Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2022, 02:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Indian Rocks Beach , Florida
Starlink in a 2021 Globetrotter

Hi All,

I just ordered my Starlink that I'll use at home and when I'm in the RV. I have a 2021 Globetrotter 25FB. I currently have a Pepwave something with a 5G antenna on the roof. It works pretty good but I need something for more remote spots, hence the Starlink.

Now I'm trying to figure out how and where to install it. I'm not sure I wanted it mounted on the roof since I might need to walk it away from the rig to get a better line of sight should there be trees.

Here is what I am currently thinking and have NO idea if this is feasible. Since I do not use the Cable/Sat ports on the outside of the RV I was wondering if I could remove the sat port and run the wire (not sure how) in place of the sat cable to where the DVD player once was? I could put the router there since there is an outlet there.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
ortsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Wow I have exactly the same setup, 2021 Globetrotter, Pepwave modem and Poynting antenna on top.

I also use Starlink: because my Globetrotter is parked under a tree, I am running a 200ft extension cord from the outside plug to the STARLINK router. The router is mounted on another tree with visual to my Airstream and antenna. From there the STARLINK dish is setup in an open field. My Pepwave grabs the STARLINK wifi as it would grab any other campground wifi.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Not sure which model GT you have (I had a 25' and now have a 30'). But I don't think you'll be able to remove the SAT in wire and then easily pull the starlink cable to where the SAT cable comes in.

For now, I'm experimenting with different cell/sat internet options. I have a weBoost right now, but so far my experience is low and my first impressions are pretty meh as to how much it can do for me. Now that Starlink for RV is out, I'm thinking of getting one of those despite some of it's issues (price, throttled data, iffy availability in the areas I usually camp, and most of all the fact most of my camping is in heavily wooded areas.

I'd suggest a Rube Goldberg solution to start with. Pull the cord thru your stove vent hood and stuff some foam in there to keep the bugs out. My 2021 25' GT did have a roof vent for the electric fridge and I think you could pull a wire thru there but I'm not sure. Don't know if the 30' has the same option as it's in storage right now.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Following
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
I wonder if we'll see a wave of Starlink dishes being stolen soon...
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
They can steal it. However, based on the internal hardware of the dishy, I am fairly certain SL can disable it and track it if the thieves manage to get it setup and plugged in as each Dishy McDishface (as they are called) is unique.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
We are in a 2019 Classic RBQ but with the same data setup. (Pep wave). I had some issues with Airstreams Smart Connection and the upshot was that I kicked Airstream out of the system and took full ownership of it.

The square Dishy has some features that play nice with RVs. The Dishy cable is just cat5e with proprietary connectors on it. It’s fairly common for RVers to cut the cable and put other connectors on it at the cut. I have a weatherproof connector that I put on mine. I left 35 ft of cable with the connector mounted on the battery box. The cable is worked inside through the same access points as the battery cable. I use a 25’ extending pole clamped to the front jack (designed for weboost). The pole easily comes of for travel and clamps back on when we arrive. Takes less than 5 min to set up or take down dishy. Collapsed, the pole is under 5 ft and rides in the TV.

The peplink is set up so that the wan port has highest priority followed by camp WiFi, followed by cellular. For quick stops, the cellular is always active. But as soon as Dishy is attached, it grabs priority and works. I really like the system.

Note that you can “delete” the Starlink router to simplify the whole setup by providing POE to it, but there are a few additional hoops you have to jump through.

I’m putting together a video that I’ll post next week to show what we did.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:10 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Austin , Texas
I'm interested in seeing what you come up with. Just got my Starlink a couple days ago. I've also read the cable is just a cat 5 but I don't think mine is. First it looks like there are more an 8 pins on the connector but it's really hard to see. Also I bought the ethernet jack and I think the switch is in the main unit so that would require more wires also.

I think I'm going to put mine under the front bed along with all the other network gear and run the cable out where the battery cable was. I've got lithium inside now and I think I'll just store the cable in the (now empty) battery box. That's where I have the wire for a solar suitcase.

Probably will get a Pepwave 20x to hook everything together but have not worked out all the details.
trsvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by trsvax View Post
I'm interested in seeing what you come up with. Just got my Starlink a couple days ago. I've also read the cable is just a cat 5 but I don't think mine is. First it looks like there are more an 8 pins on the connector but it's really hard to see. Also I bought the ethernet jack and I think the switch is in the main unit so that would require more wires also.

I think I'm going to put mine under the front bed along with all the other network gear and run the cable out where the battery cable was. I've got lithium inside now and I think I'll just store the cable in the (now empty) battery box. That's where I have the wire for a solar suitcase.

Probably will get a Pepwave 20x to hook everything together but have not worked out all the details.

