Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
Ipod as music source

Thought I could hook my Ipod into the audio input jacks and tune the reciever to an aux input, but the reciever doesn't find anything but tuner and multi-disk changer. Anyone had success using the Ipod as a music source? Hate to leave 6643 songs at home.

Maybe I should post this on the TV/DVD\AUDIO threads.

Thanks in advance.
billberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Bill,

I use an FM transmitter that plugs into my IPOD. Inexpensive and it works well.

Steve
Old 07-15-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
I may try the FM transmitter, but I thought I had a direct source. I took it all apart today but way to darn may wires for me on a Sunday morning. I had company last night (this morning),.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I have an Alpine that is hardwired for iPod in my car. My Airstream is equipped with the original Motorolla 8-track radio receiver, so iPod isn't an option there. I use a Specktone iPod speaker system. It has a retro look that suits the trailer and sounds great.

SpeckTone Retro from Speck Products!

When money comes available, I'll likely have an iPod ready car stereo installed into the spot the Motorolla presently sits (above the front gaucho).
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Bill
What kind of radio is in your Safari?

My 2005 CCD has a Sony system - I bought a add-on box (also made by Sony, about $100) that provides inputs for iPod, a USB (so I can watch a movie on my laptop and play the audio through the stereo system in my trailer), and some Aux inputs. The Sony radio is designed to recognize this extra box, and operates with the front panel or the remote control.

If you have a Sony, I can send some info on my setup to see if something like that is available for your model.
Bob
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
It's a Sony system and Airstream provided an input for an RCA jack and a 12 volt adapter. I think they may have wired it wrong bacause the source selector on the Sony receiver will select tuner, cd changer, and DVD if a DVD is in the drive, but I can't get an AUX source at all.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by billberk

Thanks in advance.
I've moved it into the A/V area, maybe you'll get more responses here.
Our Ipod works well with the transmitter option.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
The Sony in our Airstream is less than useless as an iPod compatible device. We'd have to buy another device to put between the Sony and the iPod to just get the iPod to play on the Airstream's inferior speakers with no iPod-like navigation on the Sony. All around a bad, bad deal. Perhaps in a decade or two, Airstream will notice the ubiquity of the iPod.

So, we either use the iPod itself, the PowerBook with iTunes, or best of all the Apple Hi-Fi with the iPod. The latter has outstanding sound and quality. Worth a look.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Thought I could hook my Ipod into the audio input jacks and tune the reciever to an aux input, but the reciever doesn't find anything but tuner and multi-disk changer. Anyone had success using the Ipod as a music source? Hate to leave 6643 songs at home.

Thanks in advance.
How many video inputs does your reciever have, my Ipod also has music, photo's and movies.....
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
It's a Sony system and Airstream provided an input for an RCA jack and a 12 volt adapter. I think they may have wired it wrong bacause the source selector on the Sony receiver will select tuner, cd changer, and DVD if a DVD is in the drive, but I can't get an AUX source at all.
Bill I think it will work. I cannot remember the sequence offhand but once you have the IPod on and hooked up the cd player will go to aux in its searching. I think I had to press mode to cycle it. I shall go out and write it down. Meanwhile you may turn up the thread or post by the catsandi to Wheelinterested about the Ipod. Back in a few...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Bill,

Our unit is in storage now but it plays the iPod thru the stereo just fine.

I think I have to hit the "source" button a couple of times.

The TV can also play thru the stereo, not just the DVD.

It took awhile to figure out. The stereo instructions are like reading stereo instructions.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I didn't check just now for tv but there again have the tv running first and keep pressing the mode button, I think tv is CD2 Aux.

For the IPod:

Connect it and have it running (at least I do so I know when I get it right! lol)
Turn on the radio and that same first button on the left or "source" button, sequences for me to tuner or CD after selecting CD I then hit the second button "mode" and it goes through CD1 Load, CD2 Load, or No magazine,etc., keep pressing mode and stop at CD3 and aux 2 will show up in the readout and you will hear the IPod.

photography
Old 07-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
Wow. Thanks for all the response! I'll try your suggestion in the morining Carol from Michigan. I thought I scrolled through every mode setting on the CD source selection, but I'll try again.

Seriously, you're all great to try and help with this. What a great community!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I'll be crossing my fingers for you! It does take a second or two for it to change to auxilliary and it may have to be on. Here's hoping its the easy fix. Otherwise I am certain as you say that this forum with all its helpful members will put you onto the answer.

photography
Old 07-15-2007, 09:49 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Connecting and iPod to a Sony Airstream radio

We have a 2003 25' Classic and it came with a Sony CDX CA400 radio, which has a CD player built in and several connections on the back. There is no AUX connection, but the player can connect to a CD changer (which we don't have). One connection is for "Bus Audio In" and another for "Bus Control In." After I read the manual (I should say skimmed) I told my wife we could not connect the iPod to the radio. But she got on-line with Crutchfield.com. They have an on-line advisor service and the guy she talked to (ie, emailed back and forth) recommended getting a part (I don't recall the part number and we're on the road) that connects to the Bus Control In connector. When this little device is connected, the radio thinks another CD player/changer is connected when you connect your iPod through the Bus Audio In connection. Works like a charm--for under $75. The "source" LCD on the front of the Sony reads "CD2" when the iPod is in use. We have the 30GB iPod. Give Crutchfield a call or email, and they can probably help you.

George and Pat Hatfield
ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:26 AM   #16
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Did you check Radio Shack for a 8-track to Ipod adaptor?

I bet you could really upset their day asking that one.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The Sony in my '07 Safrai has an AUX jack on the front panel.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:11 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
Problem solved. It was as Carol said. With CD as the source, the mode toggles through CDC1=Multi Disk Player, CDC2=Aux 1 (the inputs on the front panel for the Ipod), CDC3=Aux2, and CDC4=USB

With the Ipod playing, I selected CDC2 and waited to hear music. I did have to crank the volume quite a bit.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:21 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I did have to crank the volume quite a bit.
On the Ipod, or the stereo?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:33 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
North East , Texas
I have the JVC CD/DVD Tuner in my 2005 Safari. It came with the 6 disc CD changer. I abandoned the CD changer for an MP3 player. I bought an adapter at Radio Shack that plugs into the input where the CD changer was. It works perfectly.
Old_Town is offline   Reply With Quote