Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
1968 Type 3 window hinge not separating

Good morning AS community!

We just got a shipment of replacement windows from VTS and we're planning on replacing at least the leakiest plexiglass window today with the curved glass.

I did some prepwork last night be removing the plexiglass and old weatherstripping from the frame. I followed the instructions that VTS provides regarding Type 3 window frame separation, but I haven't been able to separate the front piece. Here's a side profile of the hinge:

I've removed the screws from the inside of the frame:

Any ideas? It will make it a heck of a lot easier to clean the channel if I can get the hinge separated.

Also, I read about using Sikaflex 221 for bedding the windows but couldn't find any locally. I picked up a tube of Dow Corning 795. It's a structural silicone sealant. Does anyone have experience using it for windows?

Thanks for the help; I've been a forums lurker for a while -- thanks for the good advice so far. I'm looking forward to the day I'm contributing and not just learning...

Steve
air-austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
It looks like you may have a rivet in the center hole between the two screw holes?? If so, perhaps it needs to be drilled out.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Ah, the holes and rivet at the top are where the Olympic rivets come through to hold the top of the hinge to the body. The screws I removed are down by the window arm assembly (the hole next to the screw head that is still present).

I'm not sure why there are holes between the rivet backs at the top; maybe the hinge was fully removed at some point?
Old 10-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Impact?

I haven't had the pleasure of removing one of those windows yet, but I do know the stuff that holds the frames is very sticky, and you may have to slide, say, a gasket scraper between the frame and the shell, and tap downward on it with a hammer to get things moving.
Again, I haven't taken one off, just relating how hard the adhesive is to get apart.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Hinge unstuck!

Ok, I was able to separate the two hinge pieces with a stiff putty knife; good tip overlander63. I had tried a screwdriver earlier but it wasn't enough leverage. Also to note -- the piece that separates is on the inside, not the outside (which is clear from the profile photo, but the VTS description threw me off). Knowing that, the other windows should be a breeze.

Just put in two hours of cleaning the Philips catches, old weatherstrip area and clamping bar. After some lunch I'll be trimming the glass with the metal strips and bedding the window into the clamp bar.

I'll post photos once this first one is in so others can see how the clamp fits together.

Thanks again for the help!

Steve
Old 10-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Window clips don't fit

Alright, the glass is trimmed with the metal edging. This edging fits over the new 1/8 inch replacement glass. I bought the 5/32 inch clips from VTS to replace the old, rusted, smaller ones. I can't seem to slide the clip over the edging though! Anyone have any experience with this? I tried tapping the clip on with a rubber mallet but I'm worried about shattering the glass. I can get the clip on about halfway but I can't seat it against the edging. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 10-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Have you tried bending the clip open a bit and then back? might help...

I have one window to do... front driver side.....But I'm gonna leave it till last.. Someone screwed plexiglass in the frame..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Window installed

I ended up slipping a square shaft screwdriver into the clip and hammering the steel to widen it a bit. I then squeezed the opening of the clip to narrow it to the right gap. This adjustment widened the clip to the right size and I was able to attach it to the window frame. I spread the adhesive and reattached the glass bar to let it dry overnight. I'll be anxious to see how well it all holds tomorrow (and clean up the adhesive from the glass a bit). I expect the other two windows to go a bit smoother now that I have the process down.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Steve

Tags
1968, corning glass, dow corning 795, type 3 windows, window