Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Setup of HD Satellite in 2012 Flying Cloud

I have a 2012 25' FC FB and have been using a standard definition Direct TV setup. I only have one 75 ohm cable port on the outside and a 75 ohm cable connection under the dinette at the rear which feeds up to the blue-ray player and the hdmi cables for both TV's. I would like to use a HD system to be able to access the local ABC, CBS, NBC, etc stations around the country where many are only broadcasting in HD. My question is how to modify my current setup to allow for a HDMI connection from the HD satellite instead of the current 75 ohm cable connection? I know this was a wordy post! Thank's in advance for any suggestions/solutions that come to mind.
Deb Trimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
give it up

u can get all programing in SD…locals….everything
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
I too have the exact same question. I started this thread in a different forum http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...tv-129424.html before finding this one.

Hopefully someone tells us how to do it.
mrpettit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
just order a winegard pathway x2, already have dish service, so will pack the receiver and call and let dish know my location. I will get the same package I have at home, including the local stations
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If it is OK to have the same program on both TVs you can run HDMI over coax with one of these. There may be less expensive alternatives.
Amazon.com: HDMI over Single Coax Extender, Transmitter and Receiver, 100M: Electronics

You will need a slimline direct tv dish, and a Directv HD receiver. Use the one 75 ohm cable to run from the dish outside to the Directv Receiver in the same location as one TV and hook that TV up using the component output from the receiver. Connect the HDMI output to the extender transmitter. Connect the output of the transmitter to the coax cable going to the location of the other TV. At that location connect the coax to the extender receiver and connect its HDMI to the TV.

Solid Signal and Satellite Oasis sell RV kits with slimline dishes, a tripod, and cables. Satellite Oasis has a nice kit with the dish, LNB, tripod, compass and signal meter for around $150.

You will need a setup with a regular LNB, not a SWM, to allow you to use the inexpensive signal meters. With a regular LNB you cannot use the latest H25 or Genie receivers. I got an H24.

In round numbers you are looking at $150 for the dish kit, $99 for the receiver, plus the extender.

You should check with Directv to be sure that the receiver you get can run component and HDMI outputs simultaneously.

You could also go with a SWM setup, and two Directv receivers, one at each TV, but the cost savings of not needing the extender is offset by the cost of a more expensive meter to align the dish with a SWM LNB.

Hope this is of use to you.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
Al and missy thanks for the advice.

My setup only has one tv. I still don't understand how I get the hd signal into the airstream from the portable satellite. I know I have a coax cable Input on the outside of the airstream but I assume I have to have the receiver inside the airstream and somehow get the signal to it. I don't understand how to do that.
mrpettit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Here's my plan.....

OK, first question: Do you currently have an automatic antenna, i.e. a drop and run, or do you have to align manually? I'm not aware of an automatic antenna that will deliver HD from DirecTV. If you're not comfortable with manually aligning a satellite antenna and you want HD, I believe the only option is Dish Network.

Given that you are willing to align the antenna manually, the ability to do this simply and inexpensively is dependent on the configuration of your trailer. In order to get my thoughts organized for my installation I drew up a diagram of how the trailer is currently wired and how I plan to change it. It was only a short step to developing a couple more diagrams for other configurations so I did it and put them all in a document. Be aware that I have not tried any of this yet, so the jury is still out as to whether it will actually work. When I get my system installed I will post the results in a new topic.

A pdf of the document is here:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Satellite TV in an Older Airstream.pdf (276.9 KB, 72 views)
Old 12-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Trimble View Post
I have a 2012 25' FC FB and have been using a standard definition Direct TV setup. I only have one 75 ohm cable port on the outside and a 75 ohm cable connection under the dinette at the rear which feeds up to the blue-ray player and the hdmi cables for both TV's. I would like to use a HD system to be able to access the local ABC, CBS, NBC, etc stations around the country where many are only broadcasting in HD. My question is how to modify my current setup to allow for a HDMI connection from the HD satellite instead of the current 75 ohm cable connection? I know this was a wordy post! Thank's in advance for any suggestions/solutions that come to mind.
Deb,

I looked at the schematic of the coax wiring for your trailer and as far as I can see (if the manual is correct) the satellite receiver feeds a coax to the antenna control panel. The only difference between your trailer and mine is the location of the components, and they have already installed the two jack faceplate (see the document attached to my previous post).

Where is the two jack faceplate located? Do you have a satellite receiver inside, or is yours outside with the antenna? What antenna are you using? Is your current receiver HD? What is the model number?

Al
Old 12-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Genie without Internet

The DBSTalk forum has a thread that concludes internet service is not required for Genie to work. That would seem to eliminate the last technical issue to my "elegant solution" describe in the attachment to my post above made at 5:40. All that remains is the cost issue .
Old 12-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I read the fine print....

The Genie DVR doesn't work wireless to the Smart TV. Requires a coax or ethernet connection. In order to work wireless you have to use a Genie wireless client at each wireless TV. I've updated the document to show that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Satellite TV in an Older Airstream.pdf (277.9 KB, 68 views)