Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Adding another input video source to newer models

I'll apologize in advance for a wordy post with a lack of images. I didn't take any when everything was apart, which probably would have been the most helpful. Regardless, I have described the process, attached a few images, and provided links to the products that I used. Let's go...

First of all, I replaced the stock DVD with the Sony BDP-S3700. This model has the same chassis size, but with WiFi built in. This will allow access to some streaming services. The reason for this is a previous mod, outlined in another post where I take the audio output from the DVD and run it into the Optical in (through a converter) to the Fusion head unit. This allows for any video content from the DVD player (DVD, USB file in, Streaming, etc.) to play the audio component through the Fusion; a HUGE step forward...

Now, you will need the following products:

OREI HD-202 2x2 HDMI 1.4V Matrix Switch/Splitter (2-input, 2-output) with Remote Control Supports PIP, MHL, HDMI 1.4, 3D, 1080p, 4K x 2K

Expert Connect | 4K 330ft HDMI Extender Over Cat5e / Cat6 / Cat7 Ethernet Cable, 1080p, 3D

Power Strip 3 USB Ports and 3 AC Outlets with Flat Plug 360°Rotating Plug BULL White Cube Surge Protector 5ft Extension Cord 1875W Multiple Protection for Home and Office, UL Listed, 2020 Upgraded

Monoprice High Speed HDMI Cable - 2 Feet - Black| Certified Premium, 4K@60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 36AWG, YUV, 4:4:4 - Ultra Slim Series (124183)

WiRoTech HDMI Cable 4K Ultra HD with Braided Cable, HDMI 2.0 18Gbps, Supports 4K 60Hz, Chroma 4 4 4, Dolby Vision, HDR10, ARC, HDCP2.2 (3 Feet, White)

GE Outlet Wall Tap, Extra-Wide Spaced Adapter, Easy Access Design, 3 Prong, Black, 47494, 1 Pack

Ethernet Coax Wall Plate - Coax RJ45 CAT6 Ethernet Cable Cover Plate Female to Female - 1 Port CAT6 Keystone Jack + 1 Cable TV Coax F-Type Connector

2" White Desk Grommet (5 Pack) (White)

Apple Lightening to HDMI

(the following items are for the audio into the Fusion unit. Not required, but highly recommended while you have everything apart)

Optical to Coaxial or Coaxial to Optical Digital Audio Converter,Musou Bi-Directional Digital Coaxial to/from SPDIF Optical (Toslink) Audio Signal Adapter Repeater Splitter

Mediabridge Ultra Series Digital Audio Coaxial Cable (2 Feet) - Dual Shielded with RCA to RCA Gold-Plated Connectors - Black - (Part# CJ02-6BR-G2)

Cmple - TOSLink Optical Digital Audio Cable SPDIF Compatible with Dolby Digital DTS Surround Sound Bar Cord - 1.5 Feet

My apologies for not linking, but I can't figure out how to get the links to work. Copy the text into Amazon; I ordered everything from there.

Now, the process. I'll reference the three attached photos and the products above on what needs to be connected to what, what has to be removed, replaced, etc.

First of all, note that I have included a link to a power cord with three plugs and three USB hubs. When the locker box is removed, it is a great time to free up an inverter plug by connecting everything that requires power (DVD, matrix splitter, and HDMI to Coax) to the multi cord. I also connected the optical to coaxial converter to one of the USB ports so the USB connected to the Fusion would remain active; this active hub on the front of the box is one way to update the unit. I also connected a USB lightening cord to the multi plug so we have power charging an apple device when we are using it to stream on video source 2.

Remove the old DVD (to be replaced with the new) and the Fusion head unit. You will also have to remove the fasteners securing the white box to properly route cords. Remove the entire box and cut a new grommet hole into the top of the box (with a 2" hole saw), noting where there are hidden fasteners as well as where the fusion will eventually be remounted. If you are staring at the top of the box with the front of the box towards you, cut in the upper left hand corner of the top surface. This is where the new extension cord exits to plug into the inverter outlet. Also, the splitter eventually is mounted to the top of the box. All connections that must be made to the splitter must have a cord end that exits through this new grommet hole. Lastly, a lightening cord and a HDMI cord need to exit here for our second source. You can order a 2" grommet from Amazon. Just use the trim ring, you won't be able to use the cover...too many cords.

Second, remove the existing splitter and its power source. This unit takes the HDMI from the DVD and splits it to the front TV (HDMI) and the rear TV (Coaxial to the second TV location). The new Matrix splitter and the HDMI to coax (and back) converter set replaces this piece, and gives you the extra source functionality.

For reference, Lounge TV is Output 1, Bedroom TV is Output 2, DVD is Source 1 and second input is Source 2.

Connect everything up as follows. DVD HDMI out to matrix splitter input 1. Take the HDMI that was connected to original splitter (output) (heading to the front TV) and connect that plug to matrix output 1. Take new HDMI input and connect it to matrix splitter input 2. This give you your second source. Take a new short HDMI cord and connect matrix splitter output 2 to the HDMI side of the Cat5 converter. (Make sure you get the right one. They come in a pair. At the media locker end, you need the HDMI to Cat5. At the bedroom TV, we will use the Cat5 to HDMI). Take the existing Cat5 cable and plug it into the output side of this device. Connect DVD power and HDMI/Cat5 converter power to the new plug that you have buried in the box. If you are doing the audio mod as well, plug the coax converter usb power into one of the usb hubs on the plug. Also, connect the USB to lightening plug into this. In my case, the new HDMI cable and the lightening cable are plugged into the Apple Lightening to HDMI adapter. Your setup may vary depending on how you want to use the second input.

With the new plug and HDMI/CAT5 boxes buried in the lower floor of the box, install the DVD and Fusion head back into their homes.

Now, in the Bedroom, remove the switch plate that has the coax and HDMI outs from the wall. Disconnect the chords and throw it away. Replace it with a switch plate that has a coax (cable) port and a Cat5/6 port. Reconnect the coax cable to the new plate. Connect a Cat5 cable to the new plate, and connect the other end to the other half of the HDMI / Cat5 pair input. From the output side, connect the HDMI cable from the tv. Split the power coming out of the outlet so you have power to both the TV and to the new converter. Velcro mount the converter to the wall.

If all is connected correctly, you should be able to send DVD content to one or both TVs as well as the second video source to one or both TVs. If you did the audio mod as well, Audio from the DVD will play through the Fusion but any audio from the second source will still only play through the TV audio.

See attached photos and reach out with any questions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0210.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	382280   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0212.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	382281  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0213.jpg