Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Sony radio woes

Our '02 25' Classic emerged from winter without a working tuner. The CD player, cassette player both work fine. The display shows the station entered or 'Seek' if it is chosen but doesn't find a station. Any ideas would be most helpful. Our model is XR-CA600X.
nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's a WAG: perhaps there is some corrosion on the antenna connector.

If you can reach the back of the radio, carefully disconnect the antenna from the radio, put a little bit of vaseline on a finger, wipe it gently on the male connector, smearing it all over the part of the metal that goes into the female part of the radio's connector. Plug and unplug it a few times, then try the radio again.

If it works tell 'em I helped, if it doesn't, you never heard of me!
Old 04-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
is the antenna mast retracted from the storage position?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Thanks to both... looks like we'll be replacing the tuner.
nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I can't wait for my Sony to stop working so that I can replace with an auto stereo that has a much nicer iPod implementation than the hateful Sony XPlod system. It hijacks the iPod controls. On the Sony I can only select music by album name -- tedious in the best of times. Forget ever setting up a playlist or listening to a shuffle.

Or I should just go browse Best Buy before experiencing further frustration with this. Right after I finish the taxes.... in June.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia

Solved our Sony problems with a Bose Wave. SOUNDS so much better and follows us everywhere.

Plus it's Silver...
Old 04-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea, I hear ya on that Bob....I'm in a similar position. I don't want to trash it, cause it works, yet at the same time, it's not really even a good stereo to begin with. I keep my eye open for specials and such and if I happen to be at the right place and the right time, I may just pick something up, but since I spend maybe 4 to 5 weeks a year (total) in the trailer, it's not worth going full out....yet.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
ST

Yeah... ours still works too, 'til 'ya turn it on.

The speakers are junk and they vibrate like crazy with any volume at all.
The factory missed any wood with three of the mount screws on curbside front. Re-mounted with velcro, helped a little but they just don't hold a load.

Plus it's nice having the Bose outside on a starry night play'n sweet and low.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
chapmansboro , Tennessee
hey im new at this first time but i wonder if anyone could tell me how to wire new sony in 76 argosy two speaker wires white wire i dont know what is and green wire dont know any help would help
airhead 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead 76 View Post
hey im new at this first time but i wonder if anyone could tell me how to wire new sony in 76 argosy two speaker wires white wire i dont know what is and green wire dont know any help would help
I don't suppose you have an Owner's Manual...? Or did you Google for one online?

How about posting photos of the wires on the back, plus letting us know the model number?

And welcome to airforums.com!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Yea, I hear ya on that Bob....I'm in a similar position. I don't want to trash it, cause it works, yet at the same time, it's not really even a good stereo to begin with. I keep my eye open for specials and such and if I happen to be at the right place and the right time, I may just pick something up, but since I spend maybe 4 to 5 weeks a year (total) in the trailer, it's not worth going full out....yet.
Our used AS came with the Sony too. It seems to work well enough, but I was disappointed to find that it doesn't have an mp3 input of ipods. I can use one of those fm transmitter gadgets but it doesn't wark all that well - I guess because the antenna is outside the trailer skin.

I too look forward to replacing it with an inexpensive automotive unit with SD card & MP3 inputs, but can't really justify it until it breaks!

One thing I am curious about though ...... The Sony unit is mounted inside a wooden box which itself is inside the front overhead cabinet.

I haven't looked all that closely, but i don't see any visible screws holding together the box that houses the radio, so I'm not sure how to access the radio to remove it without causing damage.

Anyone know how?

Brian?

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
chapmansboro , Tennessee
thanks Aage for the response but it took me all morning to find this what i dont know is what the wires coming in to the argosy function are i know 2white are speakers but another white and green that i dont know what they are for. the back of the radio 4 sets of speaker wire red-yellow for power black for ground
airhead 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead 76 View Post
thanks Aage for the response but it took me all morning to find this what i dont know is what the wires coming in to the argosy function are i know 2white are speakers but another white and green that i dont know what they are for. the back of the radio 4 sets of speaker wire red-yellow for power black for ground
Airhead,

#1 To find a thread that you have posted to before, simply click on the "Quick Links" text in the dark blue horizontal line near the top. Then, just select "Subscribed Threads".

