Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
AS Eddie Bauer 25FB in CA

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Pasadena , California
Backup Camera

We just got our 19' Bambi CCD '06, and I'm thinking I'd like to add a backup camera to the back of the trailer. (The 2006 manual says there is wiring for such a camera already, but reps at Airstream say this system was never installed in the CCDs even though it wasn't corrected in the printed manual).

I'm wondering if anyone has added their own backup camera? I put a license plate mounted camera on my tow vehicle that works with the Pioneer dash GPS screen, but now I'd like to add a 2nd camera and A/B switch and be able to see behind the trailer, too. The mirror options for my tow vehicle aren't great, and having the ability to switch on a cam view behind while going down the road or backing into a site would be great.

Looks like I could mount on the trailer license plate easily, and perhaps even get power from the license light. But any suggestions on where to run the wiring to the front of the trailer? Any channels where wiring runs from back to front...or underneath? Especially wondering if I can tap into the 7-pin connection (any unused pins here that brake controller or running lights don't use?) that would get the wiring to the front of my vehicle. Be nice not to have to add an RCA connector taped to the 7-pin harness, but I'll do that if I have to.

My first time on the forum...any advice?
braska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Cool

Hi Braska, and welcome to the forum!

While wireless cameras have been bandied about on the forum, they are no match for a wired unit. I have a wired unit on my 28 footer. I wired mine underneath the trailer with little wire clips which I pop riveted to the belly pan.

The wire runs to the tongue where it meets up with the connector for the tow monitor.

I mounted my camera inside, behind the rear window, but outside is fine too.

For more info try the forum search feature (use the google search option)

Best,

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Bonney Lake , Washington
I added two cameras placed just to the outside of each tail light.(see pic) The plastic molding of the Argosy made mounting the cameras pretty easy. I ran the wires inside during the remodel and had to use a separate five pin connector to the tow vehicle. A three-way switch on the dash toggles between left and right cameras on the trailer and the back-up camera on the tow vehicle. The cameras work great for seeing traffic from behind and sides. While I can see traffic, it is difficult to tell distance because there is no point of reference. This also makes backing the trailer using the cameras difficult. The back-up camera on the tow vehicle works great because the hitch ball and bumper are visible on the screen. I find that direct sunlight can momentarily mess up the cameras. (better cameras may solve this) All in all, I would do it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1652.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	77792  

Tags
rca connect, video wiring, camera