Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
AM/FM/DVD/IPOD audio input receiver info needed

Ok I'm getting close to beginning the Audio Video portion of the trailer. It will all be new. So, I will be installing one flatscreen TV, receiver and speakers. I was hoping to install a receiver like you would have in your car that will allow me to play either music or a DVD that would be displayed on the TV and broadcast over the speakers. So I need suggestions for all of the components. I have looked on Cruthfield they seem to have a great variety and good prices but I just don't know what to get.

Thanks
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
I've been thinking about my A/V system recently and have done a little research. This is one of the systems that I am considering down the road when my tailer has an interior.

Concertone® 12V RV Entertainment Systems

It's a bit on the pricey side, but I like the all in one type system.

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Got this for home and trailer....

You will be hard pressed to find better sound quality, plus you can take it with you...
six disc changer, Ipod compatible
it's silver....

Wave Music System – Wave Radio and Music Systems - Bose Bookshelf Stereos and Table Top Radios
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PWDCA National Speciality 2008 017.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	75540  
Old 02-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Aww, I see Bob has something good going on there! BOSE, what can I saw, oh thats right, I cant even say that....hmmm...how do I put this.......they provide my paycheck every week? Yea, thats really all I can say about that. However, if you have an ipod, the Sounddock Portable would be better!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Our A/S came with a Sony MEX-R5 multi-disc player. It does a pretty good job. The issue many of us have had with the subwoofer making grumbling noise can be fixed using a ground loop isolator. I got mine from Crutchfield.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Laura,
Not into pod music, if was up to me I'd bring the vinyl.

They make good stuff, started with 901 3's way back when. They even swapped them for the series 6 when I had a problem, way out of warranty. Great company, sooper products, with outstanding customer service, Airstream are you listening?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucksrul View Post
Ok I'm getting close to beginning the Audio Video portion of the trailer. It will all be new. So, I will be installing one flatscreen TV, receiver and speakers. I was hoping to install a receiver like you would have in your car that will allow me to play either music or a DVD that would be displayed on the TV and broadcast over the speakers. So I need suggestions for all of the components. I have looked on Cruthfield they seem to have a great variety and good prices but I just don't know what to get.

Thanks
JC install the Sony Xplod series of entertainment systems. DVD player multi zone speakers systems multi disk CD possibly DVD changer. Sub woofer.....

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I got a device from Best Buy that plugs into my iPod and the cigarette lighter, and transmits the iPod's signal over almost any FM frequency. You could plug this into the 12 volt receptacle and play the iPod over the radio in the trailer.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Thanks for all the info. I could quite possibly be more confused than before.
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I bought a Craig stereo car sound system with an AUX jack ($38.00). I replaced all the speakers in my 73 airstream with new ones which are the same size as old ones (be careful you do not get a tweeter sticking out to far or the covers won't fit. I put in a DVD player ($29.00 walmart) and hooked it up to a cheap 19" flat screen and presto it all sounds and looks awesome. The DVD, and TV are hooked to the craig.

We buy 4 and 5 dollar movies plus we have Direct TV. It is all you need. Moral of this story is don't spend a lot of money. I bought every thing on closeout sales. and went for off brands.

Lothlorian
Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The Sony XPlod implementation for iPods is an unworkable disaster. You have to buy an adapter to fit between an iPod & a Sony. Your iPod controls are suspended and control is through the Sony unit -- and garbage control it is -- everything is sequenced by album name and nothing else on mine. Scrolling and selecting is tedious. Don't expect to find one song or use your iPod playlists.

Note any post by myoung in these threads:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...kup-18239.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...tem-28228.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...rce-34267.html

I don't do TV on the road. But I aim to get around to installing an auto stereo that works with an iPod.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #12

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
The Sony XPlod implementation for iPods is an unworkable disaster. You have to buy an adapter to fit between an iPod & a Sony. Your iPod controls are suspended and control is through the Sony unit -- and garbage control it is -- everything is sequenced by album name and nothing else on mine. Scrolling and selecting is tedious. Don't expect to find one song or use your iPod playlists.

Note any post by myoung in these threads:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...kup-18239.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...tem-28228.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...rce-34267.html

I don't do TV on the road. But I aim to get around to installing an auto stereo that works with an iPod.
I don't have that adapter. I have a RCA stereo ports that I use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter....

Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
I guess it would depend on how much you are willing to spend. The car radio/DVD receivers are up their in price. It has been my experience that DVD player no matter what fail. I have purchased cheap ones and expensive ones and everyone breaks after a year or two. So for now I only get the $30 Walmart DVD players, they are not anything fancy but you push play and they work. Spend the money on the stereo and speakers and a separate DVD player that you can hook up to the audio. You will get the same result but less problems when something breaks.

As far as the Ipod, if you get a new stereo most of them come with a USB port or other plug on the front that you can plug your Ipod into. A lot of them even give you the cable that you require to plug the Ipod into. Just make sure that it say something about the Ipod and it should tell you that it includes the cable.

Good luck
Nick
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucksrul View Post
Thanks for all the info. I could quite possibly be more confused than before.
Glad we could help. Let us know if we can confuse you further.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #15
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Laura,
Not into pod music, if was up to me I'd bring the vinyl.

They make good stuff, started with 901 3's way back when. They even swapped them for the series 6 when I had a problem, way out of warranty. Great company, sooper products, with outstanding customer service, Airstream are you listening?

I infact did some research behind why Bose didnt sign a contract with Airstream for sound systems, turns out, we only do systems that are built specially for the customers trailer.The are all custom to the owners trailer. Most customers that have this kind of money, have over million dollar rigs, and it take about 3 days to install the system and the Calibrate it. I tried to get two great companies together, guess it didnt work!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Laura,

Well, I couldn't be more pleased with the Wave, in fact I'm using it more and more in the house. Stands up well against the 901's and Acoustimass in the living room.
As you can imagine it more than fills a 25' AS.
The Factory installed system....don't compare.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #17

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post
I guess it would depend on how much you are willing to spend. The car radio/DVD receivers are up their in price. It has been my experience that DVD player no matter what fail. I have purchased cheap ones and expensive ones and everyone breaks after a year or two. So for now I only get the $30 Walmart DVD players, they are not anything fancy but you push play and they work. Spend the money on the stereo and speakers and a separate DVD player that you can hook up to the audio. You will get the same result but less problems when something breaks.
[deleted]
Good luck
Nick[/quote]
Nick I have an Alpine in my truck. It came out of rolled truck and still works. The sony unit my trailer has three year of continuious use and has been in two accidents. Still works fine.