If you have started a thread, or replied to it, it is automatically a "Subscribed" thread.

#2 I'll repeat the questions I asked before for you:

I don't suppose you have an Owner's Manual...? Or did you Google for one online?

How about posting photos of the wires on the back, plus letting us know the model number?

Also, it makes your posts a lot easier to read if you hit return a couple of times every once ins a while, and break up long run-on sentences with the odd period...
Old 08-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
One thing I am curious about though ...... The Sony unit is mounted inside a wooden box which itself is inside the front overhead cabinet.

I haven't looked all that closely, but i don't see any visible screws holding together the box that houses the radio, so I'm not sure how to access the radio to remove it without causing damage.

Anyone know how?

Brian?
Hi Brian,
In our Classic 31, both sides of the radio box (one side in the left cabinet and one in the right) have wood colored plastic hole plugs. Behind those are brass screws.
Hope this helps,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Hi Brian,
In our Classic 31, both sides of the radio box (one side in the left cabinet and one in the right) have wood colored plastic hole plugs. Behind those are brass screws.
Hope this helps,
Ken
Thanks Ken,

Maybe I just didn't look closely enough but if the hole plugs are the type that stick up above the surface like a button, there were not any of those. If they are flush, I may not have noticed them as I just took a casual look wondering how I might get the unit out - or even work on the wiring if I ever had to.

Stands to reason there must be some way to get in there! I'll take a cloer look next time we bring the trailer home.

Actually, I just took a bike ride out to check on the trailer this am as we had a pretty major storm that came across the Toronto area last evening - quite a few homes demolished.

Our trailer is about 15 miles north of our home so I wanted to check it for peace of mind.

Looked fine and I was happy to see no indication of any water leaks - we had torrential rain, worst I have seen here for years.

Cheers ....... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #16
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Brian, Any luck on how to get to the radio? I'm also wanting to get to the back of the radio to wire in a plug for a wireless speaker transmitter. I checked the area out and can not find any hidden screws. There is a small hole on the underside towards the back and there is a small opening in the very back of it, but not enough to be any good.

Bob
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
Brian, Any luck on how to get to the radio? I'm also wanting to get to the back of the radio to wire in a plug for a wireless speaker transmitter. I checked the area out and can not find any hidden screws. There is a small hole on the underside towards the back and there is a small opening in the very back of it, but not enough to be any good.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Since hearing about the hidden screws, I haven't had chance to look for them yet because our trailer is not kept at our house.

I don,'t really have a pressing need to get in there at the moment, as the Sony cd player/radio that is installed works fine.

I was only thinking ahead to the day when it stops working! I'd like to replace t with a unit that has an input for an ipod, I haven't had realluy good success with those ipod fm transmitters.

Sounds a bit discouraging that you haven't found a way to get to it yet - I must admit I didn't see any screw plugs or caps, but there has to be a way!

Could that end panel enclosing the radio be held with some sort of spring clips? Wouldn't seem likely, but if there are no screws accessible, I'm stumped!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

I too have been wondering how to get to the back side of our Sony, it's mounted in the curb side front overhead with no visible mount screws. Will check back often for a resolution...thanks.

Bob
Old 09-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Possible answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

I too have been wondering how to get to the back side of our Sony, it's mounted in the curb side front overhead with no visible mount screws. Will check back often for a resolution...thanks.

Bob
Hi, on my radio in the overhead cabinet there is an access door. [piece of wood] screwed on with about four screws. If you remove this panel you can get to the radio wires. With my radio, was a little plastic box which held my radio remote, which I never use. But inside of this little box, are two little release tools for removing your radio. [similar to the Ford radio release tools] I believe there also should be instructions on how to use the release tools.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:50 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic

Bob,

Just went out to look for the panel you spoke of, don't see any screws or an access panel. Could you post a quick pic.