The 75’ cable (or the 150’ option) is just shielded cat5e cable with standard 4 twisted pair + shield. It’s just a regular cable. There is lots of slack room between the wire and the jacket which makes it seem bulkier but also more flexible. The short section of cable that runs between the Ethernet adaptor and the router does have double the amount of wire in it. Don’t cut that one.

The Dishy uses POE but it is a non-standard configuration. If you are just cutting the cable to get it through the Airstream cable access point and then putting a weather proof rj45 connector on it, you will be fine. The only time you have to worry about the non-standard POE is if you are deleting their router and using your own power supply.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Sounds like you are where I hope to be in a few months. Just ordered the starlink but no idea when it will ship. I see several tech sites (like Tomsguide) are telling people to order Starlink for RV as a workaround to the waitlist for Starlink for home.

Did not know you could cut the dishy antenna for passthru connections. That will defiantly be on the to-do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
The 75’ cable (or the 150’ option) is just shielded cat5e cable with standard 4 twisted pair + shield. It’s just a regular cable. There is lots of slack room between the wire and the jacket which makes it seem bulkier but also more flexible. The short section of cable that runs between the Ethernet adaptor and the router does have double the amount of wire in it. Don’t cut that one.

The Dishy uses POE but it is a non-standard configuration. If you are just cutting the cable to get it through the Airstream cable access point and then putting a weather proof rj45 connector on it, you will be fine. The only time you have to worry about the non-standard POE is if you are deleting their router and using your own power supply.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I think I found a fairly quick and dirty place to install my Starlink in my 30’ Globetrotter. The cable/sat ports come in under my kitchen counter. I can pull the outside receptacle off, disconnect the cable TV line (does anyone still use these?) and cut my Starlink cable, add standard coax cables and port it in thru the cable TV port. There is a cabinet with the access opening down there I can run the line out. Of and either put the Starlink router in the cabinet or on the little shelf by the TV. The TV also has an inverter power receptacle so I can plug in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	486891F5-6939-4D02-8A93-4732F5260F60.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	416904   Click image for larger version

Name:	C543DD7F-76C4-4DD9-86ED-A5079FEE7139.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	416905  

Name:	A31EDF80-9462-4CC5-B045-09B5CEE4DAFE.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	416906  
Old 06-04-2022, 07:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
I don’t think you can cut the SL cord and splice it to coaxial. There are a few recent posts/threads from users on here that show it needs to be an ethernet-type connection I believe.
Old 06-04-2022, 01:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post
I don’t think you can cut the SL cord and splice it to coaxial. There are a few recent posts/threads from users on here that show it needs to be an ethernet-type connection I believe.
Yes, you are correct. My mind is stuck in weBoost lane right now. I’ll have the Starlink in a week or two.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Mine is at home waiting for me to get back from a trip. I’m in the same boat.
Old 06-05-2022, 03:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post
Mine is at home waiting for me to get back from a trip. I’m in the same boat.
Any idea when the 30 day return clock starts? The day it’s delivered or the day you activate it?
Old 06-05-2022, 06:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Any idea when the 30 day return clock starts? The day it’s delivered or the day you activate it?

Billing starts 14 days after they ship it (not after you receive it). The return window is the first 30 day billing period. It took about 5 working days for me to get mine once they shipped it. Note that they count it as shipped once they have purchased a shipping label for it, not when it is picked up.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I was looking for places to pull the Starlink cable thru the floor of my 30' GT. Up front, by the battery box a fat cable bundle goes up thru the floor pan. on the inside, it feeds thru the floor to a hole covered up by a small box held in by 2 screws. Good news/bad news. The good news is the hole is big enough and free of obstructions so the Starlink Cable will feed thru there with no additional modification. So I'll be able to set the router up right by the couch which also has power outlets. Bad news is the hole is big enough for just about anything to crawl up thru.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2106.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	417639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2107.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	417640  

Name:	IMG_2109.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	693.4 KB
ID:	417641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2108.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	417642  

Old 06-19-2022, 09:44 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Another access point for a cable is the closet that is right behind the cable entry area. Going to work out a storage spooler for the antenna something like an extension cord that routes from inside the closet. Pull it out when needed and retract otherwise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/czs08qt94n..._7740.JPG?dl=0
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:32 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
St. Louis , Missouri
Following big-time.
flavortown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Mine is being delivered tomorrow. I'm planning on mounting a telescopic flag pole to the power jack shaft like another member. I'll feed the wire Into the front compartment where I have an extra outlet available. I'll keep the wire spooled up in the oem battery box since I moved the batteries under the bed. It should all work out as long as the wire fits in the box, haven't seen what 75’ looks like.