Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
digital tv: splitter or amplifier?

Just finished creating an rv "hookup" in my driveway...ran 30 amp, water and a run of rg-6 from a service post near the camper's parking spot, (see: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ome-27411.html) through a trench, about 50 feet from the house. another 10 or 15 feet from there to a spot where I could tie it into the existing cable line.

the line in the house was already cut/spliced together w/ a coupler/ground block, so I simply removed that, and replaced it w/ a 2-way splitter, and connected the other output to my trailer's line.
(this is just so that there is basic cable out in the trailer. not putting a digital tv box out there).
turned on the tv...works fine. However, the tv in the house that is attached to the digital cable box, doesn't like the degraded signal. (lots of skipping/tile-ing of the picture...evidence of degraded signal.).
confirmed it was the extra signal drain on the line. I double checked the connections, but there was no improvement until I disconnected the new branch altogether.
I know, "digital" tv is very fussy about signal quality; had some issues w/ direct-tv years ago, due to some rg-75 wiring in the house. that had to be replaced w/ all rg-6 in order to work properly. same goes w/ digital cable.
so the question is, can this be solved w/ a different type of splitter? I saw some more expensive "digital" splitters in the store when I picked up this standard one. there was no explanation of the difference in price on the label that I could see. OR, do I need an amplifier? special type?
(problem w/ an amplifier is that there isn't any electrical outlet handy for it in the basement.).
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Chuck, can you go to where the cable goes into the house, and make a connection there? Some connector boxes around here have two or three taps in them for the coax to go into.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Chuck ~ Can the cable company pump your volume up a little. I split mine for internet access as well as two other pre cable box drops. No issues on any drops. My cable box is HD Digital.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote