Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
north fort myers , Florida
Knob on the end of the window arm of a 1973 tradewind?

I am missing the ends of the window arms that are in the bathroom. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase 2 of these? Are they still available from airstream, or do I need to find some used ones? Please Help!!!! Dave
moormansmari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny1973 View Post
I am missing the ends of the window arms that are in the bathroom. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase 2 of these? Are they still available from airstream, or do I need to find some used ones? Please Help!!!! Dave
We have the knobs, that come from Airstream.

But they are now made of plastic, instead of metal.

The metal type has been gone for several years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If your a stickler for vintage you might try emailing this guy to see if he has any. He bought out an estate of a guy that repaired Airstreams. You may get lucky....

thevillagepeddler@centurytel.net
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
knobs

Quote:
I am missing the ends of the window arms

Click here to see the PLASTIC knobs that are available.

Dan
Old 11-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
EMail Rod at C&G Trailer, www.CGTrailer.com. He has bins and bins of Airstream parts. They bought out the Airstream parts from the factory when it left California in the late 70's. I bet he has what you need.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I need one of those knobs for a window rod - so I checked out both the sites that are listed above - Out-of-Doors Mart ($2.95) as well as CG Trailer ($3.98).

Imagine my amazement when I see that Out-of-Doors Mart's shipping charges to Canada (from North Carolina) is $35~!!

I've emailed the manager there to see if there's any other reasonable shipping fee, because $35 for something the size of a thimble is a wee bit high.

I've also emailed CG Trailers to find out what their shipping charges are.

Does anyone have a spare to sell?

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window knob.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	95556  
Old 02-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Shipping charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
I need one of those knobs for a window rod - so I checked out both the sites that are listed above - Out-of-Doors Mart ($2.95) as well as CG Trailer ($3.98).

Imagine my amazement when I see that Out-of-Doors Mart's shipping charges to Canada (from North Carolina) is $35~!!

I've emailed the manager there to see if there's any other reasonable shipping fee, because $35 for something the size of a thimble is a wee bit high.

I've also emailed CG Trailers to find out what their shipping charges are.

Does anyone have a spare to sell?

Cheers!
Since I have been challenged here I feel the need to explain our shipping policy. We charge what they charge plus $3.00 for the 48 states, and $10.00 for “outside the country”. For “outside the country” we have to take it to the post office. There is overhead in having an employee do that. Our shopping cart is set high for “outside the country” because we have many large parts that are expensive to ship in the mail. If you buy something very heavy it is not proportional to a smaller item. In other words heavier items get a more accurate shipping amount. The freight quote comes from USPS and I have no control what their servers put out. For orders in the 48 states that we can ship in the mail which results is a $5 or $6 dollar savings, we do so and refund the overage. Since we are #1 in Airstream parts sales we have received a discount from UPS, because we ship so much, and we refund that to our customers. There is overhead in the boxes, tape, packing material, and printer supplies, which is where the $3.00 and $10.00 fees come from. 95% of all on-line orders result in a shipping refund.
At the Out-of-Doors Mart we values customer satisfaction which is why we are #1 in Airstream parts sales. We buy more parts from Airstream than anyone and naturally sell more. Our freight rates are one of the main reasons were are #1.
This got me thinking, I do wonder what % of our customers have received a freight refund?
Dan
Old 02-06-2010, 06:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Thanks for the clarification Dan.

I understand the reasoning behind it all, but I think anyone would be a bit amazed at such a high shipping rate for a piece the size of a thimble. Wouldn't you? First impressions count - especially when it concerns money.

I regularly shop online, both at regular retailers and eBay, and have rarely encountered such steep shipping fees, regardless of any type of handling fee.

I did a quick calculation at USPS for a First-Class Mail Large Envelope to Canada - the cost for a 1/2 lb heavy-duty envelope would be approximately $2.33 - and I think 1/2 lb for one window knob is on the generous side for such a small item.

If you're going to assign a one-size-fits-all-and-afterwards-we're-going-to-refund-you-if-necessary type of shipping criteria, I'd think it would be great if such caveats were spelled out in the checkout procedure.

And it's great that your freight rates are good - I'll definitely keep that in mind if I need something large in the future.

I also have to put in a caution in regards to using UPS for international sales. Many non-US people like myself steer clear of using UPS for international shipments due to UPS's unreasonably steep surcharges.

Cheers.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
Thanks for the clarification Dan.

I understand the reasoning behind it all, but I think anyone would be a bit amazed at such a high shipping rate for a piece the size of a thimble. Wouldn't you? First impressions count - especially when it concerns money.
Michelle, I guess you missed the part about Dan having to pay somebody to get in their car and drive the thimble to the post office. In that case, it doesn't matter if it's a thimble or a 55 gallon drum, it costs the same.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
I just ordered parts from Dan a couple of days ago. Got an email a day later refunding half the freight charges.They have done me good everytime.
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
shipping costs

Don't forget the "dduties" that foreign countries add-on as well.

Then have a package delivered to an island in Canada, that is accessible by boat only, especially a large package.

Costs like that are usually outrageous, but the shipper gets the blame.

Andy
Old 02-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
I am looking for a set of knobs too, but the ones I need look different than those discussed here. Mine have a single screw holding two cylinder-looking pieces to the metal. Nobody seems to have these. Any suggestions?
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
I am looking for a set of knobs too, but the ones I need look different than those discussed here. Mine have a single screw holding two cylinder-looking pieces to the metal. Nobody seems to have these. Any suggestions?
The original window operator knobs back then were chrome plated, that is no longer available.

It was replaced with the same shape knob but is now a gray plastic, that can be painted, if you wish.

Andy