Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
LED or LCD

Which is better for installation in the Airstream? Which holds up better to the road vibrations?
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
That's a good question, and one I don't know the answer to. We do have an LED television, have had it for about 40,000 miles, two trailers, and have had no troubles with it. Hope it doesn't quit tomorrow. It has, however led a pampered life as it is not mounted permanently, and rides face down on the front couch.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
LED is the term for Light Emitting Diode. LCD is generally Liquid Crystal Display. Two very different things.

So, what is your question about? Not trying to be obtuse here, just I don't know what you are asking.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
I believe durability is close to a wash between the two. The screens are basically the same - they are LCD screens which have arrays of solid state cells (pixels) whose transparency is controlled electrically. - The difference is in the technology used to backlight the screen; LED TVs use LEDs for backlighting, LCD's use CFL (compact fluorescent) . In either case, no moving parts, no filaments to fatigue or break. LED TVs will have a little thinner body, and consume a bit less energy.

Buy what looks good to you. Look for contrast, off axis viewing, color purity.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We used to have a 19" Sony LCD TV in our Bambi which was not digital ready. We switched it out for a digital-ready 19" Samsung LED 19" which we really like. It's a LOT lighter and it fit on the articulating mounting arm with no modifications. We took the old LCD into the house and now use it out kitchen on cable (which makes it not being digital-ready moot)...it all worked out great!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I recomend a brick

A well constructed brick will effectively destroy either and you can then read, sit outside, or heaven forbid, engage others in conversation .

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
A well constructed brick will effectively destroy either and you can then read, sit outside, or heaven forbid, engage others in conversation .
Hi, we have a little 15" LCD television in our trailer and have thought about buying a newer model TV; Now in the same size case as my 15" model you can buy a 19" or 20" TV. For over nighters we don't bother hooking up our TV [television] and if we stay for a few days, to maybe a week, we will. On our recent Alaska trip, we traveled over 10,000 miles and were gone for 50 days; On this trip, my television was never removed from it storage compartment and we never missed it. It was so nice not to hear about all the [BAD] news being broadcasted.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Presently, there are 2 types of flat panel TVs: Plasma and LCD. All LCD TVs use a light source behind the LCD panel to illuminate the image. The older sets use a cold cathode fluorescent light source (CCFL). Some of the newer models use LEDs for the light source. Whether fluorescent or LED, the set is an LCD TV. Some manufacturers claim lower energy consumption or better contrast with the LED backlight. Many believe the LEDs will have a longer useful life compared to a fluorescent panel; some studies predict a fivefold increase in useful service for the LED vs CCFL backlights.

Technology in consumer electronics is constantly evolving after decades of relative stability. A color TV from the 90s could reasonably be expected to provide service for 15 years or more. We really don't know how long these new TVs will last. A TV in an RV is stressed beyond the home environment: Temperatures that may range from 0F to 120F, vibration from travel, etc. We really don't know the long term reliability of any of them. If I was shopping for one now, I would struggle with LCD with LED backlight because it is the current hot item vs price, thinking something more desirable may be available in a few years.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Oh, now Rodney...put your brick away. Being able to carry on a conversation and enjoying a TV show are not mutually exclusive.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Get an LED back-lit panel. The 'standard' LCD panel uses fluorescent tubes... usually two... and I've had a TV blow a tube. It is repairable, but with the price of TV's now, is not practical. LED's are either edge-lit, or full-panel... in either case you are talking about 100's of individual light sources, so if one LED happens to go down, you won't likely notice.

Again... they are repairable... but not practical unless you're handy to a high-end repair shop.

Any electronic is going to take a beating in a trailer... get a cheap one you can replace easily, or if you spend more, get a good warranty.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker
Lol....
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote