone have experience removing this window (or the other small flat window under the S.S. window) and replacing the grey rubber pieces or finding a different glazing material to substitute ?
alumascoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Wow, I didn't know a sixty six foot trailer exsisted.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Now Ahab...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Wow, I didn't know a sixty six foot trailer exsisted.
He means '66 not 66'

Those windows were set in a standard, automotive "U" channel that all glass shops kept on large rolls. There is probably a modern-day equivalent.

That said, it may not be your window that's leaking. H2O from a leaking vent will travel down the inside skin until it hits the window frame making us think our window is leaking.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
Sorry for the error, yes a 66 foot AS would be astonishing !
I have the leak pin-pointed to the corner of the window itself, all my interior skins are still off and all leaks in the shell itself have been fixed already, I just have this leak and one on a stripped screw on my furnace cover. The screw at the furnace cover will be tackled when I remove the cover again for installation of a new furnace, so I'm just left with the window seals. Has anyone ever removed one of the windows to re-glaze , and if so how ?
alumascoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
If you’ve pinpointed a small leak one option is to try a flowable sealer.
I’ve used the Permatex sealer with some success on the wing windows on my ’72. Sealants : Permatex® Flowable Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealer
The data sheets don’t indicate acetic acid as a vehicle so it seems to be safe for aluminum.
I used Vulcum to seal the corners on my ’67 where the channel had shrunk. Maybe a combination of the Prematex to seep into the joint. Then Sikaflex or Parbond to build up gap.
Depending on how severe the leak is it might be a better option than removing the window and frame.

Good Luck,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote