Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2019, 12:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Parts ordered - lead time unknown...

...but I didn't ask, either. Insurance agent says don't fool around with it, just take it to someone you are satisfied can do the work. I was planning to drill out the rivets, myself (good advice to file them flat a bit, thanks, and I have a spring loaded sharp punch I used to use to provide a pit for the drill bit) - but I have quizzed a few shops that said they buck rivets all the time and seem to know what they are doing. I think I will ask to see some examples.

More to come...
Old 01-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #22
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Having your Airstream "violated" is disheartening.

I don't know much about modern Airstreams, but the door of my 1968 was very easily removed. Will insurer agree if you remove door and ship it to a repair shop??
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Ship the door

Yes, they would. But having looked over the situation after I removed the inner bezel, I can see familiar territory: bucked solid rivets arrayed such that any minimal selection of bucking bars will do the trick. My preference would be to swing it by the hangar and have an aircraft mechanic do the work, and I may just do that if the RV shop isn't able to show me some examples of their work.

I am also kicking around the idea of using removeable fasteners like aluminum rivet nuts as insurance against the need to replace the window again. I doubt the solid rivets so superior in bonding strength that there is a structural issue for door integrity.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Resolution

I took the coach to my airplane mechanic and he accomplished the work with commensurate skill. Looks great! Glad I did not attempt on my own (or even with offered help!) as the bucked rivets ideally need to be annealed before driving, and the mechanic has all that stuff plus a WIDE variety of bucking bars.

Interesting, and I suppose to be expected: the screen door was the tricky part. Seems the curvature of the door is an approximation from the factory, and must be cajoled into shape so it swings and latches without undue effort. That took most of the repair time.

Northwest Airstream Adventures supplied all the installation parts, tape and rivets well labelled. They even supplied technical support to the aircraft tech in charge of the work.
Such is life a long way from an Airstream dealer...
Old 07-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #25
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Glad you had a good finish to an upsetting situation.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote